RE: [Yuricon] Drama CDs

  • Haruchin
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
      Re: Johann's comment below:

      It does seem that there's more of a market for audio drama thanks to the BBC, and the quality is pretty good too (although I may be slightly biased, having written one for the aforementioned Doctor Who series). Actually I was considering having a conversation with the guys from Big Finish (who do the DW audios) about the possibility of producing manga/anime connected audio dramas. The problem is, as Johann says, that without the seiyuu connection, the reasons for purchasing an anime-related audio drama decrease significantly. There's simply no ready-made audience as there is for Doctor Who, or even Radio 4 drama. Hardcore fans will want the Japanese originals, and less hardcore fans are unlikely to be interested in something as niche as audio CDs. I have a feeling I would be laughed out of the office...

      It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a London-based production office. Ah well...

      Haru

      > Audio dramas are alive and well in the UK thanks to the BBC, though. Doctor Who still has new ones. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was originally a radio drama. I highly recommend the National Public Radio dramatizations of the Star Wars trilogy, which Jessica Zafra serialized on her Twisted on a Sunday radio show; each multi-CD set is more expensive than the DVD of the movie it adapts, though, which is why I'm sticking to the script books.

      .

      Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile. Click Here!
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:

        > It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language
        versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would
        love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a
        London-based production office. Ah well...

        The difference is that Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc are written
        in the English language originally - so of course they sound fine
        adapted into radio dramas.

        I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
        Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
        trained differently and record differently than English-language
        voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
        here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
        they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
        room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
        objection.

        I prefer subtitles over dubs for everything, whether it's an anime or
        a European movie. I want to hear what the actual actors sounded like,
        not how some second-rate actor doing voice-over in between "real" jobs
        interprets the role. I know you're all too young to remember
        Starblazers, but *I'll* never forget Desslar's menacing bass turned
        into Desslok's mincing tenor. It was traumatizing. lol

      • pachy_boy
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <poor_mario1@...> wrote:

          > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
          > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
          > don't care as long as I can understand it.

          The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub
          actors, and that's the only one I know. I've never bought the set since
          I'm currently watching it on Adult Swim, so I can't offer an opinion on
          it, other than that I think the series's dub is very decent--Pachy
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
            On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
            > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
            > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
            > trained differently and record differently than English-language
            > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
            > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
            > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
            > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
            > objection.

            I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
            Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
            cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
            record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing. And
            tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
            mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
            pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
            afureco _is_ the industry.

            The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
            sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
            recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-Frazier
            (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
            animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.

            Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the high
            cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
            confirmation for this.

            *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
            Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
            SImoun.)
          • iatheia
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
              wrote:

              > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
              > > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite
              DCDs.
              > > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
              > > trained differently and record differently than English-language
              > > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so
              thriving
              > > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
              > > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in
              one
              > > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
              > > objection.
              >
              > I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
              > Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
              > cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
              > record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing.
              And
              > tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
              > mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
              > pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
              > afureco _is_ the industry.
              >
              > The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
              > sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
              > recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
              Frazier
              > (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
              > animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
              >
              > Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the
              high
              > cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
              > confirmation for this.
              >
              > *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
              > Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
              > SImoun.)

              Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
              translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
              effectiveness of it...
            • Johann Chua
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                > Frazier
                >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                >
                > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                > effectiveness of it...

                Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
                from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
                here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
                over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
                gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
                days.

                Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
                really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
                way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
                benefit.