2008 Top Ten Yuri Lists on Okazu

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
      As we say good bye to 2008, here's some thoughts on what I consider
      to be my Top Ten Yuri of the year!

      Top Ten Yuri Anime: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-ten-yuri-
      anime-of-2008.html

      Top Ten Yuri Manga: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-ten-yuri-
      manga-of-2008.html

      Top Ten Overall: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-ten-yuri-of-
      2008.html

      Enjoy - and a very happy 2009 to all of you!

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • Jaymie C

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            From: kyuketshki@...
            Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:02:56 -0800

            > Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

            In general, absolutes are rarely correct. :-)

            Of course there are many series in which the allegedly "Yuri" characters are not shown in a relationship with a man. If by "Yuri" you mean "hentai" then you are correct, most of the lesbian relationships are okazu, but I could certainly come up with several characters off the top of my head that aren't in any way involved in relationships with men during the context of the series.  I'm sure that many other people could as well.

            It's true that there are very few 100% totally-absolutely-incontravertably *lesbian* characters in anime and manga. Plausible deniability creates a larger audience. :-)

            Cheers, Erica

          • Jaymie C
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods; they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

              > Ummm... not to be rude or anything but most characters in yuri anime (or otherwise implied lesbian relationships in anime) end up being depicted as being bi and/or having a male love interest during the series? There really aren't very many series that I can think of where a female character has relationships with women only.

              In general, absolutes are rarely correct. :-)

              Of course there are many series in which the allegedly "Yuri" characters are not shown in a relationship with a man. If by "Yuri" you mean "hentai" then you are correct, most of the lesbian relationships are okazu, but I could certainly come up with several characters off the top of my head that aren't in any way involved in relationships with men during the context of the series.  I'm sure that many other people could as well.

              It's true that there are very few 100% totally-absolutely- incontravertably *lesbian* characters in anime and manga. Plausible deniability creates a larger audience. :-)

              Cheers, Erica

              http://www.yuricon. org

              Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

              "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

              The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

            • Allison Passino
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                I hear ya. Hey, I'm bi too; dude, there's a reason it's called *bisexual*! Oh well. Who cares what they say, anyways? As long as you are content, that's the thing. And hey, I'm currently madly in love with a transgender, so there's all kinds a love! Lol.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jaymie C <smfan879@...> wrote:

                  > Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods;
                  they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably
                  choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

                  That was indeed true in 1994. There were no lesbian relationships
                  that survived "happily ever after." They either died or at least one
                  went off to be married. (Or, in the Mist magazine variant, they both
                  married a gay couple and the four of them lived happily ever after.)

                  That was, in a nutchell, why Rica Takashima began to draw "Rica 'tte
                  Kanji!?" and why I began to write "Shoujoai ni Bouken." we both
                  wanted the "happily ever after" option. :-)

                  Thankfully not all anime and manga lesbians are forced to live
                  unhappily ever after anymore. Your friends should consider looking
                  up ALC Publishing's and Seven Seas' manga lines. In which dying
                  and/or getting married aren't options. :-)

                  ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl.
                  http://www.anilesbocon.org/shop/alcp.html

                  http://www.yuricon org
                • Allison Passino
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Ah. It's all good.
                    > Guess that response was just from people in my neck of the woods;
                    they argue that, if the one who was with guys does not irrevocably
                    choose a woman in the end, it cannot be yuri.

                    That was indeed true in 1994. There were no lesbian relationships
                    that survived "happily ever after." They either died or at least one
                    went off to be married. (Or, in the Mist magazine variant, they both
                    married a gay couple and the four of them lived happily ever after.)

                    That was, in a nutchell, why Rica Takashima began to draw "Rica 'tte
                    Kanji!?" and why I began to write "Shoujoai ni Bouken." we both
                    wanted the "happily ever after" option. :-)

                    Thankfully not all anime and manga lesbians are forced to live
                    unhappily ever after anymore. Your friends should consider looking
                    up ALC Publishing's and Seven Seas' manga lines. In which dying
                    and/or getting married aren't options. :-)

                    ALC Publishing - Where the girl always gets the girl.
                    http://www.anilesbo con.org/shop/ alcp.html

                    http://www.yuricon. org

                  • Rinu CZ
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Hi,

                      Well, I am just glad Mnemosyne didn't beat Marimite or HxB in Erica's list, lol.

                      About yuri, I don't know who says it but I don't have an issue with
                      lesbian or bi characters. If I think about it deeper, Mnemosyne
                      actually have many lesbians and one maybe bicurious character.
                      Lesbians got beaten like others (no surprise here) or are exposed to
                      playing lesbian fun for reasons which yuri fans usually dislike -
                      playing in the front of man, playing in exchange for something, and
                      Mnemosyne's special gift, playing with lot of same-sex people. There
                      was *maybe* one scene where it was kind of usual and unpaid, Mimi with
                      later informant. Just reasons why I like to call Mnemosyne hentai with
                      cut-out hentai scenes :p.
                      In the case of Rin, actually she indicated couple of times that she
                      hasn't had relationships after the certain one. She lives alone,
                      without Mimi. She plays with Mimi only in their office and according
                      to my opinion, just for fun, not for reason of attraction. She has
                      slept with women just for information. Yuri action with her (or with
                      any other character) as an eye's candy - yes, definitely, yuri/lesbian
                      relationship - no, hardly any.

                      Personally and off the topic, I am not against bi characters, I
                      actually miss bi characters which are depicted in good and interesting
                      way and they aren't just an excuse for evanescent yuri events.
                      Luckily, some can be found in manga.

                      Anyway, I agree with Erica that there are characters who doesn't have
                      male love interest, they just aren't so numerous. The reason is
                      obvious - attract larger amount of fans (or it's just a custom).

                      Aside from Mnemosyne, I think the last year was good mainly for manga
                      and I am grateful for that.

                      With kind regards,

                      Rinu

                      2009/1/2 Jaymie C <smfan879@...>:
                      > All i can say is whoo-hoo, Mnemosyne's on the lists! It pissed me off to no
                      > end to hear things like "You can't have Yuri with a Bi Girl." Especially
                      > since my partner is bi and we're in a lesbian relationship. geez.

                    • Allison Passino
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 5, 2009
                        Damn, but I wish I could read manga! Oh well. Such is life. Lol.