Everything old is...forgotten? What was your gateway anime?

    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
      Because the question "Who is Shampoo?" brings shudders of sadness to
      all of those people here for whom "Ranma 1/2" was their gateway into
      the world of anime, I think we need this thread again. :-)

      On a popular forum a few weeks ago, some called "Sailor Moon" an
      obscure series that no one. Legitimately so - it's 14 years old.
      (Really, it is.)

      So, all you veterans - to educate all the kids here, by which I mean,
      those who think "Kannazuki no Miko" is a classic of Yuri - let's hear
      what your gateway anime were and why someone should watch it *now?*

      My first anime ever was Speed Racer. It played right after "Space
      Robots" and was full of crazy. "Those are the fastest camels I've ever
      seen!" I was 6. lol I recommend watching the old dubs now only for the
      crack-headeness of it all. Not good, but hysterically bad.

      My gateway into the giant suckhole of anime/manga collecting was "Star
      Blazers". My friend, my future sister-not-in-law, was a huge Matsumoto
      obsessive. We were in high school, she cheerfully bankrupted herself
      for books and collectailes. Instinctively, I shied away, because I
      could see that this hobby would be an endless sinkhole of time and
      money. I do recommend watching Star Blazers for two reasons - watch a
      dub *completely, utterly, totally* change a character. Poor manly
      Desslar became intriguingly, ambiguously gay Desslock. lol And for a
      taste of the early epic anime that reached these shores. Like
      watching "Casablanca" to understand something about movies, you should
      watch this series to understand something about anime.

      My big epiphany came with "Sailor Moon." It was shiny, gay, and just
      because it was one of those series that had the right cast and the
      right writers and the right audience at the right time, I think it's a
      classic...no, *the* ...classic magical girl anime and should be
      required viewing for every and any Yuri fan. Sure, it's full of crappy
      repetitive footage and utterly silly attacks, and immensely marketable
      goods. What's your point? lol It also has ridiculousy sticky music
      (come on, everyone sing Moonlight Desentsu!) and one of the most
      talented voice casts ever in the history of anime.

      And by god it had Japanese TV's fisrt lesbian couple. Really, I don't
      care if you don't love Eudial and Doorknobder (Doorknobder, RIP) the
      way I do, but you should at least watch the first kiss episode,
      Uranus' orgin episode, Usagi's heart crystal two-parter AND Minako's
      heart crystal episode in the third season. ("Hehehe, heart came out")
      At *least*. Right now.

      Okay, there. I've got that off my chest. You all convinced me once
      before that I should watch "Project A-ko," convince me (and all the
      newbies that have never heard of it) now that I should watch El Hazard
      or Maze. Or tell those who missed it why they should watch Utena, etc,
      etc.

      Your turn.

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
        First anime I ever watched was probably the local English dub of
        Voltes V or Candy Candy. Voltes V has been on TV more (since the
        rights situation for Candy Candy is a little messed up, to say the
        least), though I like the follow-up show Daimos better. About the only
        way to get me to watch a soap opera is if it has a giant robot fight
        in every episode. Also remember Cyborg 009; not sure if it was the
        sixties or seventies version, though it was probably the latter given
        that it aired here in the early eighties.

        Watched a whole bunch of U.S. dubbed anime on TV and Betamax (anyone
        else remember that? Bueller?). Speed Racer, Star Blazers, the 1980
        Astroboy, Saber Rider, Thundersub, Voltron, Macron 1, and of course,
        Robotech. There was actually a local (or maybe Hong Kong) English dub
        of Macross before Robotech aired here, though I mostly remember the
        last words of the theme song: "Super Space Fortress called
        MAHHHH-CROSS!"

