Saki, the anime

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9 4:28 PM
      I have *sbolutely* no idea what "Saki" is about. But if the Yuri lists in Japan don't stop screaming about it, I'm going to start screaming. lol

      It looks just like every other anime in the world to me, but I'm assured that the anime is "Yuri-er" than the manga. I suppse that is good.

      Anyone know this series?

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • iatheia
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9 4:49 PM
        I watched the first episode. Meh. It wasn't too bad. Reminds me a lot about Bamboo Blade, only about Majhong (I think this is how it is spelled). So, pretty much you have to know the rules for the game, otherwise it is hard to follow, but they do have nice graphics.

        It is about a girl who always can get zero as her final score, and apparently it is very hard. And the other girl who is really good at this game is jelaous because she can't do it, and they had a pretty touchy scene under the rain. Yuri-wise it is pretty average, but we take all we can.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9 7:14 PM
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: iatheia@...
          > Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:49:33 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Saki, the anime

          So, I watched the first episode.

          > I watched the first episode. Meh. It wasn't too bad. Reminds me a lot about Bamboo Blade, only about Majhong (I think this is how it is spelled). So, pretty much you have to know the rules for the game, otherwise it is hard to follow, but they do have nice graphics.

          Or you just have to take it as it comes. My mom plays mahjong, but I haven't the least clue how it's played. You don't really *nned* to know, it's just that the zOMG moments make sense. I just go - okay, that was really great. Same as watching Hikaru no Go.

          > It is about a girl who always can get zero as her final score, and apparently it is very hard. And the other girl who is really good at this game is jelaous because she can't do it, and they had a pretty touchy scene under the rain. Yuri-wise it is pretty average, but we take all we can.

          I can totally see that Nodoka and Saki are paired up. Saki noticed Nodoka originally and noticed her sexy legs and chest and that's such a male gaze that it's natural to assume.

          > It looks just like every other anime in the world to me, but I'm assured that the anime is "Yuri-er" than the manga. I suppse that is good.

          I agree - it looks like every other anime ever. But it was entertaining, which is why I watch anime after all. Better than Queen's Blade, that's for sure!

        • iatheia
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9 7:36 PM
            > Or you just have to take it as it comes. My mom plays mahjong, but I haven't the least clue how it's played. You don't really *nned* to know, it's just that the zOMG moments make sense. I just go - okay, that was really great. Same as watching Hikaru no Go.

            True. But just by the looks of it there would be penty of those zOMG momets. So knowing what's going on helps just a bit to appreciate it more. Although it isn't a requirement by a long shot.

            > I can totally see that Nodoka and Saki are paired up. Saki noticed Nodoka originally and noticed her sexy legs and chest and that's such a male gaze that it's natural to assume.

            The president also has a lot of potential =)

            > I agree - it looks like every other anime ever. But it was entertaining, which is why I watch anime after all. Better than Queen's Blade, that's for sure!

            *gasp* What are you talking about, Queen's Blade was brilliant! Just kidding. But after watching the first episode five times, one slowly begins to see the potential in it, as well as the deep symbolism and hidden meaning. Very carefully hidden meaning. And the second episode is out already, and it doesn't have nearly as much fanservice as the first episode.
          • sarcastic_weasel
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9 11:06 PM
              > So, I watched the first episode.

              As did I. I saw someone comment on it somewhere as "moeblobs play mahjong." I won't go *that* far, but it does have that factor. It's entertaining, which is saying a lot for this season.

              I've seen whole manga magazines dedicated *just* to mahjong manga, so I'm not surprised to see a mahjong anime.

              > > I watched the first episode. Meh. It wasn't too bad. Reminds me a lot about Bamboo Blade, only about Majhong (I think this is how it is spelled). So, pretty much you have to know the rules for the game, otherwise it is hard to follow, but they do have nice graphics.
              >
              > Or you just have to take it as it comes. My mom plays mahjong, but I haven't the least clue how it's played. You don't really *nned* to know, it's just that the zOMG moments make sense. I just go - okay, that was really great. Same as watching Hikaru no Go.

              There are 30 different rule sets all over the world you can play mahjong under. It helps a bit if you understand what they're doing, IMO, but it's not critical. Just trying to understand how furiten works gives me a headache.

              Or you can just enjoy the pretty pictures and Ueda Kana's soothing voice. (The only problem is that when I hear Ueda Kana's voice, I hear Yumi, and then I wonder why she's playing mahjong all of a sudden...)

              > I agree - it looks like every other anime ever. But it was entertaining, which is why I watch anime after all. Better than Queen's Blade, that's for sure!

              Aww, don't set the bar *too* low.

              My only fear is that this IS Gonzo we're talking about. Knowing them, she could wind up fighting robots, or zeppelins. Or robot-zeppelins. I think Gonzo is Japanese for Random.

              Well, I'll watch it as long as it's fun. So far, it's fun.
            • Zyl Zaku
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9 11:07 PM
                On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: iatheia@...
                > > Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:49:33 +0000
                > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Saki, the anime
                >

                > > It is about a girl who always can get zero as her final score, and apparently it is very hard. And the other girl who is really good at this game is jelaous because she can't do it, and they had a pretty touchy scene under the rain. Yuri-wise it is pretty average, but we take all we can.
                >
                > I can totally see that Nodoka and Saki are paired up. Saki noticed Nodoka originally and noticed her sexy legs and chest and that's such a male gaze that it's natural to assume.

                And there I was assuming that Saki's gaze was just catering to what male viewers would look out for. ;-)

                I suppose girls check out other girls too but in a more holistic way. How would that be different from a 'yuri gaze'?

                Actually the first thing I noticed when Saki uttered her first line: 'What a beautiful girl...' was: 'OMG It's Kana Ueda!'
              • DJ 'Bug' W.
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10 11:52 AM

                  > Or you can just enjoy the pretty pictures and Ueda Kana's soothing voice. (The only problem is that when I hear Ueda Kana's voice, I hear Yumi, and then I wonder why she's playing mahjong all of a sudden...)

                  Hmm isn't there an ep of Maria-sama ni wa naisho (the 3rd season i believe) where Sachiko makes mention of her story idea being rejected, one that involved Yumi playing mahjong? hmmmm...makes ya wonder doesn't it? ^_^;;;
                • dallas broders
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10 10:25 PM
                    You are right there is a mention at one of the episodes previews of an episode dedicated to mahjong and sachiko says she would watch it.

                    I really do enjoy Saki i was suprised how much i liked it definetly going to watch it to the end.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11 4:58 PM
                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: zylzaku@...
                      > Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:07:46 +0800
                      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Saki, the anime
                      >

                      >> I can totally see that Nodoka and Saki are paired up. Saki noticed Nodoka originally and noticed her sexy legs and chest and that's such a male gaze that it's natural to assume.
                      >
                      > And there I was assuming that Saki's gaze was just catering to what male viewers would look out for. ;-)

                      Yes, that's what I meant. I imagine other women do check women out like that, but it is a common male perspective.

                      > I suppose girls check out other girls too but in a more holistic way. How would that be different from a 'yuri gaze'?

                      I don't know, really. I don't look at people's bodies much at all. I tend to notice their wit first. Sexy intelligent humor kills me every time. :-)

                      > Actually the first thing I noticed when Saki uttered her first line: 'What a beautiful girl...' was: 'OMG It's Kana Ueda!'

                      Me too. :-)

                      Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you.