Re: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?

  • Jamie Wells
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
      There's another reason people in real life are loners. What about the office (or school, for that matter) where no one else is likable or fun-loving? If your choice is to be with unlikable losers or be alone, what's wrong with being a loner?

      I don't even think its necessarily that.  If you're born and raised in the United States, there's a good chance you were raised to think, act, and be independent.  Relying on others and living in large groups of people just isn't the American way (I'm being over-generalizing to make a point).

      Many people in the United States could easily be called loners, even though its just a way of life.

      And as was said in the first reply to this:

      Much of how a person interprets a series is often based on their own personal identity and background.  We like to be able to identify with characters because it helps us relate to the story.  If you can't relate, you probably won't like it.

      But, one person's junk, is another person's treasure.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
        Jen,

        I think you hit the nail on the head, at least for some of the yuri out there. There are also a lot of sempais cruising for impressionable, younger students, which is a completely different dynamic.

        I'm a big fan of Morinaga Milk's "Girl Friends," in which a bookish, serious girl is befriended by the outgoing, stylish girl who (spoiler alert - ch. 20) it is revealed, has admired her for some time.

        Drat, and I thought it was soooo original.

        Actually, Morinaga breaks from aspects of your analysis, but I think those are exceptions that prove the rule.

        Not having read earlier responses, I'm probably sticking my foot in my mouth, but thanks for the really interesting post.

        -Steve

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: on_message@...
          > Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:06:32 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?

          Steve (an any other new folks) -

          It is not usually appreciated when people post spoilers. That *spoils* the story for them, hence the name.

          Saying that you're posting a spoiler, then jumping right into it does not give people a chance to *not* see the spoiler if they want.

          This is why "Spoiler Space" exists.

          Most people use actually blank lines, like this:

          In addition, Yahoogroups only recognizes new text in an email, so blank lines do not show up.

          You can use many lines with little text:

          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .

          Like that, only many more. Or, as I do, you can use a number of blank lines, punctuated by words to fll up space for Y!groups like this:

          This

          Is

          Spoiler

          Space

          Keep

          Unwanted

          Eyes

          Away

          ****

          In any case, please do not post spoilers without spoiler space, because you will make people unhappy. It's bad list etiquette. Thanks.

        • Jen
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009

            > What I'm seeing... is simply that a lot of fans made their decisions about who everyone was in the first few episodes

            I think that might be another reason why people tend to wait for a series to finish until going out and start buying it (lamented in a not so long ago Okazu entry). They like that not-exactly-spoiler reassurance that what they see in the first season/two seasons are not who the characters are and how they remain ("like these people or don't; your choice"), and that yes, they do change and grow. Otherwise, the viewer goes ahead and spends money/time on a series, swallow any dislikes and tells themselves the characters will change and grow *eventually*, and they just need to have faith and keep handing over the cash and buy more: thou shall be rewarded. Trust.

            ... only to see that no, not enough people watched the series to merit further local releases (or in western TV's case, not enough ratings and the series is cancelled), and all that time and money spent on this series and these characters and all your faith that character development happens and things get better was all for nothing. Cosnumers of fictional stories may for the most part hate spoilers, but reviewers who know the story from it's start to conclusion often do a good job of summarising it for potential new customers/viewers. Yes, these people start out like this, but we see them change, etc. Just another benefit of waiting for a series' completion before starting to watch it yourself.

            I know that's what you wrote, but that's not how I read it:

            > Sei seems playful and goofy, but she's really deeply sensitive, with a striking back... story.

            That's how I read it. I warped it to suit my amusement. I'd like to thank all parties concerned for their involvement. ^__^
          • Steve Shea
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 4, 2009
              Ah, sorry. I've gotten spoiled by spoiler tags that do the thoughtful thing for me.

              Always fun reading the discussions in this group - thanks to all for posting.
            • Rose Tulip
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2009
                "There's something in this world that no one has seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That's why no one has ever seen it. The world hid it so that no one could get their hands on it easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it."
                    --CoalGuys transl. of Toradora

                A friend of mine recommended this anime to me, and after some thorough pestering, I sat down to watch. In this love comedy, two unlikely friends begin their quest to help one another find romance. If you've started the series, you'll wonder why I'm here talking about it.

                Well, let me just say, WAIT UNTIL EPISODE 13!!! HOHOHOHOHOHOhohohohoho... ^___^ With that, you should be able to pick up all the easter eggs I missed before my Yuri goggles exploded in that episode. Haha. My friend knew I wasn't expecting it at all, and he laughed at my expression.

                In addition, the president of the school was pretty likable to me in another Yuri kind of sense. lol.

