RE: [Yuricon] Re: barnes and noble?

  • Firia L
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2008
      That was actually some pretty spiffy information. :) I'll be holding on to that nugget in future book shopping excursions.

      -L

      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: senbei@...
      Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:32:04 -0500
      Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: barnes and noble?

      I was a manager at Barnes and Noble for about a year so I think I can
      respond to this.

      B&N only keeps the newest manga and that which is highest selling on
      the shelves. Basically, it's a space thing. If something isn't
      selling, there's no point in having it in your stock. Stores get a
      download at least once every few weeks telling them the titles that
      need to be sent back to the publisher because of poor sales. Sales
      staff then pull these titles and ship them back, though oftentimes
      books will be sitting on the return shelves for a week or more before
      that happens. Every store is different: some are graphic novel
      boutique stores where they've found their clientele more receptive to
      buying manga and so they have more of a series, and more variety.

      The reason you won't find the same manga titles as you might at
      Borders is simply distribution. Borders uses different distributors
      to facilitate their books being shipped from the publisher to the
      store. In terms of graphic novels it seems like they use distributors
      which are keener on smaller publishers, whereas Barnes and Noble
      considers manga to be a smaller niche market and focuses their
      distribution on best sellers. I'd say like sixty some percent of all
      books that get shipped directly to Barnes and Noble stores come from
      Random House Inc (ie. Del Rey). It used to be that they would get
      shipments from St. Martin's Press (ie. 7 Seas) but it seems like they
      might scaling those back. Dark Horse IS one of the major publishers
      that get to the shelves quickly because Barnes and Noble uses Diamond
      Distribution, but it's never seemed to be at the same pace that a
      comic book store can get things from them.

      Sorry for the lecture. Probably none of that answers your question,
      but suffice it to say, they carry different books.

      ~Hasekura_Rei

      --
      "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib