Re: Maria-sama ga Miteru: Did I miss something?

  • salviawillow
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Hosmer" <jhosmer1@...> wrote:

      > Howdy all... I recently got the first disc of Maria-sama ga Miteru
      > from Netflix and settled down to watch it. I was quite looking
      > forward to it, as it seemed to be highly recommended.
      >
      > Sadly, I found myself disliking it almost from the start, and after
      > two episodes I just gave up on it. So, is there something about the
      > later episodes that makes it so highly recommended, or is it just my
      > personal tastes?
      >
      > It's hard to say what I didn't like. I definitely found the titles
      > of the yamayuri council to be pretentious (and a mouthful, which I
      > think one of the characters even mentions), and I was uncomfortable
      > with the religious themes (I'm a recovering catholic myself, which
      > has left me with a firm distrust of organized religions).
      >
      > Most of all, it was the unthinking, low-level cruelty (or at least
      > that's how I saw it) in how the school girls showed each other.
      > Someone doesn't want to play Cinderella? Guilt her into doing it!
      > Someone doesn't want to be a souer? Make a bet over it! There was a
      > lot of bullying in it, it seemed to me (polite bullying, but still
      > bullying), which I might be sensitive about. My wife, however,
      > assured me that schoolgirls can often act like that (I went to an all-
      > boy catholic high school myself.)
      >
      > So, I don't mean this as an attack on the show. I'm just curious now
      > if I gave up on a good show too soon? Some anime TV shows start
      > slow, or don't really hit their stride for several episodes, and I
      > wonder if this was the case and I'm really missing something.

      First of all, hello to you all, as it's my first post in this group. ^^ Second, I like to say: I had the same feeling when starting this Anime. At first I thought it's boring and I have to admit the first episodes are just boring. I can only speak for myself of course. But as you are watching you start liking it. You grow into the characters, get to know them as if they were real persons and you start to like or dislike them. Sooner or later you just have to watch and you get addicted. Ha ha! And really...it's getting funnier and more interesting. So give it another try!

      As to speak of religion: I am a religious person myself and it's best to not take it to serious. I mean, it also has some cute and lovely religious elements in it.

      I hope this helps you a bit in your decision. ^^