Re: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)

  • Joseph Wagner
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
      Oddly, it didn't load the subs the first time for me either.  By accident i needed to reload the page and then they magically appeared.  Did you try reloading the page?  Also, if it's a Flash issue, you could always borrow someone else's computer or watch it at your local library.

      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Adam Jones <adam@...> wrote:

      On 01-Jul-2009 15:27 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:

      > Well, that was excellent.

      Indeed. For some reason the manga has never quite clicked with me -
      perhaps I simply need a chance to read it in a block rather than in
      fragments - so it's really nice to see it animated and get a better
      handle on who's who. I got all teary-eyed at the end...

      Also, is it just me or is the background art very reminiscent of
      Kobayashi Shichiro's work? (IIRC, he did the backgrounds for Simoun,
      Asatte no Houkou, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Windy Tales, which pretty
      much makes him God in my book. :)

      (It would've been even better if Adobe's stupid flash player would
      actually play the darn subtitles on CR. Fail, guys, fail.)
      .oO("automatically WhIpE yo hard drive" )

      "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib
    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
        On 02-Jul-2009 07:59 -0400, Joseph Wagner wrote:
        > Oddly, it didn't load the subs the first time for me either. By accident i
        > needed to reload the page and then they magically appeared. Did you try
        > reloading the page?

        Oh, it's definitely a bug: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1317

        (I'd be quite happy to give CR my money if they and/or Adobe get the
        player fixed...)

        Still, at least the show itself is good. :)
        .oO("You won't regret it!!" )
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: adam@...
          > Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:00:11 +0100
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)
          >
          > On 01-Jul-2009 15:27 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:
          >
          >> Well, that was excellent.
          >
          > Indeed. For some reason the manga has never quite clicked with me -
          > perhaps I simply need a chance to read it in a block rather than in
          > fragments - so it's really nice to see it animated and get a better
          > handle on who's who. I got all teary-eyed at the end...

          I've noticed recently, that the western audience really doesn't "get," if you will, the
          whole manga in serials thing - and also the concept of anthologies. I think because
          the western audience was used to whole volumes translated that there's a gap
          between that and the way things are serialized in Japan.

          I know that I also gain from the collected volumes, but I very much do like reading the individual
          chapters in situ in the magazine. Especially Aoi Hana, since you guys would probably all be appalled
          at its neighbors. The magazine is called "F Erotics" for a reason. :)

          > Also, is it just me or is the background art very reminiscent of
          > Kobayashi Shichiro's work? (IIRC, he did the backgrounds for Simoun,
          > Asatte no Houkou, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Windy Tales, which pretty
          > much makes him God in my book. :)

          Can't say I saw that similarity at all. I'd be interested to know, since I did like the way the background art was handled.

          > (It would've been even better if Adobe's stupid flash player would
          > actually play the darn subtitles on CR. Fail, guys, fail.)

          I can help you with that - there were a number of people who commented on Okazu about this. The subs are softsubs, if you rightclick, you should have an "enable subs" option. If not, maybe another browser might do it. FWIW I saw the subs without problems on Firefox. Thank you kind people at Okazu for helping out with that!

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
            I have other Western-audience problems with manga in general: Japanese
            text is calligraphic, and used as part of the design and layout of the
            page. Sometimes this translates into extremely graceless word balloons,
            with fill-in art by somebody who is definitely NOT the mangaka. It hurts
            my eyes. Only happens for some artists, some of the time, but it adds
            that little bit of lowered visual quality. Thus, I often prefer anime -
            even with subtitles, it's less a captive of the physical form of the
            text.

            Ellen

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
              On 02-Jul-2009 10:42 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:

              > > Also, is it just me or is the background art very reminiscent of
              > > Kobayashi Shichiro's work? (IIRC, he did the backgrounds for Simoun,
              > > Asatte no Houkou, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Windy Tales, which pretty
              > > much makes him God in my book. :)
              > Can't say I saw that similarity at all. I'd be interested to know, since I did like the way the background art was handled.

              It's mostly just that very watercolour-y palette, really. The usual
              reference sources don't mention his name, so it's probably just a
              stylistic thing. (I am terribly simplistic, yes.)

              > > (It would've been even better if Adobe's stupid flash player would
              > > actually play the darn subtitles on CR. Fail, guys, fail.)
              > I can help you with that - there were a number of people who commented on Okazu about this. The subs are softsubs, if you rightclick, you should have an "enable subs" option.

              Yes, I get the menu option, but it doesn't actually do anything (nor
              does it indicate whether it's enabled or disabled), despite being
              selectable.

              If I run Firefox under Wine (a Windows emulator) then I do see
              subtitles, although the video flickers too much to be watchable, so it's
              just my version of Flash (Linux x86-64) which is broken in this regard.

              I've logged a bug at CR anyway, more in hope than expectation.
              .oO("It usually takes more than a blender to destroy the DNS" )
            • sandman guy
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                Hi guys.

                Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm 45 and live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Found out about you guys at an old Toronto Trek convention ( I think it was TT18 or somewhere around there).

                I didn't even know about CrunchyRoll until now and I was surprised that I was able to watch it here in Canada. It usually turns out that when I go to a video site it turns out to be only for US based users.

                But I was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked perfectly with the Subs and everything.

                I must say I loved the first episode.

                There are only three other anime that I ever loved completely from just the first episode. They were:

                Sailor Moon
                Utena
                and Maria Sama Ga Miteru.

                Now I can add Aoi Hana to that list.

                I'm glad I'm able to watch CrunchyRoll from Canada. It is very frustrating when I want to watch something legitimately and they tell me I can't because I'm in the wrong contry.

                And Aoi Hana's opening and closing credits are now my favourite OP and ED. They were beautifully drawn and I liked the music as well.

