Maria-sama ga Miteru: Did I miss something?

  • Jeffrey Hosmer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
      Howdy all... I recently got the first disc of Maria-sama ga Miteru
      from Netflix and settled down to watch it. I was quite looking
      forward to it, as it seemed to be highly recommended.

      Sadly, I found myself disliking it almost from the start, and after
      two episodes I just gave up on it. So, is there something about the
      later episodes that makes it so highly recommended, or is it just my
      personal tastes?

      It's hard to say what I didn't like. I definitely found the titles
      of the yamayuri council to be pretentious (and a mouthful, which I
      think one of the characters even mentions), and I was uncomfortable
      with the religious themes (I'm a recovering catholic myself, which
      has left me with a firm distrust of organized religions).

      Most of all, it was the unthinking, low-level cruelty (or at least
      that's how I saw it) in how the school girls showed each other.
      Someone doesn't want to play Cinderella? Guilt her into doing it!
      Someone doesn't want to be a souer? Make a bet over it! There was a
      lot of bullying in it, it seemed to me (polite bullying, but still
      bullying), which I might be sensitive about. My wife, however,
      assured me that schoolgirls can often act like that (I went to an all-
      boy catholic high school myself.)

      So, I don't mean this as an attack on the show. I'm just curious now
      if I gave up on a good show too soon? Some anime TV shows start
      slow, or don't really hit their stride for several episodes, and I
      wonder if this was the case and I'm really missing something.
    • chimerayuri
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Hosmer" <jhosmer1@...> wrote:

        > Howdy all... I recently got the first disc of Maria-sama ga Miteru
        > from Netflix and settled down to watch it. I was quite looking
        > forward to it, as it seemed to be highly recommended.
        >
        > Sadly, I found myself disliking it almost from the start, and after
        > two episodes I just gave up on it. So, is there something about the
        > later episodes that makes it so highly recommended, or is it just my
        > personal tastes?

        I would try Watching the Later episodes. I also started watching the show also o hear-say. By
        EP 6 i was hooked. The whole Cinderella aspect shows the dedication to the school they have
        and there beliefs in how they do certain things. It helps with the character development of
        each girl as you will note and see more clearly later, You will also see how the character
        change for the better as well. It Might just be because I am a fan of the series but I would say
        give it another chance. Its a unique show and is popular for a reason.
      • Rinu CZ
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hi Jeffrey,

          I would call their behavior in these two episodes more like a proof that they aren't perfect and don't have to know how to handle a situation well. For example, Youko will say something similar to this later.

          I am not fan of religious themes too but there it is more like background and reason for environment almost exclusively filled with girls, I'd say.

          Charm of this show are truly characters and their growing. And I admit the first two anime episodes are little somewhere else when a rest of the series. They feel more angsty and thus. I would give another try, and if you discover that it doesn't really suit your tastes, you can drop it without any regrets :).

          With kind regards,

          Rinu

          2009/3/3 Jeffrey Hosmer <jhosmer1@...>
[...]

        • sarcastic_weasel
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
            You gave up on it too soon, but I can understand having baggage. It's
            an anime based on a series of 34 novels or so (depending on how you
            count them), and the first 3 episodes are just based on the first novel.

            When I first watched it, I thought, "Oh, wow, these girls are mean!
            This is going to an interesting series!" I'll admit it, I was almmost
            kind of hoping it would be 12 episodes of Sachiko chasing Yumi around,
            setting traps where rosaries would drop from the ceiling around Yumi's
            neck or something. Lol. It didn't, but it settled down and turned into
            something totally and utterly different that I found to be pretty
            enjoyable.

            Honestly, the first few episodes give you a starting point to see
            where all of the characters come from. Sort of a baseline.

            As Erica said in an earlier post, the story in MariMite is the how the
            characters grow up over time. And they do grow up, and they figure
            things out. The characters start off a little two-dimensional, but as
            you get to know them, they gain a lot of depth.

            It starts to pick up in the 4th and 5th episodes of the first season,
            when you start finding out that people aren't exactly who they seem to
            be on the surface.

            The titles... well... like anything, with time you get used to them.
            They're a bit overblown and silly, but it's a fantasy story.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > From: jhosmer1@...
              > Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:57:24 +0000
              > Subject: [Yuricon] Maria-sama ga Miteru: Did I miss something?

              > Sadly, I found myself disliking it almost from the start, and after
              > two episodes I just gave up on it. So, is there something about the
              > later episodes that makes it so highly recommended, or is it just my
              > personal tastes?

              It's your personal taste. I can think of a dozen series off the top of my head that Fandom overwhelmingly loves that I can't stand for one reason or another. Nothing wrong with liking what you like and not liking what you don't. :-)

              Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. See how.
            • salviawillow
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
                First of all, hello to you all, as it's my first post in this group. ^^ Second, I like to say: I had the same feeling when starting this Anime. At first I thought it's boring and I have to admit the first episodes are just boring. I can only speak for myself of course. But as you are watching you start liking it. You grow into the characters, get to know them as if they were real persons and you start to like or dislike them. Sooner or later you just have to watch and you get addicted. Ha ha! And really...it's getting funnier and more interesting. So give it another try!

                As to speak of religion: I am a religious person myself and it's best to not take it to serious. I mean, it also has some cute and lovely religious elements in it.

                I hope this helps you a bit in your decision. ^^
              • salviawillow
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009