Re: [Yuricon] Everything old is...forgotten? What was your gateway anime?

  • Allison Passino
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                      You're totally right, Erica-san. My gateway was actually Sailor Moon. I didn't care about the repeated footage 'cause I couldn't see anyways so I just listened to the sparkly music. Lol. I watched it the first time dubbed, and I was like hmmm. The voice actors are horrendous, but the story's kinda cool! Then I watched it in Japanese. I had no clue what they were saying, but I just didn't care. It was so awesome! Then there was Haruka...she is so my idol! I was appalled when I went back and watched the dub; they turned Haruka-sama and Michiru into bloody clones! Well that's how it sounded to me at least. Their voices sounded totally the same! But that's just me; sorry for the rant. Lol. Ano...not to sound dense but what's Kanazuki no Miko about? I've heard of it, I just haven't really looked into it. Long live Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon!
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
        I find with Utena, if you don't think about it too hard, it makes more sense. Lol. Oh hey, if you guys haven't seen it already, do check out Empty Movement! It's an awesome Utena site!
        I'd seen anime before, but the one that really counted was "Adolescence of Utena". I didn't understand it, of course, but it set me off on collecting the TV series.

        Ellen

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
          Ah, Utena...so awesome! The music, the characters, the seiyuu, the storyline...need I go on?? Lol.
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
            My first anime I ever watched was probably the obscure dub of an old
            70s anime on video, The Brave Frog. However my first gateway anime was
            something I rented by accident when I was eight years old: Project
            A-ko. Say what you will about it, but the mix of fabulously animated
            action sequences and lesbian subtexts blew my little mind, and pretty
            much sent me down the road into anime fandom.

            Me being British however, it was difficult trying to get hold of
            anime, as most of the popular American gateway series never actually
            made it over here. The Ranma 1/2 anime, for instance, never appeared
            on British shores until a couple of years ago, when MVM released the
            movies on DVD. Just the movies, too. At least I got to read the manga,
            in those American style volumes that were two chapters every month...

            Looking back on those days, I'm wondering how otaku put up with all of that.

            --
            Vyo wei oh
            Houm va ray
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
              On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:03:09 -0500, Erica Friedman
              <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

              > > My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku: Micro Patrol,
              > > but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I watched it as a
              > > kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I would
              > > recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
              > > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol.
              > Okay, now I want to see that. lol

              I'm sure I remember something vaguely similar from when I was a kid,
              but I'd thought it was French... Was this the one with the eeeevil
              streptococci looking like yellow worms with big red noses and the
              little lipid ducks jumping into furnaces? (And if /that/
              description doesn't make me sound strange, nothing will. :)
              .oO("You taught me how to forgive." )
            • Allison Passino
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                I don't know what that was from, but it was hilarious!
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                  I love Marimite! I wanna marry Satou Sei so bad. Lol.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                    > On a popular forum a few weeks ago, some called "Sailor Moon" an
                    > obscure series that no one. Legitimately so - it's 14 years old.
                    > (Really, it is.)

                    My first anime was Astro Boy (black and white version). Since then, I
                    caught a few series through the years, notably Robotech in the 80's.
                    I even gave Sailor Moon a look-see and hated it. Several series on
                    the Cartoon Network caught my eye, but the one that really sparked my
                    interest was Case Closed. At little research showed me that the real
                    name of the series was Meitantei Conan and that it had Hundreds of
                    episodes and several movies as well as the manga it was initially
                    based on. This led me to fan-subbing and bit torrent. On a lark, I
                    watched Maria-sama ga Miteru and loved it.

                    It has been quite a ride the last few years. I have watched, and am
                    watching, series running the gamut from thought-provoking works, that
                    are a good as anything found in other media, to fun, but mind-numbing,
                    dreck. And, of course, there is the MUSIC!

                    Based on things written on this list, and at the urging of a friend,
                    who is further into anime than me, I have watched the sub-titled
                    version of Sailor Moon. I will write about my impressions later.

