The Short List - Yuri Media Today

  • chickyum20
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
      "Love Undetectable" by Andrew Sullivan - 3 essays on friendship,
      whether homosexuality is normal, and the end of the HIV/AIDS plague
      in the gay community. I found his argument in the second "Virtually
      Abnormal" very interesting. I borrowed this from Katie

      "Virtually Normal" by Andrew Sullivan - an earlier book with four
      essays on the different socio-political viewpoints on homosexuality.
      I just started this one, and I found it at the library.

      "Keeping You a Secret" by Julie Anne Peters - A very realistic
      romantic drama on a straight senior girl who falls for an out-and-
      proud lesbian while trying to survive club activities and college
      applications. Her "conversion" leads to many of the hardships of
      coming out, including being kicked out of the house by her mother,
      but has a happy ending. A very good book all-together. I borrowed
      this from a straight friend.

      "Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit" by Jeanette Winterson - A whimsical
      story of an English girl growing up in a very religous family and
      finally coming out. Has a bittersweet ending, but is very deep.

      "Rubyfruit Jungle" by Rita Mae Johnson - An older book about a sassy
      yet intelligent girl learning about her sexuality in the deep south.
      When her sexuality causes her to be kicked out of a prestigous
      college, she comes to New York City to find love, a job and a film
      career. Includes steamy romances and good dialogue but has a gloomy
      ending.

      I would also recommend "Kannazuki no Miko" the best yuri (girl X
      girl) anime I have seen to date. The story is epic, with romance,
      intrigue, drama, horror, sorrow and giant robots. Two priestesses
      reincarnate to save the world but can they save their relationship?

      Enjoy :)

      - Ryu
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008
        On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM, chickyum20 <chickyum20@...> wrote:
        > "Rubyfruit Jungle" by Rita Mae Johnson - An older book about a sassy
        > yet intelligent girl learning about her sexuality in the deep south.
        > When her sexuality causes her to be kicked out of a prestigous
        > college, she comes to New York City to find love, a job and a film
        > career. Includes steamy romances and good dialogue but has a gloomy
        > ending.

        You mean Rita Mae Brown, right?

        Much prefer Noretta Koertge's _Who Was That Masked Woman?_ "Jesus
        wants me to save you through the power of lesbian love!" is a neatly
        twisted reason one character has for being attracted to the heroine.
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
          I've read the book and saw the three-part mini-series of "Oranges Are
          Not the Only Fruit" and I liked both of them, though I think the book
          was better.