Re: Ota Meetup

  • lynmarenjensen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
      I've yet to master the formula for putting on any kind of event at either Anime Expo or Comic Con, which are both huge Woodstock-like events. You may want to check my MySpace blogs about past such experiences. I e-mail and ask to be part of panels, and ask people if I may be part of panels--I get no response and/or a cold shoulder. I attempt meet-ups and nobody shows. I did get my own workshop at Yaoi Jam last year but that was yaoi, not yuri, and the Jam's not happening this year. If you have any concrete suggestions for getting past such obstacles, I'd be pleased to hear them.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
        There's no golden ticket, I'm afraid. You just have to find the right ears and talk to them at the right time.

        Almost all the big events have an overload of panelists applying, and they all have forms you fill out, you don't just email generally. Then you gotta hope, pray and keep sending the ocassional follow-up email.

        Cons run on volunteer labor. And meet-ups have to have a little bit of luck and timing.

        There's no tried and true method. If you're going to be at a west coast even this year, you can try setting something up through the group. Keep your expectations reasonable and do your best - that's all the advice I have to offer. :-)

        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: lynmarenjensen@...
        > Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:36:05 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Ota Meetup
        >
        > I've yet to master the formula for putting on any kind of event at either Anime Expo or Comic Con, which are both huge Woodstock-like events. You may want to check my MySpace blogs about past such experiences. I e-mail and ask to be part of panels, and ask people if I may be part of panels--I get no response and/or a cold shoulder. I attempt meet-ups and nobody shows. I did get my own workshop at Yaoi Jam last year but that was yaoi, not yuri, and the Jam's not happening this year. If you have any concrete suggestions for getting past such obstacles, I'd be pleased to hear them.

        Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailĀ®. See how.