Crimson Update... Book 2 Published!

  • sapphire_sophilia
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 9, 2009
      Crimson Stains on the Solstice Moon: 2nd Moon has been published!
      The story of Brianna and Dorothy begins as Dorothy relives how the two girls not only met but how they came to live together...

      Again, you can either purchase a paperback copy or download for a faster read at my Lulu Store - Crimson Stains: 2nd Moon
    • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
        I'm going to be attending Toracon in April, which is held at a college. I checked on the website and there was a panel suggestion thread. I sent an email requesting for my friend and I to lead a yuri/yaoi panel.

        The response:

        "We have had this request come up all ready and have had to turn it down. The convention is family friendly and the staff has decided that it would not be a good mix with the age group we have attending. Thank you for your suggestions!"

        I replied back saying that we had no intention to discuss sexually explicit material and that they could always make the panel 18+.

        The next response:

        "It was the same thing with the other panel, we had gone back and forth with discussions but ultimately the decision was no. The staff decided either way that they didn't really feel comfortable having a panel on the topic with the younger crowd we usually have. Sorry.."

        *Sigh* I thought that I would have been pretty cool to host a panel. I normally go to Otakon, which (thankfully) has a yuri panel. Someday...

        I'm gonna have to settle for wearing my I<3Yuri messenger bag and pins. Hopefully I'll be able to commission a few artists there. Any suggestions for things like this in the future?

        -EndlessD

      • Grisznak
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
          Hi
          Well, I can understand the people who are making the convention if
          it's really gonna be something more like family party, for people
          who'd like to come with their kids or with their parents. Panel about
          gay/lesbian relationships in manga/anime is not a best thing for them.
          If there are gonna be 8-12 years old kids, their parents might be
          disturbed seeing such panel in con's schelude.
          cheers
          Grisznak

          2009/3/17 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
          > I'm going to be attending Toracon in April, which is held at a college. I
          > checked on the website and there was a panel suggestion thread. I sent an
          > email requesting for my friend and I to lead a yuri/yaoi panel.
          >
          > The response:
          >
          > "We have had this request come up all ready and have had to turn it down.
          > The convention is family friendly and the staff has decided that it would
          > not be a good mix with the age group we have attending. Thank you for your
          > suggestions!"
          >
          > I replied back saying that we had no intention to discuss sexually explicit
          > material and that they could always make the panel 18+.
          >
          > The next response:
          >
          > "It was the same thing with the other panel, we had gone back and forth with
          > discussions but ultimately the decision was no. The staff decided either way
          > that they didn't really feel comfortable having a panel on the topic with
          > the younger crowd we usually have. Sorry.."
          >
          > *Sigh* I thought that I would have been pretty cool to host a panel. I
          > normally go to Otakon, which (thankfully) has a yuri panel. Someday...
          >
          > I'm gonna have to settle for wearing my I<3Yuri messenger bag and pins.
          > Hopefully I'll be able to commission a few artists there. Any suggestions
          > for things like this in the future?
          >
          > -EndlessD

        • Darkwoofe
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
            I'd have to disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gay &
            lesbian lifestyles that they have to be hidden away from children. If it
            were hentai? Sure. But as long as it isn't, there is no reason to hide
            it from children other than a reluctance of the parents to explain it to
            their kids. And if that's the case, it's the parents' problem, not the
            that of the Con staff, panel or anyone else.

            The sooner the kids are exposed to alternative lifestyles, the more
            tolerant they'll be of them. Frankly, I think it's a goal worth aiming
            for... Of course this is just my opinion and isn't meant as a slight or
            to offend anyone.

            Darkwoofe <http://devianthearts.com>
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
               > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > From: endlessdreamer13@...
              > Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:26:48 +0100
              > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Pannel Disappointment
              >
              > 2009/3/17 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
              > > I'm going to be attending Toracon in April, which is held at a college. I
              > > checked on the website and there was a panel suggestion thread. I sent an
              > > email requesting for my friend and I to lead a yuri/yaoi panel.

              The "other" panel, I'm sorry to say, was someone presuming to speak for me, without my knowledge or consent. So there was a variety of miscommunications which may well have led to your panel being rejected.

