RE: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2 9:50 AM
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: ellen@...
      > Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:55:04 -0500
      > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)
      >
      > I have other Western-audience problems with manga in general: Japanese
      > text is calligraphic, and used as part of the design and layout of the
      > page. Sometimes this translates into extremely graceless word balloons,
      > with fill-in art by somebody who is definitely NOT the mangaka. It hurts
      > my eyes. Only happens for some artists, some of the time, but it adds
      > that little bit of lowered visual quality. Thus, I often prefer anime -
      > even with subtitles, it's less a captive of the physical form of the
      > text.

      Most of the companies have letterers who try and capture the original feel of the text. I know I do and many others, as well. The word balloons are almost invariably already in the art - the western letterers somehow have to make English words fit in spaces not designed for them. And calligraphic? Not as much as you;d think - most manga use pre-made fonts, just like we do. In fact, if i had another life, I'd love to get more familiar with some of the more common Japanese fonts. I definitely see them repeated enough, expecially in one company's work. I can pick out a few that Ichijinsha uses now. :-)

      I don't know if you've ever tried lettering a manga yourself, but I would gladly trade that job. It's a brutal, time-consuming and eye-destroying job. :-)

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2 9:53 AM
        On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:50:55 -0400, Erica Friedman
        <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        > And calligraphic? Not as much as you;d think -
        > most manga use pre-made fonts, just like we do. In fact, if i had
        > another life, I'd love to get more familiar with some of the more
        > common Japanese fonts. I definitely see them repeated enough,

        Of course, at that point you'd discover the Japanese equivalent of MS
        Comic Sans and spend the rest of your life unable to look at another
        manga for fear of your eyeballs bleeding. ;)
        .oO("shout be shot." )
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2 10:05 AM
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: adam@...
          > Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:53:46 +0100
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)
          >
          > On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:50:55 -0400, Erica Friedman
          > wrote:

          > Of course, at that point you'd discover the Japanese equivalent of MS
          > Comic Sans and spend the rest of your life unable to look at another
          > manga for fear of your eyeballs bleeding. ;)

          I don't have the hatred other people do for MS Comic Sans. If Apple had created it, people would call it the number one best font EVAR so, whatever. It's a font that is easily available to a lot of people starting out. There's nothing wrong with it *as a font* it just has the misfortune to be 1) by Microsoft and 2) Overused.

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2 11:21 AM
            Back in the Sixties I was doing fan comics. Published a few things of my
            own, and some stories in Star Studded Comics. Hand lettering is, indeed,
            brutal.

            Ellen

            I don't know if you've ever tried lettering a manga yourself, but I
            would gladly trade that job. It's a brutal, time-consuming and
            eye-destroying job. :-)

          • Johann Chua
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2 4:00 PM
              On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Erica Friedman<alecto_fury@...> wrote:
              > I don't have the hatred other people do for MS Comic Sans. If Apple had created it,
              > people would call it the number one best font EVAR so, whatever. It's a font that is
              > easily available to a lot of people starting out. There's nothing wrong with it *as a font*
              > it just has the misfortune to be 1) by Microsoft and 2) Overused.

              Comic Sans was loosely based on comics lettering (specifically
              WATCHMEN's), but I don't think it was intended to be used for actual
              comics since computer lettering wasn't in vogue at the time.
            • Todd
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2 10:05 PM
                Welcome! I loved the first episode too. It played fine with subs at home, and also at work on my lunch break (though I had to wait two minutes for it to start for some reason). The story sucked me in right away, even though I found a few parts predictable.

                The character design and watercolor look were nice, and the characters drew me in. I'm looking forward to next week already!

                > Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm 45 and live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Found out about you guys at an old Toronto Trek convention ( I think it was TT18 or somewhere around there).

                OT: I'm just about 40 and live in San Jose, CA, but I'm going to Montreal for the first time August 6-10 for Worldcon (http://www.anticipationsf.ca/). Planning to go?

                Todd
              • KuRo NeKo SaM
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 6 11:53 AM
                  hey guyz,
                  i just have a problem u know i cant watch crunchy for some reason "rigion policy"!! first veoh now this!!...:( its really depressing!...anyways just wanna say the anime art is amazing. i hope it lived by its story nothing more nor less.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 6 12:02 PM
                    There is a list on Crunchyroll of the countries that can view the anime: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-526915/aoi-hana-is-here/

                    The rest cannot officially see it, because of national licensing and Internet restrictions.