Re: Everything old is...forgotten? What was your gateway anime?

  • pachy_boy
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009

      > So, all you veterans - to educate all the kids here, by which I mean,
      > those who think "Kannazuki no Miko" is a classic of Yuri - let's hear
      > what your gateway anime were and why someone should watch it *now?*

      My Yuri gateway was Battle Athletes Victory, as I've written before. It
      may be old-school (and by 'old-school' it's from the 1990's), but it's
      funny, weird, imaginative and entertaining(and since it's Geneon and
      FUnimation will likely never rescue it, people should start collecting
      the 8 volumes wherever they can).

      But before that, my gateway to Anime in general was the Tenchi Muyo
      OVA. This series and its spin-offs were also funny, weird, imaginative
      and entertaining in its own way, just without any Yuri. I hadn't seen
      anything like it at the time, and to this day it remains a classic
      favorite. If anything, people of today could watch it as an example of
      a harem series before 'harem' even became an official genre, and how
      it's probably even better than most harem shows of today; I hardly ever
      watch harem series anymore. I've read forums of how some people
      had 'outgrown' this series, and it's been a really long time before I
      finally decided to revisit it. I sat down, watched the first few
      episodes of the 'Tenchi Universe' TV series, and was then reminded why
      I enjoyed it and how I got into Anime. I once thought the dub was
      really cheesy but it turned out to be better than I remembered it,
      partly because I've been hearing worse dubs since then. It's also a
      Geneon title, and there's no news of Funimation saving it as of yet.

      In terms of Anime films, the first I watched was Akira, and granted
      that it was a plotless, pointless, violence-porn film, I would never
      recommend it as a 'first' for Anime newbies. But then I saw Ghost in
      the Shell, and that was a pleasant surprise--Pachy
    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
        Message
        I'd seen anime before, but the one that really counted was "Adolescence of Utena". I didn't understand it, of course, but it set me off on collecting the TV series.

        Ellen

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
          One more time. Shouldn't e-mail in the morning before having coffee.

          My first anime was probably Voltes V. It's an old school "super
          robot" show rather than a "real robot" show like the various Gundam
          series, but it's well worth watching today. Yoshiyuki Tomino actually
          picked up a trick or two by working as a producer on this show that he
          later applied in Zeta Gundam. Like killing off the three
          brother-heroes' mother in battle within the first five episodes (won't
          say exactly how she died).

          It's basically a soap opera with giant robots. The alien prince
          commanding the invasion forces is the son of a disgraced noble. The
          Brothers Gou are searching for their missing father. These two
          elements intertwine later on. The Planet Boazan is ruled by horned
          humanoids while the hornless are the slave caste. The slaves are
          revolting against the ruling class and establish a base on Earth to
          help fight the invasion.

          Another thing about the Boazanians. The ruling class dressed
          suspiciously like 18th century French nobility. Apparently Toei was
          maximizing the art research they did for Rose of Versailles.

          Jessica Zafra once said, "If Marcos hadn't banned Voltes V, the EDSA
          Revolution would never have taken place." The back-story of the
          oppressed underclass overthrowing the ruling oligarchy might've hit
          too close to home for the Marcoses and their cronies; the Marcos
          dictatorship lit the match for the revival of the Communist Party of
          the Philippines in the 1970s. Even after democracy was restored 1986,
          the last five episodes were never dubbed (until the late nineties),
          leaving us proto-otaku as "a generation without closure" (Zafra).

          It's safe to say that Voltes V was the gateway anime of the Martial
          Law Babies. The theme song is practically our second national anthem,
          like the Space Battleship Yamato theme song in Japan, but without the
          right-wing overtones/co-option.
        • Rinu CZ
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
            Hi,

            Wow, gateway anime? My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku:
            Micro Patrol, but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I
            watched it as a kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I
            would recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
            hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol. Everybody
            around me casts it mind back with touched feelings.

            Then, in my pubescence, came Mononoke Hime on friend's VHS where I was
            already aware of its origin but still wasn't attached enough to get
            more. In these days I was a real bookworm, so maybe some piece of
            cinematography just wasn't the right argument for finding more. Yet it
            is something what I consider to be my gateway anime. Why to watch it?
            No, I won't brag about its director, I am not all over Hayao Miyazaki
            (Yeah, stone me for my barbarism.). What makes it worth is poetics
            within battles and an awesome story about superior nature which was
            beaten by brutal force of people. You don't want me to mention
            obvious, good characters and soundtrack ^^.

            After this followed a longer pause which was disconnected by... I
            truly don't know, lol. I bet it was something common, bad, or yaoi
            (nothing against). In the case of yuri, I am clueless.

