Re: Yuri Databases for noobs like me?

  • jaeeunsung
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "dce.advanced"
      <advancedlightingsvc@...> wrote:

      > Hi all, this is my first post but I figured this was as good a place
      > to start as any. I don't know much about the Shoujo Ai/Yuri universe
      > and I am trying to find databases that have extensive descriptions and
      > reviews of good titles, because honestly, I have accidentally bought
      > hard core hentai one too many times based off of a vague description,
      > and that's not what I am looking for. Shoujo-Ai.com is the best I
      > have found so far that goes into detail as to what exactly you are
      > getting yourself into and the level of yuri content in the title. Any
      > suggestions of others?

      if you are looking for yuri or shoujo-Ai based manga i suggest you to
      join the Mangafox community.you can learn lots from there if you are
      really a hardcore fan of this genre.and the good part is the manga
      directory search for genre have been improve.and when you try to
      search yuri based manga you will be pretty happy with the outcome of
      the search. .from my opinion yuri manga and anime will can be a very
      wealthy genre because the increase of the fan's around the world that
      are wanting for this kind of genre. ;D
    • Rinu CZ
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
        Hi dce.advanced,

        First of all, I would like to welcome. Shoujo-ai.com and Okazu come in
        handy but you could try anidb.net too. At first sight it can look only
        like a database of fansubs but  what I appreciate is a combination of
        filters and tags. This is filter for shoujo-ai -
        http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist&catid.278=100 and
        this tag for shoujo-ai -
        http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animelist&catid.278=100
        (added by users). You don't have to worry about choosing hentai title
        accidentally because they do difference between shoujo ai and yuri.
        Yes, it isn't a yuri database, I wouldn't take these tags "too"
        seriously, and it isn't primary review website but the best choice is
        usually a mix of various resources.

        With kind regards,

        Rinu

        2009/3/3 dce.advanced <advancedlightingsvc@...>

        > Hi all, this is my first post but I figured this was as good a place
        > to start as any.  I don't know much about the Shoujo Ai/Yuri universe
        > and I am trying to find databases that have extensive descriptions and
        > reviews of good titles, because honestly, I have accidentally bought
        > hard core hentai one too many times based off of a vague description,
        > and that's not what I am looking for.  Shoujo-Ai.com is the best I
        > have found so far that goes into detail as to what exactly you are
        > getting yourself into and the level of yuri content in the title.  Any
        > suggestions of others?

      • yurichansmiles
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2009
          I'm in the same boat as a noob, help us out!
        • Shannon J. L.
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2009
            It's hard to do such a database because everyone has a different definition of yuri.

            Is two girls kissing yuri?
            A one sided attraction?
            Does it have to have sex to be yuri?
            Does it count as yuri if it's subtext?
            Do we include a series that just has a yuri subplot?
            If the girls are usually straight but have lesbian sex, do we count that too?

            And so on and so forth.
            *lol*

            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yurichansmiles" <yurichansmiles@...> wrote:

            > I'm in the same boat as a noob, help us out!

          • Resop
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2009
              I think that those sorts of questions would be the foundation for a database. Admittedly, you would wind up with a lot of shows that some people might not consider yuri, but the point of having a data base is to do "filters" where you can say "Well, I only want to see a show that has yuri subtext but no kissing" and the database will give you a list of those particular shows.

              Unfortunately, for it to be a database that has universal utility it would also have to have categories like "What color red did the lead character turn when she blushed" and "What style pantsu did the lead character wear". Specifically, it would be a lot of work.

              Craig

              > It's hard to do such a database because everyone has a
              > different definition of yuri.
              >
              > Is two girls kissing yuri?
              > A one sided attraction?
              > Does it have to have sex to be yuri?
              > Does it count as yuri if it's subtext?
              > Do we include a series that just has a yuri subplot?
              > If the girls are usually straight but have lesbian sex, do
              > we count that too?
              >
              > And so on and so forth.
              > *lol*
              >
              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yurichansmiles"
              > <yurichansmiles@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm in the same boat as a noob, help us out!

            • Nick Perez
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2009
                Apparently there is an english dub of maria-sama but i'll put more info up later

                I think that those sorts of questions would be the foundation for a database. Admittedly, you would wind up with a lot of shows that some people might not consider yuri, but the point of having a data base is to do "filters" where you can say "Well, I only want to see a show that has yuri subtext but no kissing" and the database will give you a list of those particular shows.

                Unfortunately, for it to be a database that has universal utility it would also have to have categories like "What color red did the lead character turn when she blushed" and "What style pantsu did the lead character wear". Specifically, it would be a lot of work.

