RE: [Yuricon] 2008 Top Ten Yuri Lists on Okazu

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: kyuketshki@...
      Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:02:56 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Yuricon] 2008 Top Ten Yuri Lists on Okazu

      > Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

      In general, absolutes are rarely correct. :-)

      Of course there are many series in which the allegedly "Yuri" characters are not shown in a relationship with a man. If by "Yuri" you mean "hentai" then you are correct, most of the lesbian relationships are okazu, but I could certainly come up with several characters off the top of my head that aren't in any way involved in relationships with men during the context of the series.  I'm sure that many other people could as well.

      It's true that there are very few 100% totally-absolutely-incontravertably *lesbian* characters in anime and manga. Plausible deniability creates a larger audience. :-)

      Cheers, Erica

    • Jaymie C
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods; they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

        > Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

        In general, absolutes are rarely correct. :-)

        Of course there are many series in which the allegedly "Yuri" characters are not shown in a relationship with a man. If by "Yuri" you mean "hentai" then you are correct, most of the lesbian relationships are okazu, but I could certainly come up with several characters off the top of my head that aren't in any way involved in relationships with men during the context of the series.  I'm sure that many other people could as well.

        It's true that there are very few 100% totally-absolutely- incontravertably *lesbian* characters in anime and manga. Plausible deniability creates a larger audience. :-)

        Cheers, Erica

        http://www.yuricon. org

        Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

        "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

        The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

      • Allison Passino
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
          I hear ya. Hey, I'm bi too; dude, there's a reason it's called *bisexual*! Oh well. Who cares what they say, anyways? As long as you are content, that's the thing. And hey, I'm currently madly in love with a transgender, so there's all kinds a love! Lol.
          From: atheniag <anilesbocon01@ hotmail.com>
          Subject: [Yuricon] 2008 Top Ten Yuri Lists on Okazu
          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
          Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 3:14 PM

          As we say good bye to 2008, here's some thoughts on what I consider
          to be my Top Ten Yuri of the year!

          Top Ten Yuri Anime: http://okazu. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/top-ten- yuri-
          anime-of-2008. html

          Top Ten Yuri Manga: http://okazu. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/top-ten- yuri-
          manga-of-2008. html

          Top Ten Overall: http://okazu. blogspot. com/2008/ 12/top-ten- yuri-of-
          2008.html

          Enjoy - and a very happy 2009 to all of you!

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jaymie C <smfan879@...> wrote:

            > Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods;
            they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably
            choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

            That was indeed true in 1994. There were no lesbian relationships
            that survived "happily ever after." They either died or at least one
            went off to be married. (Or, in the Mist magazine variant, they both
            married a gay couple and the four of them lived happily ever after.)

            That was, in a nutchell, why Rica Takashima began to draw "Rica 'tte
            Kanji!?" and why I began to write "Shoujoai ni Bouken." we both
            wanted the "happily ever after" option. :-)

            Thankfully not all anime and manga lesbians are forced to live
            unhappily ever after anymore. Your friends should consider looking
            up ALC Publishing's and Seven Seas' manga lines. In which dying
            and/or getting married aren't options. :-)

            ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl.
            http://www.anilesbocon.org/shop/alcp.html

            http://www.yuricon org
          • Allison Passino
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
              Ah. It's all good.
              > Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods;
              they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably
              choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

              That was indeed true in 1994. There were no lesbian relationships
              that survived "happily ever after." They either died or at least one
              went off to be married. (Or, in the Mist magazine variant, they both
              married a gay couple and the four of them lived happily ever after.)

              That was, in a nutchell, why Rica Takashima began to draw "Rica 'tte
              Kanji!?" and why I began to write "Shoujoai ni Bouken." we both
              wanted the "happily ever after" option. :-)

              Thankfully not all anime and manga lesbians are forced to live
              unhappily ever after anymore. Your friends should consider looking
              up ALC Publishing's and Seven Seas' manga lines. In which dying
              and/or getting married aren't options. :-)

              ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl.
              http://www.anilesbo con.org/shop/ alcp.html

              http://www.yuricon. org

            • Rinu CZ
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                Hi,

                Well, I am just glad Mnemosyne didn't beat Marimite or HxB in Erica's list, lol.

                About yuri, I don't know who says it but I don't have an issue with
                lesbian or bi characters. If I think about it deeper, Mnemosyne
                actually have many lesbians and one maybe bicurious character.
                Lesbians got beaten like others (no surprise here) or are exposed to
                playing lesbian fun for reasons which yuri fans usually dislike -
                playing in the front of man, playing in exchange for something, and
                Mnemosyne's special gift, playing with lot of same-sex people. There
                was *maybe* one scene where it was kind of usual and unpaid, Mimi with
                later informant. Just reasons why I like to call Mnemosyne hentai with
                cut-out hentai scenes :p.
                In the case of Rin, actually she indicated couple of times that she
                hasn't had relationships after the certain one. She lives alone,
                without Mimi. She plays with Mimi only in their office and according
                to my opinion, just for fun, not for reason of attraction. She has
                slept with women just for information. Yuri action with her (or with
                any other character) as an eye's candy - yes, definitely, yuri/lesbian
                relationship - no, hardly any.

                Personally and off the topic, I am not against bi characters, I
                actually miss bi characters which are depicted in good and interesting
                way and they aren't just an excuse for evanescent yuri events.
                Luckily, some can be found in manga.

                Anyway, I agree with Erica that there are characters who doesn't have
                male love interest, they just aren't so numerous. The reason is
                obvious - attract larger amount of fans (or it's just a custom).

                Aside from Mnemosyne, I think the last year was good mainly for manga
                and I am grateful for that.

                With kind regards,

                Rinu

                2009/1/2 Jaymie C <smfan879@...>:
                > All i can say is whoo-hoo, Mnemosyne's on the lists! It pissed me off to no
                > end to hear things like "You can't have Yuri with a Bi Girl." Especially
                > since my partner is bi and we're in a lesbian relationship. geez.

              • Allison Passino
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Damn, but I wish I could read manga! Oh well. Such is life. Lol.