Re: Drama CDs

  • pachy_boy
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <poor_mario1@...> wrote:

      > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
      > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
      > don't care as long as I can understand it.

      The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub
      actors, and that's the only one I know. I've never bought the set since
      I'm currently watching it on Adult Swim, so I can't offer an opinion on
      it, other than that I think the series's dub is very decent--Pachy
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
        On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
        > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
        > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
        > trained differently and record differently than English-language
        > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
        > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
        > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
        > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
        > objection.

        I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
        Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
        cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
        record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing. And
        tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
        mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
        pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
        afureco _is_ the industry.

        The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
        sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
        recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-Frazier
        (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
        animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.

        Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the high
        cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
        confirmation for this.

        *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
        Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
        SImoun.)
      • iatheia
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
          wrote:

          > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
          > > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite
          DCDs.
          > > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
          > > trained differently and record differently than English-language
          > > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so
          thriving
          > > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
          > > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in
          one
          > > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
          > > objection.
          >
          > I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
          > Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
          > cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
          > record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing.
          And
          > tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
          > mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
          > pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
          > afureco _is_ the industry.
          >
          > The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
          > sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
          > recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
          Frazier
          > (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
          > animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
          >
          > Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the
          high
          > cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
          > confirmation for this.
          >
          > *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
          > Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
          > SImoun.)

          Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
          translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
          effectiveness of it...
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
            On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
            >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
            >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
            > Frazier
            >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
            >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
            >
            > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
            > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
            > effectiveness of it...

            Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
            from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
            here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
            over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
            gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
            days.

            Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
            really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
            way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
            benefit.