                Craig

                > It's hard to do such a database because everyone has a
                > different definition of yuri.
                >
                > Is two girls kissing yuri?
                > A one sided attraction?
                > Does it have to have sex to be yuri?
                > Does it count as yuri if it's subtext?
                > Do we include a series that just has a yuri subplot?
                > If the girls are usually straight but have lesbian sex, do
                > we count that too?
                >
                > And so on and so forth.
                > *lol*
                >
                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, "yurichansmiles"
                > <yurichansmiles@ ...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm in the same boat as a noob, help us out!

              • samantha luquin
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2009
                  Yes it plays on Animax East Asia apparently. I had heard it stopped abrutly at about episode six or so. From what I've read on forums Marimite still shows on Animax but now only in sub format.

                  -Samantha

                  Apparently there is an english dub of maria-sama but i'll put more info up later

                  I think that those sorts of questions would be the foundation for a database. Admittedly, you would wind up with a lot of shows that some people might not consider yuri, but the point of having a data base is to do "filters" where you can say "Well, I only want to see a show that has yuri subtext but no kissing" and the database will give you a list of those particular shows.

                  Unfortunately, for it to be a database that has universal utility it would also have to have categories like "What color red did the lead character turn when she blushed" and "What style pantsu did the lead character wear". Specifically, it would be a lot of work.

                  Craig

                  > It's hard to do such a database because everyone has a
                  > different definition of yuri.
                  >
                  > Is two girls kissing yuri?
                  > A one sided attraction?
                  > Does it have to have sex to be yuri?
                  > Does it count as yuri if it's subtext?
                  > Do we include a series that just has a yuri subplot?
                  > If the girls are usually straight but have lesbian sex, do
                  > we count that too?
                  >
                  > And so on and so forth.
                  > *lol*
                  >
                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, "yurichansmiles"
                  > <yurichansmiles@ ...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm in the same boat as a noob, help us out!

                • Johann Chua
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8, 2009
                    On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:23 AM, samantha luquin <lucypanorama@...> wrote:
                    > Yes it plays on Animax East Asia apparently. I had heard it stopped abrutly
                    > at about episode six or so. From what I've read on forums Marimite still
                    > shows on Animax but now only in sub format.

                    AFAIK Animax Asia has never shown Marimite subtitled. Might be an
                    option with digital cable boxes, though, since dual audio seems to be
                    standard (sometimes they air shows in Japanese with no subtitles by
                    mistake). They've shown the first three seasons dubbed. On the
                    Philippine feed we're getting the English dub in reruns right now
                    (just watched s1 eps. 9 & 10). I guess the default setting is English
                    dubbed for analog cable, unless the cable provider sets things up
                    differently.

                    The _Tagalog_ dub only made it to episode eight. Right before Mifuyu's
                    story, and Sei/Shiori, so I'm guessing someone at the network finally
                    noticed the yuri bits of the story. Not exactly Saturday morning
                    (actual timeslot) stuff, though their promos indicated they thought
                    that the show was all about friendship.
                  • Nick Perez
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8, 2009
                      From what I've gained, Candice Moore plays Sachiko, she did the theme song performance for Animal Yokocho and did the Animax dub version of Masahiro in Shonen Onmyouji which I probably need to hear cause Chio Su Ping as him sound not too good.

                      Sarah Hauser does Yumi and did Yuu in Gakuken Alice

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8, 2009
                        On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Nick Perez <vanezzania@...> wrote:
                        > From what I've gained, Candice Moore plays Sachiko, she did the theme song
                        > performance for Animal Yokocho and did the Animax dub version of Masahiro in
                        > Shonen Onmyouji which I probably need to hear cause Chio Su Ping as him
                        > sound not too good.

                        Candice Moore also played Kurama and Yukito in the Animax dubs of Yu
                        Yu Hakusho and CCS (Megumi Ogata bishounen voice stand-in, basically).
                        Same voice she uses for Rei.

                        This is her performance of "Fantasista Girl" (Aniyoko ED1):

                        http://rapidshare.com/files/170383170/ani-yoko-1.mp3

                        Going by her roles in Le Chevalier D'Eon (Queen Marie and Queen
                        Mary-Charlotte) and Emma (Eleanor, Polly, Mrs. Wick) she sounds much
                        better when she gets to use British accents, but of course most of the
                        time that would stick out too much.
                      • Nick Perez
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2009
                          So basically she's an upcoming voice actress like Kelli Kasadi (? spelling)