                Ta Ta for now.

                Sandman7.

                All new Yahoo! Mail - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, sandman guy <sandman7ca2002@...> wrote:

                  > Hi guys.

                  Welcome!

                  (And to everyone else who is new and/or delurking recently)

                  > There are only three other anime that I ever loved completely from just the first episode. They were:
                  >
                  > Sailor Moon
                  > Utena
                  > and Maria Sama Ga Miteru.
                  >
                  > Now I can add Aoi Hana to that list.

                  One of the questions I get *a lot* is "what series is the poster child for Yuri, in the same way Gravitation is for Yaoi?"

                  With Sailor Moon, you had to get pas the Mosnters of the Day and the repeated footage, with Utena, you had to pay attention, with Marimite, you had to watch through 9 episodes to get to what is absolutely a tragic lesbian arc.

                  Finally, Yuri has that series. The one we can just point to and say, Yuri, here, shut up,kay? :-)

                  Aoi Hana reflects most of the basic qualities of a "Yuri" story - private girl's schools, sempai/kouhai relationships, but it also has a surprisingly fabulous lead whose honesty with herself and the people around her is wonderfully refreshing.

                  So, now, we finally have *that* series.

                  Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                  http://okazu.blogspot.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                    > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: ellen@...
                    > Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:55:04 -0500
                    > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)
                    >
                    > I have other Western-audience problems with manga in general: Japanese
                    > text is calligraphic, and used as part of the design and layout of the
                    > page. Sometimes this translates into extremely graceless word balloons,
                    > with fill-in art by somebody who is definitely NOT the mangaka. It hurts
                    > my eyes. Only happens for some artists, some of the time, but it adds
                    > that little bit of lowered visual quality. Thus, I often prefer anime -
                    > even with subtitles, it's less a captive of the physical form of the
                    > text.

                    Most of the companies have letterers who try and capture the original feel of the text. I know I do and many others, as well. The word balloons are almost invariably already in the art - the western letterers somehow have to make English words fit in spaces not designed for them. And calligraphic? Not as much as you;d think - most manga use pre-made fonts, just like we do. In fact, if i had another life, I'd love to get more familiar with some of the more common Japanese fonts. I definitely see them repeated enough, expecially in one company's work. I can pick out a few that Ichijinsha uses now. :-)

                    I don't know if you've ever tried lettering a manga yourself, but I would gladly trade that job. It's a brutal, time-consuming and eye-destroying job. :-)

                  • Adam Jones
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                      On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:50:55 -0400, Erica Friedman
                      <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                      > And calligraphic? Not as much as you;d think -
                      > most manga use pre-made fonts, just like we do. In fact, if i had
                      > another life, I'd love to get more familiar with some of the more
                      > common Japanese fonts. I definitely see them repeated enough,

                      Of course, at that point you'd discover the Japanese equivalent of MS
                      Comic Sans and spend the rest of your life unable to look at another
                      manga for fear of your eyeballs bleeding. ;)
                      .oO("shout be shot." )
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: adam@...
                        > Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:53:46 +0100
                        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Aoi Hana, Ep. 1 (No spoilers)
                        >
                        > On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:50:55 -0400, Erica Friedman
                        > wrote:

                        > Of course, at that point you'd discover the Japanese equivalent of MS
                        > Comic Sans and spend the rest of your life unable to look at another
                        > manga for fear of your eyeballs bleeding. ;)

                        I don't have the hatred other people do for MS Comic Sans. If Apple had created it, people would call it the number one best font EVAR so, whatever. It's a font that is easily available to a lot of people starting out. There's nothing wrong with it *as a font* it just has the misfortune to be 1) by Microsoft and 2) Overused.

                      • Ellen Kuhfeld
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                          Back in the Sixties I was doing fan comics. Published a few things of my
                          own, and some stories in Star Studded Comics. Hand lettering is, indeed,
                          brutal.

                          Ellen

                          I don't know if you've ever tried lettering a manga yourself, but I
                          would gladly trade that job. It's a brutal, time-consuming and
                          eye-destroying job. :-)

                        • Johann Chua
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                            On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Erica Friedman<alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                            > I don't have the hatred other people do for MS Comic Sans. If Apple had created it,
                            > people would call it the number one best font EVAR so, whatever. It's a font that is
                            > easily available to a lot of people starting out. There's nothing wrong with it *as a font*
                            > it just has the misfortune to be 1) by Microsoft and 2) Overused.

                            Comic Sans was loosely based on comics lettering (specifically
                            WATCHMEN's), but I don't think it was intended to be used for actual
                            comics since computer lettering wasn't in vogue at the time.
                          • Todd
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2, 2009
                              Welcome! I loved the first episode too. It played fine with subs at home, and also at work on my lunch break (though I had to wait two minutes for it to start for some reason). The story sucked me in right away, even though I found a few parts predictable.

                              The character design and watercolor look were nice, and the characters drew me in. I'm looking forward to next week already!

                              > Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm 45 and live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Found out about you guys at an old Toronto Trek convention ( I think it was TT18 or somewhere around there).

                              OT: I'm just about 40 and live in San Jose, CA, but I'm going to Montreal for the first time August 6-10 for Worldcon (http://www.anticipationsf.ca/). Planning to go?

                              Todd
                            • KuRo NeKo SaM
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 6, 2009
                                hey guyz,
                                i just have a problem u know i cant watch crunchy for some reason "rigion policy"!! first veoh now this!!...:( its really depressing!...anyways just wanna say the anime art is amazing. i hope it lived by its story nothing more nor less.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 6, 2009
                                  There is a list on Crunchyroll of the countries that can view the anime: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-526915/aoi-hana-is-here/

                                  The rest cannot officially see it, because of national licensing and Internet restrictions.