Return of the Guilty Pleasure

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2009
      For those of you who, like me, enjoy being endlessly tormented by
      Morinaga Milk, it seems there's a new chapter of Girl Friends out after
      its one-month hiatus.

      Oh, and there's a two-page short from last month which is just...
      disturbing, on so very many levels.

      Given the seven-chapters-per-volume format, we might just possibly
      have a conclusion in two months' time. Or we might get a whole volume
      more of unbearably bittersweet ship-teasing. (Hurt me some more,
      Morinaga-sensei! ;)

      SPOILER

      SPACE

      HERE

      Whilst it's great to see Akko finally growing a clue, it does mean we
      now have twice as many reasons to yell "just TELL HER already!", even
      if it's easy to understand why neither of them feels like they can.
      (Underneath all the make-up and the product-placement, it's that thread
      of sympathetic believability that makes it so addictive, I think.
      Sure, it's pretty much Story A, but it's at least a really
      well-engineered Story A.)

      Hopefully Mari's boyfriend has realised that things won't work out
      between them at the end there; at least he's a decent enough human
      being, in a dramatic break with the traditions of the genre.
      (Reminding me somewhat of the early parts of Haru yo Koi, before the
      protagonist mutated into an idiotic cad.)

      If it does end in two chapters, I can't help but feel that it'd be
      something of a rush. Unless we're getting the depressing
      "unhappily-married Mari remembering her adolescence" ending, I
      suppose. But that would seem a rather jarring way to close things out.

      But as for this chapter, poor Akko really needs a hug...
      .oO("AND WHAT FRAME OF REFERENCE ARE YOU IN, _-*BOZO*-_?" )
    • Rikaishi
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2009
        The two-page short is classic Morinaga. She was weird long before she
        tried mainstream (re: Passionate electric waves) so I guess it's to be
        expected that it breaks through on occasion.
        I think of it as Mari's strange homoerotic dream in the grand
        tradition of Miyuki-chan in Wonderland.