Drama CDs

  • Allan
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
      I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
      there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
      don't care as long as I can understand it. Another question is why is
      all yuri anime on the shelf always subbed?
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
        On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Allan <poor_mario1@...> wrote:
        > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
        > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really

        English-language drama CDS for anime probably won't do well since the
        main selling point is the Japanese voice cast. I know some North
        American voice actors have devoted fans, but said fandom hasn't been
        monetized to the extent it has in Japan. I know Cree Summer released
        an album (produced by Lenny Kravitz, no less) and Cam Clarke did a
        showtunes CD called In and Out, which is how I learned he was gay; one
        of his aliases, Jimmy Flinders, is a character from a musical he
        performed in.

        Audio dramas are alive and well in the UK thanks to the BBC, though.
        Doctor Who still has new ones. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was
        originally a radio drama. I highly recommend the National Public Radio
        dramatizations of the Star Wars trilogy, which Jessica Zafra
        serialized on her Twisted on a Sunday radio show; each multi-CD set is
        more expensive than the DVD of the movie it adapts, though, which is
        why I'm sticking to the script books.

        > don't care as long as I can understand it. Another question is why is
        > all yuri anime on the shelf always subbed?

        Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even bad
        dubs cost much more than a good subtitle job. Upside is that
        subtitled-only releases are cheaper, which is an improvement over the
        old practice of subtitled VHS being _more_ expensive than the
        English-dubbed version; logic being that the dub would sell so much
        better, that the additional costs would easily be recovered.
      • iatheia
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
          > Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even
          bad
          > dubs cost much more than a good subtitle job. Upside is that
          > subtitled-only releases are cheaper, which is an improvement over
          the
          > old practice of subtitled VHS being _more_ expensive than the
          > English-dubbed version; logic being that the dub would sell so much
          > better, that the additional costs would easily be recovered.

          Of course, another argument is that subbed anime is usually much
          better in quality than the dubbed version. Because when you just sub,
          you don't have to worry about what voice actors and their accent and
          incorrect intonations, and usually subtitles read exactly what the
          character actually is saying, so you don't have to worry about
          rewritten parts of the plot...
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
            On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:34 PM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
            >> Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even
            >
            > Of course, another argument is that subbed anime is usually much
            > better in quality than the dubbed version. Because when you just sub,
            > you don't have to worry about what voice actors and their accent and
            > incorrect intonations, and usually subtitles read exactly what the
            > character actually is saying, so you don't have to worry about
            > rewritten parts of the plot...

            Well, I know a professional anime translator who cautioned (back in
            the subtitled VHS days) that each line had a 40 character limit (to be
            readable on small TVs, I guess), so subtitles may leave something out.
            Then we have the honorifics/no-honorifics kettle of fish, not to
            mention how to handle stuff like Osaka-ben.

            "Subtitler's nightmare" would be a scene from the SD Gundam anime (not
            the cel-shaded CGI series) where we have a 4-way split screen and at
            least half a dozen characters talking at the same time. Dunno if
            anyone actually tried.

            Reading about old-school videotape fansubs (ADV producer's commentary
            on Devil Hunter Yohko; Carl Horn in Japan Edge), I found that they
            tended to use Amigas equipped with a genlock. The Amiga was really
            great with handling analog video, shame that it went away due to
            corporate incompetence.
          • Haruchin
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
              Re: Johann's comment below:

              It does seem that there's more of a market for audio drama thanks to the BBC, and the quality is pretty good too (although I may be slightly biased, having written one for the aforementioned Doctor Who series). Actually I was considering having a conversation with the guys from Big Finish (who do the DW audios) about the possibility of producing manga/anime connected audio dramas. The problem is, as Johann says, that without the seiyuu connection, the reasons for purchasing an anime-related audio drama decrease significantly. There's simply no ready-made audience as there is for Doctor Who, or even Radio 4 drama. Hardcore fans will want the Japanese originals, and less hardcore fans are unlikely to be interested in something as niche as audio CDs. I have a feeling I would be laughed out of the office...

              It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a London-based production office. Ah well...

              Haru

              > Audio dramas are alive and well in the UK thanks to the BBC, though. Doctor Who still has new ones. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was originally a radio drama. I highly recommend the National Public Radio dramatizations of the Star Wars trilogy, which Jessica Zafra serialized on her Twisted on a Sunday radio show; each multi-CD set is more expensive than the DVD of the movie it adapts, though, which is why I'm sticking to the script books.

              .

              Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile. Click Here!
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:

                > It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language
                versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would
                love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a
                London-based production office. Ah well...

                The difference is that Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc are written
                in the English language originally - so of course they sound fine
                adapted into radio dramas.

                I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
                Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                trained differently and record differently than English-language
                voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
                here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
                room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                objection.

                I prefer subtitles over dubs for everything, whether it's an anime or
                a European movie. I want to hear what the actual actors sounded like,
                not how some second-rate actor doing voice-over in between "real" jobs
                interprets the role. I know you're all too young to remember
                Starblazers, but *I'll* never forget Desslar's menacing bass turned
                into Desslok's mincing tenor. It was traumatizing. lol

              • pachy_boy
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <poor_mario1@...> wrote:

                  > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
                  > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
                  > don't care as long as I can understand it.

                  The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub
                  actors, and that's the only one I know. I've never bought the set since
                  I'm currently watching it on Adult Swim, so I can't offer an opinion on
                  it, other than that I think the series's dub is very decent--Pachy
                • Johann Chua
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                    On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                    > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
                    > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                    > trained differently and record differently than English-language
                    > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
                    > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                    > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
                    > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                    > objection.

                    I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
                    Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
                    cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
                    record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing. And
                    tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
                    mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
                    pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
                    afureco _is_ the industry.

                    The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                    sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                    recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-Frazier
                    (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                    animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.

                    Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the high
                    cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
                    confirmation for this.

                    *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
                    Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
                    SImoun.)
                  • iatheia
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                      > > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite
                      DCDs.
                      > > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                      > > trained differently and record differently than English-language
                      > > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so
                      thriving
                      > > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                      > > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in
                      one
                      > > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                      > > objection.
                      >
                      > I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
                      > Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
                      > cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
                      > record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing.
                      And
                      > tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
                      > mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
                      > pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
                      > afureco _is_ the industry.
                      >
                      > The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                      > sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                      > recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                      Frazier
                      > (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                      > animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                      >
                      > Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the
                      high
                      > cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
                      > confirmation for this.
                      >
                      > *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
                      > Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
                      > SImoun.)

                      Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                      translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                      effectiveness of it...
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                        On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                        >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                        >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                        > Frazier
                        >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                        >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                        >
                        > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                        > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                        > effectiveness of it...

                        Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
                        from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
                        here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
                        over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
                        gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
                        days.

                        Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
                        really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
                        way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
                        benefit.