              That having been said, Tora-con does have the right to choose what panels they allow. Because Yuri is, by it's nature about "lesbian" manga, even if you are keeping the panel on manga and anime, you are bound to, at some point mention girls liking one another. While it's frustrating, a level of discomfort with this is to be expected from certain parts of the country. Of course, in a perfect world, this would not be an issue.

              I hope you'll continue to write to the and keep communications open. With time, hopefully, they will come to allow you to run your panel. In the mean time, do attend the con and tell the organizers that, gee it was a great con, but it would be so much cooler if they had a Yuri panel! :-)

              Windows Liveā„¢ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
                > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > From: darkwoofe@...
                > Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:31:08 -0400
                > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Pannel Disappointment
                >
                > I'd have to disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gay &
                > lesbian lifestyles that they have to be hidden away from children. If it
                > were hentai? Sure. But as long as it isn't, there is no reason to hide
                > it from children other than a reluctance of the parents to explain it to
                > their kids. And if that's the case, it's the parents' problem, not the
                > that of the Con staff, panel or anyone else.

                That's your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to it. Feel free to express that politely to the con in question. But, bear in mind that cons are private organizations and do have a right to set their standards. You have the right to attend or not. That's one important way to make yourself heard.

                Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                http://okazu.blogspot.com

                HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
              • yelaiel_3
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
                  im just going to ask if how can i talk to other nember of yuricon?
                • Grisznak
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 18, 2009
                    "I'd have to disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gay &
                    lesbian lifestyles that they have to be hidden away from children. If it
                    were hentai? Sure. But as long as it isn't, there is no reason to hide
                    it from children other than a reluctance of the parents to explain it to
                    their kids. And if that's the case, it's the parents' problem, not the
                    that of the Con staff, panel or anyone else."

                    Then I have to ask - have you ever been at such panel? Can you
                    promise, that some stupid, crazy yaoi (especially yaoi, but yuri too)
                    fangirls/fanboys didn't come and they start the chat about things
                    definitly inappropriate for kids? I made about 10 (or maybe more) yuri
                    panels and I can't promise such thing. That's why I understand
                    organisers. It's better to prevent than to have troubles with angry
                    parents.
                    cheers
                    Grisznak
                  • Darkwoofe
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 18, 2009
                      I can see your point. I tend to forget that there are crazy (or just
                      plain stupid) people on both sides of the argument. I actually started
                      thinking about it more yesterday and this along with a few other good
                      reasons came to mind why it wouldn't always work. In an ideal world,
                      maybe it would, but large groups of people tend to easily get set off by
                      the silliest of things.

                      Like I said earlier, no offense intended, just an opinion.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 18, 2009
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yelaiel_3" <yelaiel_3@...> wrote:

                        > im just going to ask if how can i talk to other nember of yuricon?

                        You just did. Send an email to this email address and everyone on the mailing list can read it. :-)

                        Welcome to the Yuricon Mailing List!

                      • Rinu CZ
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 18, 2009
                          2009/3/18 Grisznak <grisznakiw@...>:
                          > "I'd have to disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gay &
                          > lesbian lifestyles that they have to be hidden away from children. If it
                          > were hentai? Sure.
                          Depends on circumstances. Here hentai is scheduded strictly from 10PM
                          since it's TV regulation. At this time if parents brings kids there,
                          they are irresponsible parents. Plus, ID is usually checked in room's
                          entrance.

                          > Then I have to ask - have you ever been at such panel? Can you
                          > promise, that some stupid, crazy yaoi (especially yaoi, but yuri too)
                          > fangirls/fanboys didn't come and they start the chat about things
                          > definitly inappropriate for kids?
                          If you want to see from this point, how can be so sure about panels
                          which aren't about yuri or yaoi? I have visited such panels and I
                          wouldn't be so daring to say something like that (and thus not apply
                          my arguments only on LGBT sections).

                          But like Erica said, cons are made by private organizations, so it's
                          their own choice and you can decide for yourself whenever you want to
                          go or not.

                          Just for off record, here yuri is one of the most wanted panels, so
                          you can be sure it will be visited by many con's visitors and
                          organizers are pleased to have the panel ^^.

                          With kind regards,

                          Rinu
                        • yelaiel_3
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 19, 2009