RE: [Yuricon] Re: Simoun grumble resolved - some spoilers

    Message 1 of 16 , May 14, 2009
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: thirohk@...
      > Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:13:18 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Simoun grumble resolved - some spoilers
      >
      > Let's see if this works ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >

      >> Unfortunately, the Y!groups search engine is only finding ancient posts today and I am far too lazy to bother looking for it manually. :-)
      >
      > Well, I'm experimenting away at the moment.

      In short - physical space for folks reading the list on their email and a sentence or two for yahoogroups' propensity to summarize only new text, for folks getting the ML on the web.

      >> This was not a real war, it's true. It was a toy way, like the Gundam wars. fought way above the heads of the people and their losses are peripheral to the story.
      >
      > I don't know Gundam, so I'll have to take your word on that.

      You don't need to, really. Any show with mecha tends to be about the pilots of the mecha and in most of these shows, they fight on space, or stories above any humans. Buildings crushed beneath their feet - there are few shows (although they do exist) that deal with the people in those buildings.

      I think it was Sally in gundam Wing who lambasted the elite fighters for fighting so far about the eads of the people that they had no idea of the damage they caused.

      >> No explanation of why they need (or whether they need) chemicals is made. I think we are not meant to see them as "decent" at all, but as filthy, technology based enemies and no more. when the gas mask is removed, we learn that their lives are horrid and miserable. We don't know if they even know about the spring. all we know is that they see the Simoun as the key to something better.
      >
      > That's certainly a point of view, but I see it the opposite way, that Argentium's technology is so toxic because they've had to develop it all on their own and didn't just get it handed to them. Anyway, a sign of something good is that you can view it many ways.

      I don't disagree - but that's *exactly* the point. The theocracy sees this as "proof" of their superiority. God's favor and all.

      >> My favorite character was Yun. Her choice, of all of their's interested me most.
      >
      > Have to ask this then: Do you agree that Yun is "Kyon, the Simoun version"? :-)

      Honestly, I don't see any point of comparison between Kyon and yun. She's more a Haruhi by choice, if you must force an analogy at all. But it seems a really weird analogy to me.