                    Regards,

                    Bob
                  • Resop
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                      8Man, called Eighth Man in the US. A truly craptastic anime show from the 60's. It was the first cyborg hero show, predating kamen rider.

                      The manga was published in Weekly Shounen Magazine 1963-1966.

                      Craig

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                        My very first Anime was my very first love; Sailor Moon. :3 Le sigh

                        But since this was the N. American dub, I don't think it qualifies as my first Yuri love. I learned when it was cancled that it had homosexual characters (Zoisite and Kunzite being the first), but even when the show was revitalised from cancelation, all signs of homosexuality were promptly edited out, reworded, and gender reassigned (in Zoisites' case).

                        I was aware of anime and manga before Sailor Moon, but nothing went so far as to capure my interest quite the way they managed. Otherwise it would have been some Unicorn anime from my early-early childhood (perhaps, The Last Unicorn). I still havn't watched the unedited non-dubbed version of Sailor Moon. It may have been my first love, but I'm afraid of what I've grown out of. :)

                        L-Chan

                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        From: adam@...
                        Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:37:52 +0000

                        <alecto_fury@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                        > > My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku: Micro Patrol,
                        > > but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I watched it as a
                        > > kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I would
                        > > recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                        > > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol.
                        > Okay, now I want to see that. lol

                        I'm sure I remember something vaguely similar from when I was a kid,
                        but I'd thought it was French... Was this the one with the eeeevil
                        streptococci looking like yellow worms with big red noses and the
                        little lipid ducks jumping into furnaces? (And if /that/
                        description doesn't make me sound strange, nothing will. :)
                        --
                        Adam Jones (adam@yggdrasl. demon.co. uk)(http://www.yggdrasl .demon.co. uk/)
                        .oO("You taught me how to forgive." )

                        Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how
                      • sarcastic_weasel
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                          I remember watching bad "Speed Racer" dubs as a rugrat, as well as
                          "Battle of the Planets," and "Star Blazers," but I never really got
                          hooked. (But I did find the bird costumes in BOTP fascinating. Why
                          they dressed as birds was beyond me. I need to watch that in Japanese
                          sometime.)

                          What hooked me? Actually, TechTV ran a "Crest of the Stars" marathon
                          about 7-8 years ago, which I watched while cleaning the house late one
                          night, and I got hooked on the whole Abh mythology. Yes, I am a nerd,
                          and I've always had a weak spot for a good space opera. Not so much
                          with the giant robots, though. My interest was piqued. So I was open
                          to the idea.

                          But I think what really hooked me on anime was Cowboy Bebop. (Yeah,
                          I'm one of those people.) The music was great, and it wasn't like
                          anything I was expecting--especially the ending. I was pretty fed up
                          with American TeeVee at the time, so I figured I'd look for New and
                          Different. It fit the bill, and as soon as I started looking, I found
                          lots more of New and Different.

                          From there, well, the whole downward spiral started. :D

                          (Only later did I discover all the cliches in the "new and different!"
                          XD But they were new and different cliches!)

                          Oh yeah, sometime soon after, I started watching this odd little anime
                          about these girls at this school who all spoke in keigo, and they were
                          all poking fun at this one girl with pigtails in a catty kind of way,
                          and before I knew it, dammit, I got sucked in to MSGM. XD
                        • catchperfect
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                            i don't even know where to start, i had to sit down and give some thought to my  gateway anime. but it'd probably have to be Speed Racer and thought not anime, i was obsessed with UltraMan (where i lived, one of the tv stations would air a block of Japanese programming like Speed Racer, Godzilla and then UltraMan). this was my breakfast before going to school (much to my mom's chagrin).

                            but in terms of when anime really hit me over the head, it was The Fantastic Adventures of Unico and also Vampire Hunter-D. i know, what an unlikely combo! but i also got into Macross / Robotech - where i discovered i had crushes on both Rick Hunter (Hikaru) and Lisa Hayes (Misa)! then Yuri hit me like a tons of  lovely bricks in Sailor Moon.