                Besides the Yuri, the rest of the cast is enjoyable. The characters are dynamic, and  before you know it, you'll find yourselves empathetic towards them. Plus, you'll be surprised with what the producers throw at you next. (I advise viewers not to be fooled by appearances.) The girl who is outed in episode 13 touched a chord in me during the climax of the series, and I feel like it's something we can all relate to. So, I want to recommend and share this series with everyone. In a way, it made me feel young again.

                Also, if you do watch it, I wonder who you'll be shipping at the end, if you know what I mean... lol

              • josephglanvill
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 9, 2009
                  I think you summarized it perfectly. The reason I could never get into the series is that it's Yuri soap; the characters, with the single, glorious exception of Sei, are all lost in navel gazing. The Shinji syndrome as it's known.

                  To phrase it another way, it's like a Yuri "Meine Liebe", except that it tries to take itself seriously. It lacks that wonderful, glorious shamelessness that makes things like Meine Liebe, Kannazuki no Miko etc. so watchable.

                  Everyone seems in serious need of life-saving cynicism.

                  I'd really like to see one episode where, a la Dylan Moran, Yumi comes late to a meeting and says "I knew you were here. Would you like to know where I was? I was at home. I had a bun. And it was delicious because I knew you were here waiting. I've never really liked you, but we have to get through this meeting, so could I get a drink so I don't need to look at you too much?"

                  Such an episode would be worth its weight in gold. Even just as omake.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 9, 2009
                     > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: thirohk@...
                    > Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:22:50 +0000
                    > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?
                    >

                    > I think you summarized it perfectly. The reason I could never get into the series is that it's Yuri soap; the characters, with the single, glorious exception of Sei, are all lost in navel gazing. The Shinji syndrome as it's known.
                    >
                    > To phrase it another way, it's like a Yuri "Meine Liebe", except that it tries to take itself seriously.

                    Obviously, opinions are personal and can't be changed by other people influicting their on you, but I'll disgaree with this. Marimite is, IMHO, completely free of taking itself seriously. The woman who created it has created characters who laugh as much as they cry, smile with joy more than through the pain and in general, are the kinds of people I'd like to have over for lunch.

                    It is not Over The Top, as KnM and Strawberry Panic are. And it is not not "hit you over the head with the Yuri stick"as those series are. Perhaps that is why you see it as too serious.

                    However, as I said, ur opinions do not change (and should not) because other people feel differently. I prefer the realistic personal development of Yumi to Nagisa's non-deveopment and fake kisses with Shizuma. But that's me and clearly, your milage varied. :-)

                    > I'd really like to see one episode where, a la Dylan Moran, Yumi comes late to a meeting and says "I knew you were here. Would you like to know where I was? I was at home. I had a bun. And it was delicious because I knew you were here waiting. I've never really liked you, but we have to get through this meeting, so could I get a drink so I don't need to look at you too much?"

                    Obviously you are more comfortable with broader comedy, as they say. :-)

                    Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu:
                    http://okazu.blogspot.com

                  • BlackSkaven
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 10, 2009
                      Erica Friedman wrote:

                      > Obviously, opinions are personal and can't be changed by other people
                      > influicting their on you, but I'll disgaree with this. Marimite is,
                      > IMHO, completely free of taking itself seriously.

                      > The woman who created
                      > it has created characters who laugh as much as they cry, smile with joy
                      > more than through the pain and in general, are the kinds of people I'd
                      > like to have over for lunch.

                      Well - doesn't this mean taking itself seriously? I can't recall that
                      the souer system was being questioned or ridiculed ever for example.
                      Isn't the introduction to the school serious as well (proper wardrobe
                      etc.). At least I don't think they wanted to make people laugh or shake
                      their heads like certainly quite a few in the West did who didn't have
                      to wear school uniforms. When hearing the intro from the first season I
                      always asked myself - is this really no parody? To me the souer system
                      feels dead serious. So what is taking itself seriously to you?

                      BlackSkaven
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 10, 2009
                        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: BlackSkaven@...
                        > Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 02:27:11 +0200
                        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?
                        >
                        > Erica Friedman wrote:

                        > Well - doesn't this mean taking itself seriously?

                        Well, no. Setting a story in a setting that is based on reality isn't particularly serious.

                        I didn't wear a uniform in school, but I know that many do in the west and a lot of kids in Asia do. My school didn't follow a sempai-kouhai systen (which is all the souer system is, really) but it is extremely common as a part of Japanese culture. I don't see where any of that is either parody or taking anything seriously. These thing, such as old-fashioned private schools do exist. Even in the west. I lived near a very old Catholic school for many years and the girls were subject to strict uniform and behavior rules. Stricter than Lillian's.