        But until the nineties anime was lumped in with all the other
        cartoons, despite all the local dubs leaving the OP/EDs and on-screen
        text in Japanese. First anime I watched as "Japanimation" is
        undoubtedly Project A-ko. Soon after, Tagalog dubs of Sailor Moon and
        Magic Knight Rayearth were on TV, after I'd read about them in
        Animerica.
      • pachy_boy
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009

          > So, all you veterans - to educate all the kids here, by which I mean,
          > those who think "Kannazuki no Miko" is a classic of Yuri - let's hear
          > what your gateway anime were and why someone should watch it *now?*

          My Yuri gateway was Battle Athletes Victory, as I've written before. It
          may be old-school (and by 'old-school' it's from the 1990's), but it's
          funny, weird, imaginative and entertaining(and since it's Geneon and
          FUnimation will likely never rescue it, people should start collecting
          the 8 volumes wherever they can).

          But before that, my gateway to Anime in general was the Tenchi Muyo
          OVA. This series and its spin-offs were also funny, weird, imaginative
          and entertaining in its own way, just without any Yuri. I hadn't seen
          anything like it at the time, and to this day it remains a classic
          favorite. If anything, people of today could watch it as an example of
          a harem series before 'harem' even became an official genre, and how
          it's probably even better than most harem shows of today; I hardly ever
          watch harem series anymore. I've read forums of how some people
          had 'outgrown' this series, and it's been a really long time before I
          finally decided to revisit it. I sat down, watched the first few
          episodes of the 'Tenchi Universe' TV series, and was then reminded why
          I enjoyed it and how I got into Anime. I once thought the dub was
          really cheesy but it turned out to be better than I remembered it,
          partly because I've been hearing worse dubs since then. It's also a
          Geneon title, and there's no news of Funimation saving it as of yet.

          In terms of Anime films, the first I watched was Akira, and granted
          that it was a plotless, pointless, violence-porn film, I would never
          recommend it as a 'first' for Anime newbies. But then I saw Ghost in
          the Shell, and that was a pleasant surprise--Pachy
        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
            Message
            I'd seen anime before, but the one that really counted was "Adolescence of Utena". I didn't understand it, of course, but it set me off on collecting the TV series.

            Ellen

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
              One more time. Shouldn't e-mail in the morning before having coffee.

              My first anime was probably Voltes V. It's an old school "super
              robot" show rather than a "real robot" show like the various Gundam
              series, but it's well worth watching today. Yoshiyuki Tomino actually
              picked up a trick or two by working as a producer on this show that he
              later applied in Zeta Gundam. Like killing off the three
              brother-heroes' mother in battle within the first five episodes (won't
              say exactly how she died).

              It's basically a soap opera with giant robots. The alien prince
              commanding the invasion forces is the son of a disgraced noble. The
              Brothers Gou are searching for their missing father. These two
              elements intertwine later on. The Planet Boazan is ruled by horned
              humanoids while the hornless are the slave caste. The slaves are
              revolting against the ruling class and establish a base on Earth to
              help fight the invasion.

              Another thing about the Boazanians. The ruling class dressed
              suspiciously like 18th century French nobility. Apparently Toei was
              maximizing the art research they did for Rose of Versailles.

              Jessica Zafra once said, "If Marcos hadn't banned Voltes V, the EDSA
              Revolution would never have taken place." The back-story of the
              oppressed underclass overthrowing the ruling oligarchy might've hit
              too close to home for the Marcoses and their cronies; the Marcos
              dictatorship lit the match for the revival of the Communist Party of
              the Philippines in the 1970s. Even after democracy was restored 1986,
              the last five episodes were never dubbed (until the late nineties),
              leaving us proto-otaku as "a generation without closure" (Zafra).

              It's safe to say that Voltes V was the gateway anime of the Martial
              Law Babies. The theme song is practically our second national anthem,
              like the Space Battleship Yamato theme song in Japan, but without the
              right-wing overtones/co-option.
            • Rinu CZ
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                Hi,

                Wow, gateway anime? My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku:
                Micro Patrol, but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I
                watched it as a kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I
                would recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol. Everybody
                around me casts it mind back with touched feelings.

