Re: [Yuricon] Everything old is...forgotten? What was your gateway anime?

  • Carmen DiProspero
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
      OK, this will show my age, but my first taste of anime came in the late 60's to early 70's with the old UHF Philadelphia stations that aired Astro Boy, Kimba, Gigantor, Marine Boy, 8th Man, Speed Racer, and Prince Planet.

      My first taste of yuri, before I even heard of the term yuri was Project A-ko. I found this out by accident. I was looking for a third film to rent on a Saturday Night from West Coast Video (remember them?), so I picked up the subtitled version of Project A-ko and thought, WOW! This really piqued my curiosity for anime. Project A-ko was the first anime I ever rented.

      As for first anime I ever purchased, it was 2 releases from Suncoast; Plastic Little (one of Satoshi Urushibara's yuri-fests) and Magical Twilight (a Pink Pineapple produced hentai, which, IMHO, isn't too explicit for my tastes). This was back in 1994, when anime on VHS was $24.95-$39.95, mostly subtitled, and ADVision releases had the black tortoise shells for VHS cases.  And the only dubbed anime on the block were Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, the original Bubblegum Crisis, and the Streamline releases (i.e. - Dirty Pair, Crying Freeman). Also, the old US Renditions had a few dubbed releases, one of which was Iczer-One (another yuri release).

      Carmen  =^_^=