[OT] Fonts RE: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: adam@...
      > Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:53:46 +0100
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)
      >
      > On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:50:55 -0400, Erica Friedman
      > wrote:

      > Of course, at that point you'd discover the Japanese equivalent of MS
      > Comic Sans and spend the rest of your life unable to look at another
      > manga for fear of your eyeballs bleeding. ;)

      I don't have the hatred other people do for MS Comic Sans. If Apple had created it, people would call it the number one best font EVAR so, whatever. It's a font that is easily available to a lot of people starting out. There's nothing wrong with it *as a font* it just has the misfortune to be 1) by Microsoft and 2) Overused.

    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
        Back in the Sixties I was doing fan comics. Published a few things of my
        own, and some stories in Star Studded Comics. Hand lettering is, indeed,
        brutal.

        Ellen

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
          On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Erica Friedman<alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          > I don't have the hatred other people do for MS Comic Sans. If Apple had created it,
          > people would call it the number one best font EVAR so, whatever. It's a font that is
          > easily available to a lot of people starting out. There's nothing wrong with it *as a font*
          > it just has the misfortune to be 1) by Microsoft and 2) Overused.

          Comic Sans was loosely based on comics lettering (specifically
          WATCHMEN's), but I don't think it was intended to be used for actual
          comics since computer lettering wasn't in vogue at the time.
        • Todd
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
            Welcome! I loved the first episode too. It played fine with subs at home, and also at work on my lunch break (though I had to wait two minutes for it to start for some reason). The story sucked me in right away, even though I found a few parts predictable.

            The character design and watercolor look were nice, and the characters drew me in. I'm looking forward to next week already!

            > Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm 45 and live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Found out about you guys at an old Toronto Trek convention ( I think it was TT18 or somewhere around there).

            OT: I'm just about 40 and live in San Jose, CA, but I'm going to Montreal for the first time August 6-10 for Worldcon (http://www.anticipationsf.ca/). Planning to go?

            Todd
          • KuRo NeKo SaM
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 6, 2009
              hey guyz,
              i just have a problem u know i cant watch crunchy for some reason "rigion policy"!! first veoh now this!!...:( its really depressing!...anyways just wanna say the anime art is amazing. i hope it lived by its story nothing more nor less.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 6, 2009
                There is a list on Crunchyroll of the countries that can view the anime: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-526915/aoi-hana-is-here/

                The rest cannot officially see it, because of national licensing and Internet restrictions.