Rule of Rose comfired lesbianism.

  • katwilliams@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009
      I did a search to see this game was mentioned but not by anyone who
      played the game and I've played the game several times through and
      thought it was worth rementioning.

      Rule of Rose is the story of Jennifer who at 17 returns to the
      orphanage where she stayed as a child. Upon returning she is
      confronted with images from her past and a mystery about a strange boy
      who is trying to torture her mind. The story is a twisted
      psychological thriller dealing with Jennifer's blocked memories of the
      bullying and torture she received while at the house. More then
      anything it is the beautiful tale of love and jealousy between
      Jennifer and Wendy. There is also a rather odd and sort of one sided
      relationship between Diana and Meg, there is even a cut scene, in the
      opening only, showing Meg giving Diana a rose while bent down on her
      knees in a washroom stall. Diana wraps her hands around Megs and
      squeezes them until the thorns pierce Meg's finger and then Diana
      sucks the blood off her fingers. Also there is an image of Jennifer
      and Wendy laying in the rose garden, touching foreheads and Jennifer
      asking for a kiss.

      During the game at least three relationships are confirmed, Wendy and
      Jennifer did have an innocent relationship and Meg was very much in
      love with Diana. I loved the story between Wendy and Jennifer. This
      was one of the main reasons the game was banned in several countries.
      There are a lot of sexual instances in the game that can be taken the
      wrong way, more so when you find out what the Head of the Orphanage is
      up to.

      The game itself is relatively easy, but the controls are rather
      frustrating and the scares are not that great. For the most part it is
      one large puzzle that you have to solve and you spend most of the game
      running away because if you fight you are very much dead. It only took
      me two sittings to finish the game through once and I finished it a
      second time just to find all the hidden things in the game that give
      more of the bad story, like all the letters sent between Wendy and
      Jennifer throughout the story.

      I love the tale so much, even if it is a tragic story that does not
      end happily, that it because my first attempt at writing a fanfiction
      in which I took all of Wendy and Jennifer's letters to each other and
      created the story that happens before the game began. I wrote it for
      two reasons, one it is a beautiful twisted tale of love and two I
      wanted to bring this tale to those who could not get the game. If you
      are interested I posted it on my DA account and should get back to
      writing more of it again.

      http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/gallery/#Rule-of-the-Rose

      Well, That is all from me.

      jaa ne

      Kat
    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "katwilliams@..." <katwilliams@...> wrote:

        > Rule of Rose is the story of Jennifer who at 17 returns to the
        > orphanage where she stayed as a child. Upon returning she is
        > confronted with images from her past and a mystery about a strange boy
        > who is trying to torture her mind.

        Ah yes. I remember this game being advertised but never saw it out in
        Europe. A very nice idea to turn into a fanfic. I'll look forward to it.
      • katwilliams@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
          <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

          > Ah yes. I remember this game being advertised but never saw it out in
          > Europe. A very nice idea to turn into a fanfic. I'll look forward to it.

          That would be because Europe is one of the first places to ban the
          game. There was a huge uproar over the overly sexual nature of the
          game, but in fact there is nothing really sexual in the game, other
          then Diana licking blood off of Meg's finger and a scene in which
          another girl is crawling over Jennifer frantically. If you don't know
          what is going on it can come across the wrong way. From what I can
          tell from the letters something did happen between Wendy and Jennifer
          that makes the head master start referring to Jennifer as "Nasty"
          "Disgusting" and "Filthy" but it is really not fully explained.

          I finished the first 8 chapters and took a break in order to research
          more about Orphanages in 1930s England and it is surprising what one
          can find. With the game story the way it is this can be a very dark
          and demented story so I wanted to touch up the opening adding in more
          descriptive and the like. While the game played out in a series of
          flashbacks I'm going to write it in a more linear fashion so it is
          taking a while to sort out the order the story played out. All I have
          is these letter and other events that depict the order of the events
          and I want it to be as close to the game story as possible, not sure
          if that is considered a fanfic or not... more like a novelization.

          Well enjoy rambling out of me. Back to work. Nearly finished another
          page of Inside OuT. I'll probably take a break from manga to work on
          Rule of the Rose again.

          Kat