                Then, in my pubescence, came Mononoke Hime on friend's VHS where I was
                already aware of its origin but still wasn't attached enough to get
                more. In these days I was a real bookworm, so maybe some piece of
                cinematography just wasn't the right argument for finding more. Yet it
                is something what I consider to be my gateway anime. Why to watch it?
                No, I won't brag about its director, I am not all over Hayao Miyazaki
                (Yeah, stone me for my barbarism.). What makes it worth is poetics
                within battles and an awesome story about superior nature which was
                beaten by brutal force of people. You don't want me to mention
                obvious, good characters and soundtrack ^^.

                After this followed a longer pause which was disconnected by... I
                truly don't know, lol. I bet it was something common, bad, or yaoi
                (nothing against). In the case of yuri, I am clueless.

                Gateway into DVD collection, huh? One moment please, Amazon will sure
                know. Wow, I am suprised myself. Actually, it was Utena Collection.
                Why? Come on, it has everything. I am quite hardcore Utenist, so doing
                listing of whys would be little risky ^^. It's an emotional roller
                coaster with a wide space for your own imagination and interpretation,
                it is surreal (how many really surreal series do you have a chance to
                watch?), it has a... Okay, time to restrict myself. So why? Because
                it's so unique and there is a reason why it is adored by yuri fans and
                by anime fans in general.

                And if there will be a gateway to figures, it will be one and only
                Shizuru-kaichou! Ehm, is it gateway-anime-related, isn't it?

                With kind regards,

                Rinu, kicked a little over the traces

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: rinucz@...
                  > Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 02:21:54 +0100
                  > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Everything old is...forgotten? What was your gateway anime?
                  >
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Wow, gateway anime? My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku:
                  > Micro Patrol, but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I
                  > watched it as a kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I
                  > would recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                  > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol. Everybody
                  > around me casts it mind back with touched feelings.

                  Okay, now I want to see that. lol

                  > No, I won't brag about its director, I am not all over Hayao Miyazaki
                  > (Yeah, stone me for my barbarism.).

                  I'm with you. I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan. I like the background art, but I find the character design irksome. The ambiguity of good and evil in Mononoke-hime is quite good. I didn't even mind the English dub until the end with "Oh great forest god! We give you back your head!" which just make me giggle.

                  > Gateway into DVD collection, huh? One moment please, Amazon will sure
                  > know. Wow, I am suprised myself. Actually, it was Utena Collection.
                  > Why? Come on, it has everything. I am quite hardcore Utenist, so doing
                  > listing of whys would be little risky ^^. It's an emotional roller
                  > coaster with a wide space for your own imagination and interpretation,
                  > it is surreal (how many really surreal series do you have a chance to
                  > watch?),

                  Agreed. It's "surreal" in the most artistic sense, not as just a big wank or writing/art laziness. The movie spends a little too much time screaming "look how surreal I am! look!" but the Castle Car on a big screen makes the movie entirely worth watching.

                  > And if there will be a gateway to figures, it will be one and only
                  > Shizuru-kaichou! Ehm, is it gateway-anime-related, isn't it?

                  Oh, most certainly. lol

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                    > I'm with you. I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan. I like the background art, but I
                    > find the character design irksome. The ambiguity of good and evil in
                    > Mononoke-hime is quite good. I didn't even mind the English dub until the
                    > end with "Oh great forest god! We give you back your head!" which just make
                    > me giggle.

                    lol, now *I* want to see that dubbed.
                  • Resop
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                      There's a prehistoric monster
                      Who came from outer space
                      Created by the Martians to destroy the human race

                      The FBI is helpless
                      It's twenty stories tall
                      What can we do, who can we call?

                      Call Tobor, the Eight Man ...

