Drama CDs

  • Haruchin
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
      Hi all,

      So I have a request. I've discovered that one of the better ways of improving my Japanese skills involves listening to Drama CDs while I'm doing one of my more mindless tasks at work. I've greatly enjoyed all the Hayate x Blade drama CDs, and am now looking around for some more material to occupy me while I'm counting cites per journal article or whatever.

      Does anyone have any Yuri Drama CDs that you would recommend? Since I'd be buying them, if they were still available to purchase, that would be ideal.

      Cheers!

      Haru

      Win £1000 John Lewis shopping sprees with BigSnapSearch.com Search now
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
        On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have any Yuri Drama CDs that you would recommend? Since I'd be
        > buying them, if they were still available to purchase, that would be ideal.

        There's an ebay.com item for the first printing B5 edition of
        Chirality Vol. 2 with drama CD. Almost $60 before shipping, though.
        Volume one without the drama CD (same seller) is only about $25.

        I think there's some Marimite drama CDs. And one for Haru Natsu Aki
        Fuyu, though it may be OOP, judging by jpqueen's price for it when
        they had it in stock.

        I've got four drama tracks on the Yamamoto Yohko Action-1 soundtrack.
        There's a bit of yuri fodder involving a Madoka fangirl.... (Still
        need to get Action-2 and Action-3 to get all the music for the TV
        series and all the drama tracks.)
      • Jo Wagner
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
          I have been enjoying listening to the Marimite ones. Generally
          speaking the "story" ends up amounting to a little less than half the
          CD (with the rest taken up with inane seiyuu rapid fire conversation),
          but it's still quite fun. Given the nature of CDs though, if you want
          to use them to help your Japanese studies, you might want to convert
          the audio file to MP3 so you can pause and drag the scroll bar back
          when you need to. In case you didn't know, several are still
          available for download at:
          http://www.animate.tv/digital/web_radio/detail_068.html. Otherwise,
          the published ones are available on
          http://www.yuricon.org/shop/cds.html.

          ~Jo

          --
          "How much sand will the hand hold?" ~Jessica, mother of Muad'Dib
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008

            From: haruchin@...
            Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:17:37 +0000
            Subject: [Yuricon] Drama CDs

            Hi all,

            > Does anyone have any Yuri Drama CDs that you would recommend? Since I'd be buying them, if they were still available to purchase, that would be ideal.

            There's an entire page of Yuri Drama CDs available on on the Yuricon Shop! There's three sections - Maria-sama ga Miteru, Mai HiME/Otome and Other. between them you're looking at a lot of Yuri drama CDs. :-) http://www.yuricon.org/shop/cds.html

            Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
          • Haruchin
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
              Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

              Thanks too for the link Erica. You're right - there's a lot of CDs there, which is why I was wondering which ones might be particularly recommended by the good folk of the Yuricon list. It's hard to know where to start with such a large selection!

              Would you be able to name a few favourites, looking back on all the CDs you've reviewed? Or is that one of those unanswerable "depends" kind of questions? ;)

              Cheers,
              Haru

              To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              From: alecto_fury@...
              Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:31:01 -0500
              Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Drama CDs

              From: haruchin@hotmail. co.uk
              Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:17:37 +0000

              Hi all,

              > Does anyone have any Yuri Drama CDs that you would recommend? Since I'd be buying them, if they were still available to purchase, that would be ideal.

              There's an entire page of Yuri Drama CDs available on on the Yuricon Shop! There's three sections - Maria-sama ga Miteru, Mai HiME/Otome and Other. between them you're looking at a lot of Yuri drama CDs. :-) http://www.yuricon. org/shop/ cds.html

              http://www.yuricon. org

              Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.

              Get the best wallpapers on the Web - FREE. Click here!
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
                >
                > Thanks too for the link Erica. You're right - there's a lot of CDs
                there, which is why I was wondering which ones might be particularly
                recommended by the good folk of the Yuricon list. It's hard to know
                where to start with such a large selection!
                > Would you be able to name a few favourites, looking back on all
                the CDs you've reviewed? Or is that one of those
                unanswerable "depends" kind of questions? ;)

                Obviously, it's a "depends". What I like and what you like are going
                to be different, aren't they? ;-)

                For instance, you might love the low humor of the Mai Hime/Otome and
                SP Drama CDs, where I found them to be brain cell-killing. lol

                And I thought the Simoun CD was funny - but if you liked Simoun as a
                serious drama, the DCD will probably annoy you.

