Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Yuricon] Re: Drama CDs

Expand Messages
  • Johann Chua
    ... Well, I know a professional anime translator who cautioned (back in the subtitled VHS days) that each line had a 40 character limit (to be readable on
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:34 PM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
      >> Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even
      >
      > Of course, another argument is that subbed anime is usually much
      > better in quality than the dubbed version. Because when you just sub,
      > you don't have to worry about what voice actors and their accent and
      > incorrect intonations, and usually subtitles read exactly what the
      > character actually is saying, so you don't have to worry about
      > rewritten parts of the plot...

      Well, I know a professional anime translator who cautioned (back in
      the subtitled VHS days) that each line had a 40 character limit (to be
      readable on small TVs, I guess), so subtitles may leave something out.
      Then we have the honorifics/no-honorifics kettle of fish, not to
      mention how to handle stuff like Osaka-ben.

      "Subtitler's nightmare" would be a scene from the SD Gundam anime (not
      the cel-shaded CGI series) where we have a 4-way split screen and at
      least half a dozen characters talking at the same time. Dunno if
      anyone actually tried.

      Reading about old-school videotape fansubs (ADV producer's commentary
      on Devil Hunter Yohko; Carl Horn in Japan Edge), I found that they
      tended to use Amigas equipped with a genlock. The Amiga was really
      great with handling analog video, shame that it went away due to
      corporate incompetence.
    • Haruchin
      Re: Johann s comment below: It does seem that there s more of a market for audio drama thanks to the BBC, and the quality is pretty good too (although I may be
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Re: Johann's comment below:
         
        It does seem that there's more of a market for audio drama thanks to the BBC, and the quality is pretty good too (although I may be slightly biased, having written one for the aforementioned Doctor Who series). Actually I was considering having a conversation with the guys from Big Finish (who do the DW audios) about the possibility of producing manga/anime connected audio dramas. The problem is, as Johann says, that without the seiyuu connection, the reasons for purchasing an anime-related audio drama decrease significantly. There's simply no ready-made audience as there is for Doctor Who, or even Radio 4 drama. Hardcore fans will want the Japanese originals, and less hardcore fans are unlikely to be interested in something as niche as audio CDs. I have a feeling I would be laughed out of the office...
         
        It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a London-based production office. Ah well...
         
        Haru




        > Audio dramas are alive and well in the UK thanks to the BBC, though. Doctor Who still has new ones. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was originally a radio drama. I highly recommend the National Public Radio dramatizations of the Star Wars trilogy, which Jessica Zafra serialized on her Twisted on a Sunday radio show; each multi-CD set is more expensive than the DVD of the movie it adapts, though, which is why I'm sticking to the script books.

         
        .



        Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile. Click Here!
      • atheniag
        ... versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a London-based
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:
          >

          > It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language
          versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would
          love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a
          London-based production office. Ah well...
          >

          The difference is that Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc are written
          in the English language originally - so of course they sound fine
          adapted into radio dramas.


          I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
          Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
          trained differently and record differently than English-language
          voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
          here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
          they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
          room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
          objection.

          I prefer subtitles over dubs for everything, whether it's an anime or
          a European movie. I want to hear what the actual actors sounded like,
          not how some second-rate actor doing voice-over in between "real" jobs
          interprets the role. I know you're all too young to remember
          Starblazers, but *I'll* never forget Desslar's menacing bass turned
          into Desslok's mincing tenor. It was traumatizing. lol

          Cheers,

          Erica
        • pachy_boy
          ... The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub actors, and that s the only one I know. I ve never bought the set since I m
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <poor_mario1@...> wrote:
            >
            > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
            > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
            > don't care as long as I can understand it.

            The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub
            actors, and that's the only one I know. I've never bought the set since
            I'm currently watching it on Adult Swim, so I can't offer an opinion on
            it, other than that I think the series's dub is very decent--Pachy
          • Johann Chua
            ... I ve noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American cartoons (like
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
              > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
              > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
              > trained differently and record differently than English-language
              > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
              > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
              > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
              > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
              > objection.

              I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
              Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
              cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
              record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing. And
              tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
              mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
              pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
              afureco _is_ the industry.

              The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
              sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
              recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-Frazier
              (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
              animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.

              Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the high
              cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
              confirmation for this.

              *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
              Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
              SImoun.)
            • iatheia
              ... DCDs. ... thriving ... one ... And ... Frazier ... high ... Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was translated? Well, you can
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                wrote:
                >
                > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                > > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite
                DCDs.
                > > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                > > trained differently and record differently than English-language
                > > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so
                thriving
                > > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                > > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in
                one
                > > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                > > objection.
                >
                > I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
                > Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
                > cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
                > record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing.
                And
                > tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
                > mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
                > pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
                > afureco _is_ the industry.
                >
                > The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                > sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                > recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                Frazier
                > (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                > animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                >
                > Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the
                high
                > cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
                > confirmation for this.
                >
                > *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
                > Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
                > SImoun.)

                Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                effectiveness of it...
              • Johann Chua
                ... Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered from the La Traidora Effect of really bad lip sync. Voice actors here mostly do
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                  >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                  >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                  > Frazier
                  >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                  >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                  >
                  > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                  > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                  > effectiveness of it...

                  Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
                  from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
                  here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
                  over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
                  gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
                  days.

                  Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
                  really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
                  way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
                  benefit.
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.