                      Craig
                    • samantha luquin
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 2, 2009
                        The first anime I had ever seen that I actually remember was Sailor Moon...or maybe Pokemon.I was a big DBZ fan too...I wanted to be Goku, Sailor Moon, and Indiana Jones all at once back then. I do remember watching Speed Racer and the American Voltron(that's a mash up of two series isn't it?) as well. I kept watching what showed up on Toonami not knowing how else to get anime till middle school when I found about DVDs and manga. Middle school is when I really got hooked. What with Chobits, Cyborg 009, and Marimite how couldn't I be?

                        -Samantha

                      • Allison Passino

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                            I find with Utena, if you don't think about it too hard, it makes more sense. Lol. Oh hey, if you guys haven't seen it already, do check out Empty Movement! It's an awesome Utena site!

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                              Ah, Utena...so awesome! The music, the characters, the seiyuu, the storyline...need I go on?? Lol.

                              http://www.yuricon. org

                              Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu:
                              http://okazu. blogspot. com

                              "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
                              The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

                            • Robert Kelly
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                My first anime I ever watched was probably the obscure dub of an old
                                70s anime on video, The Brave Frog. However my first gateway anime was
                                something I rented by accident when I was eight years old: Project
                                A-ko. Say what you will about it, but the mix of fabulously animated
                                action sequences and lesbian subtexts blew my little mind, and pretty
                                much sent me down the road into anime fandom.

                                Me being British however, it was difficult trying to get hold of
                                anime, as most of the popular American gateway series never actually
                                made it over here. The Ranma 1/2 anime, for instance, never appeared
                                on British shores until a couple of years ago, when MVM released the
                                movies on DVD. Just the movies, too. At least I got to read the manga,
                                in those American style volumes that were two chapters every month...

                                Looking back on those days, I'm wondering how otaku put up with all of that.

                                --
                                Vyo wei oh
                                Houm va ray
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:03:09 -0500, Erica Friedman
                                  <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                                  > > My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku: Micro Patrol,
                                  > > but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I watched it as a
                                  > > kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I would
                                  > > recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                                  > > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol.
                                  > Okay, now I want to see that. lol

                                  I'm sure I remember something vaguely similar from when I was a kid,
                                  but I'd thought it was French... Was this the one with the eeeevil
                                  streptococci looking like yellow worms with big red noses and the
                                  little lipid ducks jumping into furnaces? (And if /that/
                                  description doesn't make me sound strange, nothing will. :)
                                  .oO("You taught me how to forgive." )
                                • Allison Passino

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                      I love Marimite! I wanna marry Satou Sei so bad. Lol.
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                        > On a popular forum a few weeks ago, some called "Sailor Moon" an
                                        > obscure series that no one. Legitimately so - it's 14 years old.
                                        > (Really, it is.)

                                        My first anime was Astro Boy (black and white version). Since then, I
                                        caught a few series through the years, notably Robotech in the 80's.
                                        I even gave Sailor Moon a look-see and hated it. Several series on
                                        the Cartoon Network caught my eye, but the one that really sparked my
                                        interest was Case Closed. At little research showed me that the real
                                        name of the series was Meitantei Conan and that it had Hundreds of
                                        episodes and several movies as well as the manga it was initially
                                        based on. This led me to fan-subbing and bit torrent. On a lark, I
                                        watched Maria-sama ga Miteru and loved it.

                                        It has been quite a ride the last few years. I have watched, and am
                                        watching, series running the gamut from thought-provoking works, that
                                        are a good as anything found in other media, to fun, but mind-numbing,
                                        dreck. And, of course, there is the MUSIC!

                                        Based on things written on this list, and at the urging of a friend,
                                        who is further into anime than me, I have watched the sub-titled
                                        version of Sailor Moon. I will write about my impressions later.

                                        Regards,

                                        Bob
                                      • Resop
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                          8Man, called Eighth Man in the US. A truly craptastic anime show from the 60's. It was the first cyborg hero show, predating kamen rider.

                                          The manga was published in Weekly Shounen Magazine 1963-1966.

