Re: [Yuricon] 2008 Top Ten Yuri Lists on Okazu

  • Jaymie C
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      All i can say is whoo-hoo, Mnemosyne's on the lists! It pissed me off to no end to hear things like "You can't have Yuri with a Bi Girl." Especially since my partner is bi and we're in a lesbian relationship. geez.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          From: kyuketshki@...
          Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:02:56 -0800

          > Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

          In general, absolutes are rarely correct. :-)

          Of course there are many series in which the allegedly "Yuri" characters are not shown in a relationship with a man. If by "Yuri" you mean "hentai" then you are correct, most of the lesbian relationships are okazu, but I could certainly come up with several characters off the top of my head that aren't in any way involved in relationships with men during the context of the series.  I'm sure that many other people could as well.

          It's true that there are very few 100% totally-absolutely-incontravertably *lesbian* characters in anime and manga. Plausible deniability creates a larger audience. :-)

          Cheers, Erica

        • Jaymie C
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods; they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

            > Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

            In general, absolutes are rarely correct. :-)

            Of course there are many series in which the allegedly "Yuri" characters are not shown in a relationship with a man. If by "Yuri" you mean "hentai" then you are correct, most of the lesbian relationships are okazu, but I could certainly come up with several characters off the top of my head that aren't in any way involved in relationships with men during the context of the series.  I'm sure that many other people could as well.

            It's true that there are very few 100% totally-absolutely- incontravertably *lesbian* characters in anime and manga. Plausible deniability creates a larger audience. :-)

            Cheers, Erica

            http://www.yuricon. org

            Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

            "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

            The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

          • Allison Passino
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
              I hear ya. Hey, I'm bi too; dude, there's a reason it's called *bisexual*! Oh well. Who cares what they say, anyways? As long as you are content, that's the thing. And hey, I'm currently madly in love with a transgender, so there's all kinds a love! Lol.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jaymie C <smfan879@...> wrote:

                > Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods;
                they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably
                choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

                That was indeed true in 1994. There were no lesbian relationships
                that survived "happily ever after." They either died or at least one
                went off to be married. (Or, in the Mist magazine variant, they both
                married a gay couple and the four of them lived happily ever after.)

                That was, in a nutchell, why Rica Takashima began to draw "Rica 'tte
                Kanji!?" and why I began to write "Shoujoai ni Bouken." we both
                wanted the "happily ever after" option. :-)

                Thankfully not all anime and manga lesbians are forced to live
                unhappily ever after anymore. Your friends should consider looking
                up ALC Publishing's and Seven Seas' manga lines. In which dying
                and/or getting married aren't options. :-)

                ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl.
                http://www.anilesbocon.org/shop/alcp.html

                http://www.yuricon org
              • Allison Passino
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Ah. It's all good.
                  > Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods;
                  they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably
                  choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

                  That was indeed true in 1994. There were no lesbian relationships
                  that survived "happily ever after." They either died or at least one
                  went off to be married. (Or, in the Mist magazine variant, they both
                  married a gay couple and the four of them lived happily ever after.)

                  That was, in a nutchell, why Rica Takashima began to draw "Rica 'tte
                  Kanji!?" and why I began to write "Shoujoai ni Bouken." we both
                  wanted the "happily ever after" option. :-)

                  Thankfully not all anime and manga lesbians are forced to live
                  unhappily ever after anymore. Your friends should consider looking
                  up ALC Publishing's and Seven Seas' manga lines. In which dying
                  and/or getting married aren't options. :-)

                  ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl.
                  http://www.anilesbo con.org/shop/ alcp.html

                  http://www.yuricon. org

                • Rinu CZ
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Hi,

                    Well, I am just glad Mnemosyne didn't beat Marimite or HxB in Erica's list, lol.

                    About yuri, I don't know who says it but I don't have an issue with
                    lesbian or bi characters. If I think about it deeper, Mnemosyne
                    actually have many lesbians and one maybe bicurious character.
                    Lesbians got beaten like others (no surprise here) or are exposed to
                    playing lesbian fun for reasons which yuri fans usually dislike -
                    playing in the front of man, playing in exchange for something, and
                    Mnemosyne's special gift, playing with lot of same-sex people. There
                    was *maybe* one scene where it was kind of usual and unpaid, Mimi with
                    later informant. Just reasons why I like to call Mnemosyne hentai with
                    cut-out hentai scenes :p.
                    In the case of Rin, actually she indicated couple of times that she
                    hasn't had relationships after the certain one. She lives alone,
                    without Mimi. She plays with Mimi only in their office and according
                    to my opinion, just for fun, not for reason of attraction. She has
                    slept with women just for information. Yuri action with her (or with
                    any other character) as an eye's candy - yes, definitely, yuri/lesbian
                    relationship - no, hardly any.

                    Personally and off the topic, I am not against bi characters, I
                    actually miss bi characters which are depicted in good and interesting
                    way and they aren't just an excuse for evanescent yuri events.
                    Luckily, some can be found in manga.

                    Anyway, I agree with Erica that there are characters who doesn't have
                    male love interest, they just aren't so numerous. The reason is
                    obvious - attract larger amount of fans (or it's just a custom).

                    Aside from Mnemosyne, I think the last year was good mainly for manga
                    and I am grateful for that.

                    With kind regards,

                    Rinu

                    2009/1/2 Jaymie C <smfan879@...>:
                    > All i can say is whoo-hoo, Mnemosyne's on the lists! It pissed me off to no
                    > end to hear things like "You can't have Yuri with a Bi Girl." Especially
                    > since my partner is bi and we're in a lesbian relationship. geez.

                  • Allison Passino
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                      Damn, but I wish I could read manga! Oh well. Such is life. Lol.