Is it possible to revive a series?

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
      A question to the more worldly and knowledgeable of you:

      Is it possible to convince the publishers of a dropped series before it finished (such as the strawberry panic novels) to finish off the series?

      OR

      If the first is impossible how (like with Yotsuba&!) can we as fans of a series convince a different group to buy the rights to the property when the first groups license runs out?

      Just something I thought we should know all the information on considering.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
        > Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 20:25:47 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Is it possible to revive a series?
        >
        > A question to the more worldly and knowledgeable of you:
        >
        > Is it possible to convince the publishers of a dropped series before it finished (such as the strawberry panic novels) to finish off the series?

        Sure - buy 6000 copies of the book.

        The companies don't need to be "convinced" - they need to make enough money to finance the next book in the series. In the case of SP3 , Seven Seas said flat out that the sales for Volume 2 of the LN were so bad that the weren't going to do volume 3.

        > OR
        >
        > If the first is impossible how (like with Yotsuba&!) can we as fans of a series convince a different group to buy the rights to the property when the first groups license runs out?

        Again - it's not "convincing" that is the issue - it's money.

        If a company has the money and can make that money back and enough to pay forward for the next volume, they continue to publish a book. If not, the license lapses. Not too many companies can afford to take an unprofitable book on.

        Your passion is great - but you still only buy one copy.

      • mara_papimer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
          I apologize I was unclear.

          When I said 'convince' I meant 'convince that item XXX will be profitable'. With my limited imagination I could only conceive of some mass pre-perching of the book by those that know of it. And that would have to be 'everyone' like at the end of 'Leon' everyone so I can't see it being feasible.

          Ah well if it is impossible, que sira sira.

          > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
          > > Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 20:25:47 +0000
          > > Subject: [Yuricon] Is it possible to revive a series?
          > >
          > > A question to the more worldly and knowledgeable of you:
          > >
          > > Is it possible to convince the publishers of a dropped series before it finished (such as the strawberry panic novels) to finish off the series?
          >
          > Sure - buy 6000 copies of the book.
          >
          > The companies don't need to be "convinced" - they need to make enough money to finance the next book in the series. In the case of SP3 , Seven Seas said flat out that the sales for Volume 2 of the LN were so bad that the weren't going to do volume 3.
          >

          > > OR
          > >
          > > If the first is impossible how (like with Yotsuba&!) can we as fans of a series convince a different group to buy the rights to the property when the first groups license runs out?
          >
          > Again - it's not "convincing" that is the issue - it's money.
          >
          > If a company has the money and can make that money back and enough to pay forward for the next volume, they continue to publish a book. If not, the license lapses. Not too many companies can afford to take an unprofitable book on.
          >
          > Your passion is great - but you still only buy one copy.

          > http://www.yuricon.org

          > Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits.
          > http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Storage_062009

        • Jaymie C
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
            Man, that's a shame. i do go out and support series i like (have all 7 currently published volumes of Yubisaki Milk Tea, all the current Hayate X Blade, Voiceful, and the 2 SP LNs, working on getting the BakuTen tankobon) and have been waiting, apparently futilely, for the 3rd SP LN.

            When I said 'convince' I meant 'convince that item XXX will be profitable'. With my limited imagination I could only conceive of some mass pre-perching of the book by those that know of it. And that would have to be 'everyone' like at the end of 'Leon' everyone so I can't see it being feasible.

            Ah well if it is impossible, que sira sira.

            > > A question to the more worldly and knowledgeable of you:
            > >
            > > Is it possible to convince the publishers of a dropped series before it finished (such as the strawberry panic novels) to finish off the series?
            >
            > Sure - buy 6000 copies of the book.
            >
            > The companies don't need to be "convinced" - they need to make enough money to finance the next book in the series. In the case of SP3 , Seven Seas said flat out that the sales for Volume 2 of the LN were so bad that the weren't going to do volume 3.
            >

            > > OR
            > >
            > > If the first is impossible how (like with Yotsuba&!) can we as fans of a series convince a different group to buy the rights to the property when the first groups license runs out?
            >
            > Again - it's not "convincing" that is the issue - it's money.
            >
            > If a company has the money and can make that money back and enough to pay forward for the next volume, they continue to publish a book. If not, the license lapses. Not too many companies can afford to take an unprofitable book on.
            >
            > Your passion is great - but you still only buy one copy.

            > Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated. "
            > http://www.yuricon. org

            > Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don't worry about storage limits.
            > http://windowslive. com/Tutorial/ Hotmail/Storage? ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ HM_Tutorial_ Storage_062009

          • Richard Beaubien
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
              > OR
              >
              > If the first is impossible how (like with Yotsuba&!) can we as fans of a
              > series convince a different group to buy the rights to the property when
              > the first groups license runs out?

              Actually Yotsuba&! sold really well and was one of the few non Viz books to
              hit the top 10 in graphic novel sales. It only stopped coming out due to
              issues at ADV itself, not due to it selling bad.

              As for rescuing poor selling series? Well as Erica said it's a tough road to
              travel given the money involved, licencing rights, and the war for shelf
              space all first run manga fights for. Add in the fact a title wasn't a
              proven seller to begin with and the fight becomes twice as hard.
            • lynmarenjensen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2009
                While it's true that companies aren't in business for their health and need to make money, I think there are factors to consider in reviving a series beyond profitablity.
                If your favorite series has been cut off before conclusion, I suggest writing (the old-fashioned use-a-postage-stamp way) to the company, using a letter in the business format you know from work or your keyboarding class. Politely state your disappointment, and urge reconsideration.
                You may want to ask if there were any advance copies printed (that you'd be willing to take off their hands) or ask if they could post the next vol. on-line (and charge a fee) or that you'd like to see the series be picked up once again when the economy improves. If it's the last vol. of a three-vol. series and they published the first two ("Steady Beat" comes to mind) you might point out that it's only one more vol. and that third vol. may be what grows the audience enough to make the series profitable.
                You might also write (once again, the old-fashioned way) to other publishers you think might be interested and urge them to pick up the series. Sometimes a series is a better fit with a different publisher. Sometimes what it needs is a little more of a different type of promotion or distribustion.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2009
                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: lynmarenjensen@...
                  > Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 17:58:48 +0000
                  > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Is it possible to revive a series?
                  >
                  > While it's true that companies aren't in business for their health and need to make money, I think there are factors to consider in reviving a series beyond profitablity.

                  This is all very good advice and in many cases are applicable - even to anime and manga. The chief factor to consider that makes all this advice worthless in the context of this industry, particularly manag, is company-distributor exclusivity.

                  In almost every case, more so in manga than anime, but still - companies that localize and distribute anime to the west (i.e Funimation, Viz, etc) build relationships with a *particular* publisher/studio. Viz is owned by Shueisha, which almost completely cuts pretty much everyone else off from their vast catalog of properties. If Viz stops a series, or a magazine, there really is no way for *anyone* to pick it up and revive it.

                  ADV just bought a number of CPM licenses in anime and Tokyopop license in manga, and Funi bought some of Geneon's catalog, when it went down. These are relationships in which revival was possible. It's not impossible, but...it's ain't easy. Asking ADV to pick up Shoujo Beat, say - it won't be happening. However, with different forms of distribution making some inroads in the western market, it's not impossible to, say, see Nanoha StrikerS streamed, even if it never sees the light of day on a DVD.

                  Feel free to contact the publisher/distributor - but do your homework. Don't ask them to license impossibly. I can't and don't license mainstream manga - asking me to pick up the 3rd Strawberry Panic LN is not gonna happen. :-)