                                          Craig

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                            My very first Anime was my very first love; Sailor Moon. :3 Le sigh

                                            But since this was the N. American dub, I don't think it qualifies as my first Yuri love. I learned when it was cancled that it had homosexual characters (Zoisite and Kunzite being the first), but even when the show was revitalised from cancelation, all signs of homosexuality were promptly edited out, reworded, and gender reassigned (in Zoisites' case).

                                            I was aware of anime and manga before Sailor Moon, but nothing went so far as to capure my interest quite the way they managed. Otherwise it would have been some Unicorn anime from my early-early childhood (perhaps, The Last Unicorn). I still havn't watched the unedited non-dubbed version of Sailor Moon. It may have been my first love, but I'm afraid of what I've grown out of. :)

                                            L-Chan

                                            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: adam@...
                                            Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:37:52 +0000

                                            <alecto_fury@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                                            > > My first anime was probably Seimei no Kagaku: Micro Patrol,
                                            > > but I could hardly call it a getaway anime since I watched it as a
                                            > > kid and without some deep preference, lol. Anyway, I would
                                            > > recommend it because it's a cute education where you can see
                                            > > hardworking white blood cells and combative microbes, lol.
                                            > Okay, now I want to see that. lol

                                            I'm sure I remember something vaguely similar from when I was a kid,
                                            but I'd thought it was French... Was this the one with the eeeevil
                                            streptococci looking like yellow worms with big red noses and the
                                            little lipid ducks jumping into furnaces? (And if /that/
                                            description doesn't make me sound strange, nothing will. :)
                                            --
                                            Adam Jones (adam@yggdrasl. demon.co. uk)(http://www.yggdrasl .demon.co. uk/)
                                            .oO("You taught me how to forgive." )

                                            Life on your PC is safer, easier, and more enjoyable with Windows Vista®. See how
                                          • sarcastic_weasel
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                              I remember watching bad "Speed Racer" dubs as a rugrat, as well as
                                              "Battle of the Planets," and "Star Blazers," but I never really got
                                              hooked. (But I did find the bird costumes in BOTP fascinating. Why
                                              they dressed as birds was beyond me. I need to watch that in Japanese
                                              sometime.)

                                              What hooked me? Actually, TechTV ran a "Crest of the Stars" marathon
                                              about 7-8 years ago, which I watched while cleaning the house late one
                                              night, and I got hooked on the whole Abh mythology. Yes, I am a nerd,
                                              and I've always had a weak spot for a good space opera. Not so much
                                              with the giant robots, though. My interest was piqued. So I was open
                                              to the idea.

                                              But I think what really hooked me on anime was Cowboy Bebop. (Yeah,
                                              I'm one of those people.) The music was great, and it wasn't like
                                              anything I was expecting--especially the ending. I was pretty fed up
                                              with American TeeVee at the time, so I figured I'd look for New and
                                              Different. It fit the bill, and as soon as I started looking, I found
                                              lots more of New and Different.

                                              From there, well, the whole downward spiral started. :D

                                              (Only later did I discover all the cliches in the "new and different!"
                                              XD But they were new and different cliches!)

                                              Oh yeah, sometime soon after, I started watching this odd little anime
                                              about these girls at this school who all spoke in keigo, and they were
                                              all poking fun at this one girl with pigtails in a catty kind of way,
                                              and before I knew it, dammit, I got sucked in to MSGM. XD
                                            • catchperfect
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                                i don't even know where to start, i had to sit down and give some thought to my  gateway anime. but it'd probably have to be Speed Racer and thought not anime, i was obsessed with UltraMan (where i lived, one of the tv stations would air a block of Japanese programming like Speed Racer, Godzilla and then UltraMan). this was my breakfast before going to school (much to my mom's chagrin).

                                                but in terms of when anime really hit me over the head, it was The Fantastic Adventures of Unico and also Vampire Hunter-D. i know, what an unlikely combo! but i also got into Macross / Robotech - where i discovered i had crushes on both Rick Hunter (Hikaru) and Lisa Hayes (Misa)! then Yuri hit me like a tons of  lovely bricks in Sailor Moon.

