Conbust Yuri Panel Report

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2009
      Hi everyone! ^^

      I just held a yuri panel at Conbust yesterday, and thought I'd write about it here in case anybody's interested. The panel was yesterday at 9:00 p.m. at Smith College's Conbust, which is a 3 day general sci-fi/fantasy/anime/gaming con.

      Even though Conbust takes place at a women's college and focuses more on women in the sci-fi/fantasy/anime/gaming industries than most cons, I was still pretty surprised that, aside from one rather loquacious guy who left halfway through the panel (he only really irritated me when he spoke during my Devil Lady clip...don't do that at panels, people ^^;; ), all of the people there were women. One attendee was even taking notes throughout the panel, although I noticed a few others writing when they saw something that particularly interested them. ("What's that series called again?" "Kannazuki no Miko." *scribbles*)

      I started out by explaining "What is Yuri?" along with the basic history and influences, like Nobuko Yoshiya, Takarazuka, Riyoko Ikeda, Go Nagai, Yuri Shimai, Yuri Hime, etc.

      Then I presented, in chronological order, slides of yuri anime series worth checking out, with accompanying clips. The series I presented were: Oniisama E, Sailor Moon, The Devil Lady, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Azumanga Daioh, Maria Watches Over Us (I used the U.S. release title on the slide), Kannazuki no Miko, My-Hime (and even though My-Otome didn't get a slide, I showed a clip of it also), Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Blue Drop, and Mouryou no Hako (although I wasn't able to show a clip from Mouryou no Hako). Finally, I gave the upcoming Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto anime series slides of their own to shamelessly promote them to my impressionable audience. ^^

      Then I presented my top yuri manga must-reads: Strawberry Shake Sweet, Hayate x Blade, Sasameki Koto, Girl Friends, The Conditions for Paradise (I actually like Hanjuku Joshislightly more, but I decided to use this title instead to weed out any potential panel-goers who primarily watch and read yuri for service instead of stories and characters), Aoi Hana, Octave, Heart-Pounding Excitement At Mononoke Girls' Academy (this isn't really one of my top favorites, but it's still good, and I wanted to include something really weird and different), and Free Soul.

      Finally, for fun, the panel ended with a very brief section titled, "Yuri To Show To People Who You Despise." :) The two titles that earned the distinction of being placed in this section were Fight! Iczer One and Project ICE. I didn't show any clips of them, but told the panel-goers to feel free to seek these titles out at their discretion. Then I answered any extra questions the panel-goers had, and that was it. ^^
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine" <smithie_28@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone! ^^

        Katherine, thank you for this report. It sounds like a great panel. I was told by someone who attended it that it was a very good one. Good job. :-)

        Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
        http://okazu.blogspot.com
      • Katherine
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
          Great! :) I'm glad that person enjoyed it.

          > I was told by someone who attended it that it was a very good one.
        • Steve Shea
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine" <smithie_28@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > Finally, for fun, the panel ended with a very brief section titled,
            > "Yuri To Show To People Who You Despise." :) The two titles that earned
            > the distinction of being placed in this section were Fight! Iczer One
            > and Project ICE. I didn't show any clips of them, but told the
            > panel-goers to feel free to seek these titles out at their discretion.
            > Then I answered any extra questions the panel-goers had, and that was
            > it. ^^

            The best use for Iczer-One I've ever heard of!

            I hope having to discuss this in rational language didn't dull the fun. The "Girl Friends" disc. grp. I post in is 24-7 giddy, despite the month+ waits.
          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
              On 01-Apr-2009 23:18 -0000, Steve Shea wrote:
              > The best use for Iczer-One I've ever heard of!
              >
              > I hope having to discuss this in rational language didn't dull the fun. The "Girl Friends" disc. grp. I post in is 24-7 giddy, despite the month+ waits.

              Speaking of which, chapter 20 is now out (and I'm stuck at work where I
              can't read it!), which should provide for even more giddiness. :)
              .oO("stifle my speach" )
            • melindabeasi
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
                Hi Katherine,

                I attended your panel at ConBust (probably I was the person taking notes throughout), and I thought you might like to see my coverage of the con for Manga Recon (http://www.popcultureshock.com/manga/index.php/features/manga-recon-conbust-2009/), since I talked about it there. I thought your panel was the animanga highlight of the weekend, and said so in my report. I'm new to Yuri, so I found it very informative! Thanks for giving such a fantastic presentation!

                Melinda Beasi
                Assistant Editor, Manga Recon

              • Katherine Hanson
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 20, 2009
                  Hi Melinda,

                  Thanks for the article! ^^ I'm glad you enjoyed the panel and ConBust.