Re: Drama CDs

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:

      > It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language
      versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would
      love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a
      London-based production office. Ah well...

      The difference is that Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc are written
      in the English language originally - so of course they sound fine
      adapted into radio dramas.

      I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
      Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
      trained differently and record differently than English-language
      voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
      here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
      they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
      room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
      objection.

      I prefer subtitles over dubs for everything, whether it's an anime or
      a European movie. I want to hear what the actual actors sounded like,
      not how some second-rate actor doing voice-over in between "real" jobs
      interprets the role. I know you're all too young to remember
      Starblazers, but *I'll* never forget Desslar's menacing bass turned
      into Desslok's mincing tenor. It was traumatizing. lol

    • pachy_boy
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <poor_mario1@...> wrote:

        > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
        > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
        > don't care as long as I can understand it.

        The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub
        actors, and that's the only one I know. I've never bought the set since
        I'm currently watching it on Adult Swim, so I can't offer an opinion on
        it, other than that I think the series's dub is very decent--Pachy
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
          On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
          > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
          > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
          > trained differently and record differently than English-language
          > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
          > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
          > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
          > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
          > objection.

          I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
          Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
          cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
          record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing. And
          tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
          mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
          pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
          afureco _is_ the industry.

          The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
          sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
          recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-Frazier
          (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
          animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.

          Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the high
          cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
          confirmation for this.

          *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
          Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
          SImoun.)
        • iatheia
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
            wrote:

            > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
            > > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite
            DCDs.
            > > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
            > > trained differently and record differently than English-language
            > > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so
            thriving
            > > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
            > > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in
            one
            > > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
            > > objection.
            >
            > I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
            > Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
            > cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
            > record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing.
            And
            > tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
            > mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
            > pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
            > afureco _is_ the industry.
            >
            > The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
            > sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
            > recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
            Frazier
            > (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
            > animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
            >
            > Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the
            high
            > cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
            > confirmation for this.
            >
            > *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
            > Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
            > SImoun.)

            Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
            translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
            effectiveness of it...
          • Johann Chua
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
              On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
              >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
              >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
              > Frazier
              >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
              >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
              >
              > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
              > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
              > effectiveness of it...

              Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
              from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
              here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
              over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
              gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
              days.

              Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
              really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
              way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
              benefit.