                                                i was lucky to live one block away from a comic book store when i was a kid - so i spent a lot of time there. (*-*)
                                                my first manga was the Eclipse-Viz translation of "Mai, the Psychic Girl". i happened upon it when i went in to pick up the latest Spiderman and Mai was sitting on the shelf - for me, it was th first time i had seen a comic book - much less a COVER - of what looked to me like an asian girl - and as a asian teenage girl at that time, it was huge deal for me. i felt somewhat represented (no offense to the many superheroes and heroines i admired and bought comics to read, but i couldn't relate to some degree). anyway, that was the start of reading and collecting manga of all kinds - to this day, i still have my original collection of "Mai, The Psychic Girl" among many other titles.

                                                the cool and funny thing to all this was the comic store owner - me and my younger sister were probably the only two girls who ever really set foot in there and hung out amongst all the boys in our neighborhood (yeah yeah there were adults, but when you're a kid you notice only other kids, i guess). he sometimes would ask me and my sis what we'd like to see in the shop or what we would want to read - and when Mai was released, he said he thought of us. and for that, i am forever thankful. sadly, the store's no longer there, but i will have great memories of that place and a deep appreciation for local shops that care.

                                                thanks for a GREAT question! this brings back some good times...

                                                cheers,
                                                grace

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                                  My first anime's would be Sailor moon and pokemon, but the first
                                                  serious anime i watched that got me really into the whole thing was
                                                  Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. This one introduced me to anime but made
                                                  me love it. Aftering seeing it i had to find more so i went to my
                                                  local video store and hired the Tenchi Muyo OVA series which became
                                                  and still is today my fav anime of all time. ^_^
                                                • Allison Passino
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 3, 2009
                                                    Sounds hilarious. Now I'm gonna have to try and get it. Lol.

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
                                                      My first actual experience was holding my dad's hand in Blockbuster
                                                      when I was 5 or 6-ish and spying the cover of Birdy the Mighty. I saw
                                                      the cover, read the back summary, and was interested. Then I saw some
                                                      Adult rating and I got scared away. Hehe.

                                                      I can hardly compete with some of you guys and your early anime
                                                      exposures, but I started with Voltron, which was interesting but sort
                                                      of craptastic, on a very early Toonami-type thing. Then next to
                                                      Voltron was Robotech (Macross) and I watched it and really loved it.
                                                      From there I sort of started getting into the anime world. I saw
                                                      Sailor Moon some time later and loved it, even if it was the super
                                                      crappy English kidified dub. I stuck to the more Shounen side of
                                                      things initially, but initially discovered the anime communities
                                                      online and discovered the wide world of anime.
                                                    • Carmen DiProspero
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 4, 2009
                                                        OK, this will show my age, but my first taste of anime came in the late 60's to early 70's with the old UHF Philadelphia stations that aired Astro Boy, Kimba, Gigantor, Marine Boy, 8th Man, Speed Racer, and Prince Planet.

                                                        My first taste of yuri, before I even heard of the term yuri was Project A-ko. I found this out by accident. I was looking for a third film to rent on a Saturday Night from West Coast Video (remember them?), so I picked up the subtitled version of Project A-ko and thought, WOW! This really piqued my curiosity for anime. Project A-ko was the first anime I ever rented.

                                                        As for first anime I ever purchased, it was 2 releases from Suncoast; Plastic Little (one of Satoshi Urushibara's yuri-fests) and Magical Twilight (a Pink Pineapple produced hentai, which, IMHO, isn't too explicit for my tastes). This was back in 1994, when anime on VHS was $24.95-$39.95, mostly subtitled, and ADVision releases had the black tortoise shells for VHS cases.  And the only dubbed anime on the block were Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, the original Bubblegum Crisis, and the Streamline releases (i.e. - Dirty Pair, Crying Freeman). Also, the old US Renditions had a few dubbed releases, one of which was Iczer-One (another yuri release).

                                                        Carmen  =^_^=