            Gateway into DVD collection, huh? One moment please, Amazon will sure
            know. Wow, I am suprised myself. Actually, it was Utena Collection.
            Why? Come on, it has everything. I am quite hardcore Utenist, so doing
            listing of whys would be little risky ^^. It's an emotional roller
            coaster with a wide space for your own imagination and interpretation,
            it is surreal (how many really surreal series do you have a chance to
            watch?), it has a... Okay, time to restrict myself. So why? Because
            it's so unique and there is a reason why it is adored by yuri fans and
            by anime fans in general.

            And if there will be a gateway to figures, it will be one and only
            Shizuru-kaichou! Ehm, is it gateway-anime-related, isn't it?

            With kind regards,

            Rinu, kicked a little over the traces

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > From: rinucz@...
              > Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 02:21:54 +0100
              > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Everything old is...forgotten? What was your gateway anime?
              >
              > Hi,
              >
              > Wow, gateway anime? My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku:
              > Micro Patrol, but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I
              > watched it as a kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I
              > would recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
              > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol. Everybody
              > around me casts it mind back with touched feelings.

              Okay, now I want to see that. lol

              > No, I won't brag about its director, I am not all over Hayao Miyazaki
              > (Yeah, stone me for my barbarism.).

              I'm with you. I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan. I like the background art, but I find the character design irksome. The ambiguity of good and evil in Mononoke-hime is quite good. I didn't even mind the English dub until the end with "Oh great forest god! We give you back your head!" which just make me giggle.

              > Gateway into DVD collection, huh? One moment please, Amazon will sure
              > know. Wow, I am suprised myself. Actually, it was Utena Collection.
              > Why? Come on, it has everything. I am quite hardcore Utenist, so doing
              > listing of whys would be little risky ^^. It's an emotional roller
              > coaster with a wide space for your own imagination and interpretation,
              > it is surreal (how many really surreal series do you have a chance to
              > watch?),

              Agreed. It's "surreal" in the most artistic sense, not as just a big wank or writing/art laziness. The movie spends a little too much time screaming "look how surreal I am! look!" but the Castle Car on a big screen makes the movie entirely worth watching.

              > And if there will be a gateway to figures, it will be one and only
              > Shizuru-kaichou! Ehm, is it gateway-anime-related, isn't it?

              Oh, most certainly. lol

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                > I'm with you. I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan. I like the background art, but I
                > find the character design irksome. The ambiguity of good and evil in
                > Mononoke-hime is quite good. I didn't even mind the English dub until the
                > end with "Oh great forest god! We give you back your head!" which just make
                > me giggle.

                lol, now *I* want to see that dubbed.
              • Resop
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                  There's a prehistoric monster
                  Who came from outer space
                  Created by the Martians to destroy the human race

                  The FBI is helpless
                  It's twenty stories tall
                  What can we do, who can we call?

                  Call Tobor, the Eight Man ...

                  Craig
                • samantha luquin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                    The first anime I had ever seen that I actually remember was Sailor Moon...or maybe Pokemon.I was a big DBZ fan too...I wanted to be Goku, Sailor Moon, and Indiana Jones all at once back then. I do remember watching Speed Racer and the American Voltron(that's a mash up of two series isn't it?) as well. I kept watching what showed up on Toonami not knowing how else to get anime till middle school when I found about DVDs and manga. Middle school is when I really got hooked. What with Chobits, Cyborg 009, and Marimite how couldn't I be?

                    -Samantha

                  • Allison Passino

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                        I find with Utena, if you don't think about it too hard, it makes more sense. Lol. Oh hey, if you guys haven't seen it already, do check out Empty Movement! It's an awesome Utena site!

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                          Ah, Utena...so awesome! The music, the characters, the seiyuu, the storyline...need I go on?? Lol.

                          http://www.yuricon. org

                          Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu:
                          http://okazu. blogspot. com

                          "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
                          The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

                        • Robert Kelly
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                            My first anime I ever watched was probably the obscure dub of an old
                            70s anime on video, The Brave Frog. However my first gateway anime was
                            something I rented by accident when I was eight years old: Project
                            A-ko. Say what you will about it, but the mix of fabulously animated
                            action sequences and lesbian subtexts blew my little mind, and pretty
                            much sent me down the road into anime fandom.

                            Me being British however, it was difficult trying to get hold of
                            anime, as most of the popular American gateway series never actually
                            made it over here. The Ranma 1/2 anime, for instance, never appeared
                            on British shores until a couple of years ago, when MVM released the
                            movies on DVD. Just the movies, too. At least I got to read the manga,
                            in those American style volumes that were two chapters every month...

                            Looking back on those days, I'm wondering how otaku put up with all of that.

