A Eulogy for CPM

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2009
      Ironic and sad news, considering the renewal of interest in Utena now that it is celebrating 10 years.

      Central Park Media has declared bankruptcy. They were the licensors of Utena and the very first industry company to recognize and support Yuricon back in the days of "ewww...Yuri."

      There has been some surprisingly strong negativity about them and some self-righteous bullshit going around about their demise, sadly from people who should know better - people who run conventions around the country, who were glad to suck on the cPM teat when it was healthy and are now full of loathing and dersision for it now that it has failed.

      In response, I wrote a Eulogy for CPM which has been published on Anime Vice: http://bit.ly/1a3CxP

      If you remember CPM with fondness, please, I beg you, put in a kind comment for them because I'm absolutely steaming with the lack of consideration shown to CPM by people who let it support them in their early days.

      Thank you.

      Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry
      http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mobile2_042009
    • shenotski
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2009
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkHe-auigbA
        CPM was here... CPM is GONE.

      • katwilliams@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2009

          > Ironic and sad news, considering the renewal of interest in Utena now that it is celebrating 10 years.
          >
          > Central Park Media has declared bankruptcy. They were the licensors of Utena and the very first industry company to recognize and support Yuricon back in the days of "ewww...Yuri."
          >
          > There has been some surprisingly strong negativity about them and some self-righteous bullshit going around about their demise, sadly from people who should know better - people who run conventions around the country, who were glad to suck on the cPM teat when it was healthy and are now full of loathing and dersision for it now that it has failed.
          >
          > In response, I wrote a Eulogy for CPM which has been published on Anime Vice: http://bit.ly/1a3CxP
          >
          > If you remember CPM with fondness, please, I beg you, put in a kind comment for them because I'm absolutely steaming with the lack of consideration shown to CPM by people who let it support them in their early days.
          >
          > Thank you.

          Geez, I was just thinking about John O'Donnell and Tomoko Taniguchi while sifting through my old address book. I used to buy so many CPM books, they were a great group. I still have my old Grave of the Fireflies VHS from them. Things are changing so much in the years. It is hard to believe. It is a sad day indeed.

          Kat
        • yelaiel_3
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2009
            after reading all your conversation i realized that im just a toddler in yuri world. sometimes when you abbreviate the title i find it difficult to understand or search. and most of the site i know they hardly yuri series in it. even manga its as if they are banned. its so frustrating. but im really thankful that you made this site.^-^
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2009
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yelaiel_3" <yelaiel_3@...> wrote:

              > after reading all your conversation i realized that im just a toddler in yuri world. sometimes when you abbreviate the title i find it difficult to understand or search. and most of the site i know they hardly yuri series in it. even manga its as if they are banned. its so frustrating. but im really thankful that you made this site.^-^

              Welcome to the Yuricon Mailing List!

              Thank you for pointing out what we sometimes forget in any fandom - that every jargon, shorthand and acronym becomes a barrier to understanding.

              Here's a suggestion to everyone - when we start a post, even a reply, begin by mentioning the series by its full name. If there is an alternate Japanese/English name, it might be helpful to take a sec and point out which version we are referring to. We can then mention what we'll be calling it as an abbreviation and use that going forward.

              For instance, we were recently discussing Revolutionary Girl Utena, known as Shoujo Kakumei Utena in Japan. For short, many of us refer to it as, simply, Utena.

              or

              Maria-sama ga Miteru, released in English as Maria Watches Over Us, but is often referred to as MariMite or sometimes MsgM.

              If we can all remember to do that, then newer folks here won't feel as off-put by our crazy fan-fueled rants. I hope!

              Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated"
              http://www.yuricon.org
            • katwilliams@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2009
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yelaiel_3" <yelaiel_3@...> wrote:

                > after reading all your conversation i realized that im just a toddler in yuri world. sometimes when you abbreviate the title i find it difficult to understand or search. and most of the site i know they hardly yuri series in it. even manga its as if they are banned. its so frustrating. but im really thankful that you made this site.^-^

                Don't feel bad, I've been around the community for years and I can't follow half of what is said half the time. LOL If someone mentions something you are interested in you could always ask, I'm sure someone would be willing to clarify. I know I would.

                Kat