                            i was lucky to live one block away from a comic book store when i was a kid - so i spent a lot of time there. (*-*)
                            my first manga was the Eclipse-Viz translation of "Mai, the Psychic Girl". i happened upon it when i went in to pick up the latest Spiderman and Mai was sitting on the shelf - for me, it was th first time i had seen a comic book - much less a COVER - of what looked to me like an asian girl - and as a asian teenage girl at that time, it was huge deal for me. i felt somewhat represented (no offense to the many superheroes and heroines i admired and bought comics to read, but i couldn't relate to some degree). anyway, that was the start of reading and collecting manga of all kinds - to this day, i still have my original collection of "Mai, The Psychic Girl" among many other titles.

                            the cool and funny thing to all this was the comic store owner - me and my younger sister were probably the only two girls who ever really set foot in there and hung out amongst all the boys in our neighborhood (yeah yeah there were adults, but when you're a kid you notice only other kids, i guess). he sometimes would ask me and my sis what we'd like to see in the shop or what we would want to read - and when Mai was released, he said he thought of us. and for that, i am forever thankful. sadly, the store's no longer there, but i will have great memories of that place and a deep appreciation for local shops that care.

                            thanks for a GREAT question! this brings back some good times...

                            cheers,
                            grace

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                              My first anime's would be Sailor moon and pokemon, but the first
                              serious anime i watched that got me really into the whole thing was
                              Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. This one introduced me to anime but made
                              me love it. Aftering seeing it i had to find more so i went to my
                              local video store and hired the Tenchi Muyo OVA series which became
                              and still is today my fav anime of all time. ^_^
                            • Allison Passino
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                Sounds hilarious. Now I'm gonna have to try and get it. Lol.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
                                  My first actual experience was holding my dad's hand in Blockbuster
                                  when I was 5 or 6-ish and spying the cover of Birdy the Mighty. I saw
                                  the cover, read the back summary, and was interested. Then I saw some
                                  Adult rating and I got scared away. Hehe.

                                  I can hardly compete with some of you guys and your early anime
                                  exposures, but I started with Voltron, which was interesting but sort
                                  of craptastic, on a very early Toonami-type thing. Then next to
                                  Voltron was Robotech (Macross) and I watched it and really loved it.
                                  From there I sort of started getting into the anime world. I saw
                                  Sailor Moon some time later and loved it, even if it was the super
                                  crappy English kidified dub. I stuck to the more Shounen side of
                                  things initially, but initially discovered the anime communities
                                  online and discovered the wide world of anime.
                                • Carmen DiProspero
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
                                    OK, this will show my age, but my first taste of anime came in the late 60's to early 70's with the old UHF Philadelphia stations that aired Astro Boy, Kimba, Gigantor, Marine Boy, 8th Man, Speed Racer, and Prince Planet.

                                    My first taste of yuri, before I even heard of the term yuri was Project A-ko. I found this out by accident. I was looking for a third film to rent on a Saturday Night from West Coast Video (remember them?), so I picked up the subtitled version of Project A-ko and thought, WOW! This really piqued my curiosity for anime. Project A-ko was the first anime I ever rented.

                                    As for first anime I ever purchased, it was 2 releases from Suncoast; Plastic Little (one of Satoshi Urushibara's yuri-fests) and Magical Twilight (a Pink Pineapple produced hentai, which, IMHO, isn't too explicit for my tastes). This was back in 1994, when anime on VHS was $24.95-$39.95, mostly subtitled, and ADVision releases had the black tortoise shells for VHS cases.  And the only dubbed anime on the block were Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, the original Bubblegum Crisis, and the Streamline releases (i.e. - Dirty Pair, Crying Freeman). Also, the old US Renditions had a few dubbed releases, one of which was Iczer-One (another yuri release).

                                    Carmen  =^_^=