                            --
                            Vyo wei oh
                            Houm va ray
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                              On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:03:09 -0500, Erica Friedman
                              <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                              > > My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku: Micro Patrol,
                              > > but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I watched it as a
                              > > kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I would
                              > > recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                              > > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol.
                              > Okay, now I want to see that. lol

                              I'm sure I remember something vaguely similar from when I was a kid,
                              but I'd thought it was French... Was this the one with the eeeevil
                              streptococci looking like yellow worms with big red noses and the
                              little lipid ducks jumping into furnaces? (And if /that/
                              description doesn't make me sound strange, nothing will. :)
                              .oO("You taught me how to forgive." )
                            • Allison Passino

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  I love Marimite! I wanna marry Satou Sei so bad. Lol.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                    > On a popular forum a few weeks ago, some called "Sailor Moon" an
                                    > obscure series that no one. Legitimately so - it's 14 years old.
                                    > (Really, it is.)

                                    My first anime was Astro Boy (black and white version). Since then, I
                                    caught a few series through the years, notably Robotech in the 80's.
                                    I even gave Sailor Moon a look-see and hated it. Several series on
                                    the Cartoon Network caught my eye, but the one that really sparked my
                                    interest was Case Closed. At little research showed me that the real
                                    name of the series was Meitantei Conan and that it had Hundreds of
                                    episodes and several movies as well as the manga it was initially
                                    based on. This led me to fan-subbing and bit torrent. On a lark, I
                                    watched Maria-sama ga Miteru and loved it.

                                    It has been quite a ride the last few years. I have watched, and am
                                    watching, series running the gamut from thought-provoking works, that
                                    are a good as anything found in other media, to fun, but mind-numbing,
                                    dreck. And, of course, there is the MUSIC!

                                    Based on things written on this list, and at the urging of a friend,
                                    who is further into anime than me, I have watched the sub-titled
                                    version of Sailor Moon. I will write about my impressions later.

                                    Regards,

                                    Bob
                                  • Resop
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                      8Man, called Eighth Man in the US. A truly craptastic anime show from the 60's. It was the first cyborg hero show, predating kamen rider.

                                      The manga was published in Weekly Shounen Magazine 1963-1966.

                                      Craig

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                        My very first Anime was my very first love; Sailor Moon. :3 Le sigh

                                        But since this was the N. American dub, I don't think it qualifies as my first Yuri love. I learned when it was cancled that it had homosexual characters (Zoisite and Kunzite being the first), but even when the show was revitalised from cancelation, all signs of homosexuality were promptly edited out, reworded, and gender reassigned (in Zoisites' case).

                                        I was aware of anime and manga before Sailor Moon, but nothing went so far as to capure my interest quite the way they managed. Otherwise it would have been some Unicorn anime from my early-early childhood (perhaps, The Last Unicorn). I still havn't watched the unedited non-dubbed version of Sailor Moon. It may have been my first love, but I'm afraid of what I've grown out of. :)

                                        L-Chan

                                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: adam@...
                                        Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:37:52 +0000

                                        <alecto_fury@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                                        > > My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku: Micro Patrol,
                                        > > but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I watched it as a
                                        > > kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I would
                                        > > recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                                        > > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol.
                                        > Okay, now I want to see that. lol

                                        I'm sure I remember something vaguely similar from when I was a kid,
                                        but I'd thought it was French... Was this the one with the eeeevil
                                        streptococci looking like yellow worms with big red noses and the
                                        little lipid ducks jumping into furnaces? (And if /that/
                                        description doesn't make me sound strange, nothing will. :)
                                        --
                                        Adam Jones (adam@yggdrasl. demon.co. uk)(http://www.yggdrasl .demon.co. uk/)
                                        .oO("You taught me how to forgive." )

                                        Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how
                                      • sarcastic_weasel
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                          I remember watching bad "Speed Racer" dubs as a rugrat, as well as
                                          "Battle of the Planets," and "Star Blazers," but I never really got
                                          hooked. (But I did find the bird costumes in BOTP fascinating. Why
                                          they dressed as birds was beyond me. I need to watch that in Japanese
                                          sometime.)

                                          What hooked me? Actually, TechTV ran a "Crest of the Stars" marathon
                                          about 7-8 years ago, which I watched while cleaning the house late one
                                          night, and I got hooked on the whole Abh mythology. Yes, I am a nerd,
                                          and I've always had a weak spot for a good space opera. Not so much
                                          with the giant robots, though. My interest was piqued. So I was open
                                          to the idea.

                                          But I think what really hooked me on anime was Cowboy Bebop. (Yeah,
                                          I'm one of those people.) The music was great, and it wasn't like
                                          anything I was expecting--especially the ending. I was pretty fed up
                                          with American TeeVee at the time, so I figured I'd look for New and
                                          Different. It fit the bill, and as soon as I started looking, I found
                                          lots more of New and Different.

                                          From there, well, the whole downward spiral started. :D

                                          (Only later did I discover all the cliches in the "new and different!"
                                          XD But they were new and different cliches!)