                        I write a story of a pop idol. It's is loosely based in reality and is set in a whimsically real world. I don't think anything about Snb or SnR takes itself too seriously, either. :-)

                        Too seriously in my HO, is something like Gundam Wing, where affected drama and teenage angst are shoved under the cover of a geo-political war with a lot of musing about the meaning of life.

                        Also, I find that fewer series take themselves seriously than fans take them seriously.

                        I can't personally see that characters who laugh and cry and don't have crazy mecha popping out to combat inconsistent gods is "too serious" but obviiously, as i said, you prefer your series less subtle and more slapstick than I. :-)

                      • josephglanvill
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 11, 2009
                          Erica, if I may be so bold, I think you mistake me. I didn't say "serious"; I said it "took itself seriously". Ponderously, plonkingly seriously. To make it plain, it is more serious than warrented. I think the technical term is "bathos".

                          I watch and read a great deal of serious stuff. The contrast leaping to mind would be "Now and Then, Here and There". It is very serious, but it is not bathetic, to coin a term. It's emphasis is justified by the subject matter.

                          Or, to scale things down a little, consider Haibane Renmei. There's a really powerful performance, and it is dealt with well. Or even Azumanga Daioh.

                          What rankles with me about Maramite is the drama invested in trivialities. I just find that kind of high-school stuff insufferable. It's trivial and pointless, and the characters look like saps for taking it seriously. And it's not subtlety, either.

                          Conversely, what I like about Sei is that she seems to have gotten the joke. Similarly, what makes Meine Liebe etc. so watchable is that there is no chance of anyone taking it seriously. Toungue firmly in cheek.

                          > Obviously you are more comfortable with broader comedy, as they say. :-)

                          :) Could be. Still, Dylan Moran enlivens most things "...I would find myself going into cafes, looking for the lillian student to smoke on..."
                        • Jamie Wells
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 11, 2009
                            >What rankles with me about Maramite is the drama invested in
                            trivialities. I just find that kind of high-school stuff insufferable. It's trivial and pointless, and the characters look like saps for taking it seriously. And it's not subtlety, either.

                            If you find it insufferable there is a simple solution: don't watch it.
                            And if you think it's trivial and pointless try to remember what you considered important as a teenager versus what you consider to be important now.  If you are a teenager and you don't consider that stuff important, well bully to you then.

                            The point is, Marimite isn't made for people who find it trivial and insufferable.
                            The characters don't look like saps because in their world, it is a serious thing.  Consider, for a moment (if you're able), if you were put into a religious school with a very serious implied structure between the grades.  And you didn't really have to worry about anything else aside from school and graduating and making your family happy---

                            Now what would you consider important?

                            I apologize if I come off as rough, but I don't think it's very fair to attack the character's responses if you can't consider the setting in which they've been placed.

                            Erica, if I may be so bold, I think you mistake me. I didn't say "serious"; I said it "took itself seriously". Ponderously, plonkingly seriously. To make it plain, it is more serious than warrented. I think the technical term is "bathos".

                            I watch and read a great deal of serious stuff. The contrast leaping to mind would be "Now and Then, Here and There". It is very serious, but it is not bathetic, to coin a term. It's emphasis is justified by the subject matter.

                            Or, to scale things down a little, consider Haibane Renmei. There's a really powerful performance, and it is dealt with well. Or even Azumanga Daioh.

                            What rankles with me about Maramite is the drama invested in trivialities. I just find that kind of high-school stuff insufferable. It's trivial and pointless, and the characters look like saps for taking it seriously. And it's not subtlety, either.

                            Conversely, what I like about Sei is that she seems to have gotten the joke. Similarly, what makes Meine Liebe etc. so watchable is that there is no chance of anyone taking it seriously. Toungue firmly in cheek.

                            > Obviously you are more comfortable with broader comedy, as they say. :-)

                            :) Could be. Still, Dylan Moran enlivens most things "...I would find myself going into cafes, looking for the lillian student to smoke on..."

                          • Allison Passino
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 11, 2009
                              Exactly. Very well put.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 11, 2009
                                Erica Friedman wrote:

                                >> Well - doesn't this mean taking itself seriously?
                                >
                                > Well, no. Setting a story in a setting that is based on reality isn't particularly serious.

                                Well - like the original poster I mean 'taking itself seriously' - not
                                serious.

                                IMO the souer system goes a step further - it takes the relationship
                                between Sempai and Kouhai to a personal level.

                                > Too seriously in my HO, is something like Gundam Wing, where affected drama and teenage angst

                                Isn't there teenage angst in Marimite as well?

                                Well - For me mechas, sailor suits and bunny ears are rather a reason
                                not to watch something.

                                > Also, I find that fewer series take themselves seriously than fans take them seriously.

                                > you prefer your series less subtle and more slapstick than I. :-)

                                Getting serious?

                                Cheers,

                                BlackSkaven