                                          Oh yeah, sometime soon after, I started watching this odd little anime
                                          about these girls at this school who all spoke in keigo, and they were
                                          all poking fun at this one girl with pigtails in a catty kind of way,
                                          and before I knew it, dammit, I got sucked in to MSGM. XD
                                        • catchperfect
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                            i don't even know where to start, i had to sit down and give some thought to my  gateway anime. but it'd probably have to be Speed Racer and thought not anime, i was obsessed with UltraMan (where i lived, one of the tv stations would air a block of Japanese programming like Speed Racer, Godzilla and then UltraMan). this was my breakfast before going to school (much to my mom's chagrin).

                                            but in terms of when anime really hit me over the head, it was The Fantastic Adventures of Unico and also Vampire Hunter-D. i know, what an unlikely combo! but i also got into Macross / Robotech - where i discovered i had crushes on both Rick Hunter (Hikaru) and Lisa Hayes (Misa)! then Yuri hit me like a tons of  lovely bricks in Sailor Moon.

                                            i was lucky to live one block away from a comic book store when i was a kid - so i spent a lot of time there. (*-*)
                                            my first manga was the Eclipse-Viz translation of "Mai, the Psychic Girl". i happened upon it when i went in to pick up the latest Spiderman and Mai was sitting on the shelf - for me, it was th first time i had seen a comic book - much less a COVER - of what looked to me like an asian girl - and as a asian teenage girl at that time, it was huge deal for me. i felt somewhat represented (no offense to the many superheroes and heroines i admired and bought comics to read, but i couldn't relate to some degree). anyway, that was the start of reading and collecting manga of all kinds - to this day, i still have my original collection of "Mai, The Psychic Girl" among many other titles.

                                            the cool and funny thing to all this was the comic store owner - me and my younger sister were probably the only two girls who ever really set foot in there and hung out amongst all the boys in our neighborhood (yeah yeah there were adults, but when you're a kid you notice only other kids, i guess). he sometimes would ask me and my sis what we'd like to see in the shop or what we would want to read - and when Mai was released, he said he thought of us. and for that, i am forever thankful. sadly, the store's no longer there, but i will have great memories of that place and a deep appreciation for local shops that care.

                                            thanks for a GREAT question! this brings back some good times...

                                            cheers,
                                            grace

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                              My first anime's would be Sailor moon and pokemon, but the first
                                              serious anime i watched that got me really into the whole thing was
                                              Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. This one introduced me to anime but made
                                              me love it. Aftering seeing it i had to find more so i went to my
                                              local video store and hired the Tenchi Muyo OVA series which became
                                              and still is today my fav anime of all time. ^_^
                                            • Allison Passino
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                                Sounds hilarious. Now I'm gonna have to try and get it. Lol.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
                                                  My first actual experience was holding my dad's hand in Blockbuster
                                                  when I was 5 or 6-ish and spying the cover of Birdy the Mighty. I saw
                                                  the cover, read the back summary, and was interested. Then I saw some
                                                  Adult rating and I got scared away. Hehe.

                                                  I can hardly compete with some of you guys and your early anime
                                                  exposures, but I started with Voltron, which was interesting but sort
                                                  of craptastic, on a very early Toonami-type thing. Then next to
                                                  Voltron was Robotech (Macross) and I watched it and really loved it.
                                                  From there I sort of started getting into the anime world. I saw
                                                  Sailor Moon some time later and loved it, even if it was the super
                                                  crappy English kidified dub. I stuck to the more Shounen side of
                                                  things initially, but initially discovered the anime communities
                                                  online and discovered the wide world of anime.
                                                • Carmen DiProspero
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
                                                    OK, this will show my age, but my first taste of anime came in the late 60's to early 70's with the old UHF Philadelphia stations that aired Astro Boy, Kimba, Gigantor, Marine Boy, 8th Man, Speed Racer, and Prince Planet.

                                                    My first taste of yuri, before I even heard of the term yuri was Project A-ko. I found this out by accident. I was looking for a third film to rent on a Saturday Night from West Coast Video (remember them?), so I picked up the subtitled version of Project A-ko and thought, WOW! This really piqued my curiosity for anime. Project A-ko was the first anime I ever rented.

                                                    As for first anime I ever purchased, it was 2 releases from Suncoast; Plastic Little (one of Satoshi Urushibara's yuri-fests) and Magical Twilight (a Pink Pineapple produced hentai, which, IMHO, isn't too explicit for my tastes). This was back in 1994, when anime on VHS was $24.95-$39.95, mostly subtitled, and ADVision releases had the black tortoise shells for VHS cases.  And the only dubbed anime on the block were Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, the original Bubblegum Crisis, and the Streamline releases (i.e. - Dirty Pair, Crying Freeman). Also, the old US Renditions had a few dubbed releases, one of which was Iczer-One (another yuri release).

                                                    Carmen  =^_^=