                My favorites, for what it's worth (in no particular order):

                Maria-sama ga Miteru: Ibara no Mori
                Great voice acting, bad foley, awesome story.

                Kotonoha no Miko to Kotodama no Majyo to: Madrigal Halloween
                Great voice acting, ridiculously cute story, Tsumugi and Letty kiss
                and Letty gets awesome heroic bgm when she saves the day.

                Hatsukoi Shimai 2: Tenshi no Present
                Paku Romi as Touko-sensei. 'nuff said.

                Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                http://okazu.blogspot.com
              • Allan
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                  I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
                  there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
                  don't care as long as I can understand it. Another question is why is
                  all yuri anime on the shelf always subbed?
                • Johann Chua
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                    On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Allan <poor_mario1@...> wrote:
                    > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
                    > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really

                    English-language drama CDS for anime probably won't do well since the
                    main selling point is the Japanese voice cast. I know some North
                    American voice actors have devoted fans, but said fandom hasn't been
                    monetized to the extent it has in Japan. I know Cree Summer released
                    an album (produced by Lenny Kravitz, no less) and Cam Clarke did a
                    showtunes CD called In and Out, which is how I learned he was gay; one
                    of his aliases, Jimmy Flinders, is a character from a musical he
                    performed in.

                    Audio dramas are alive and well in the UK thanks to the BBC, though.
                    Doctor Who still has new ones. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was
                    originally a radio drama. I highly recommend the National Public Radio
                    dramatizations of the Star Wars trilogy, which Jessica Zafra
                    serialized on her Twisted on a Sunday radio show; each multi-CD set is
                    more expensive than the DVD of the movie it adapts, though, which is
                    why I'm sticking to the script books.

                    > don't care as long as I can understand it. Another question is why is
                    > all yuri anime on the shelf always subbed?

                    Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even bad
                    dubs cost much more than a good subtitle job. Upside is that
                    subtitled-only releases are cheaper, which is an improvement over the
                    old practice of subtitled VHS being _more_ expensive than the
                    English-dubbed version; logic being that the dub would sell so much
                    better, that the additional costs would easily be recovered.
                  • iatheia
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                      > Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even
                      bad
                      > dubs cost much more than a good subtitle job. Upside is that
                      > subtitled-only releases are cheaper, which is an improvement over
                      the
                      > old practice of subtitled VHS being _more_ expensive than the
                      > English-dubbed version; logic being that the dub would sell so much
                      > better, that the additional costs would easily be recovered.

                      Of course, another argument is that subbed anime is usually much
                      better in quality than the dubbed version. Because when you just sub,
                      you don't have to worry about what voice actors and their accent and
                      incorrect intonations, and usually subtitles read exactly what the
                      character actually is saying, so you don't have to worry about
                      rewritten parts of the plot...
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                        On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:34 PM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
                        >> Yuri is considered too niche to justify the cost of dubbing. Even
                        >
                        > Of course, another argument is that subbed anime is usually much
                        > better in quality than the dubbed version. Because when you just sub,
                        > you don't have to worry about what voice actors and their accent and
                        > incorrect intonations, and usually subtitles read exactly what the
                        > character actually is saying, so you don't have to worry about
                        > rewritten parts of the plot...

                        Well, I know a professional anime translator who cautioned (back in
                        the subtitled VHS days) that each line had a 40 character limit (to be
                        readable on small TVs, I guess), so subtitles may leave something out.
                        Then we have the honorifics/no-honorifics kettle of fish, not to
                        mention how to handle stuff like Osaka-ben.

                        "Subtitler's nightmare" would be a scene from the SD Gundam anime (not
                        the cel-shaded CGI series) where we have a 4-way split screen and at
                        least half a dozen characters talking at the same time. Dunno if
                        anyone actually tried.

                        Reading about old-school videotape fansubs (ADV producer's commentary
                        on Devil Hunter Yohko; Carl Horn in Japan Edge), I found that they
                        tended to use Amigas equipped with a genlock. The Amiga was really
                        great with handling analog video, shame that it went away due to
                        corporate incompetence.
                      • Haruchin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                          Re: Johann's comment below:

                          It does seem that there's more of a market for audio drama thanks to the BBC, and the quality is pretty good too (although I may be slightly biased, having written one for the aforementioned Doctor Who series). Actually I was considering having a conversation with the guys from Big Finish (who do the DW audios) about the possibility of producing manga/anime connected audio dramas. The problem is, as Johann says, that without the seiyuu connection, the reasons for purchasing an anime-related audio drama decrease significantly. There's simply no ready-made audience as there is for Doctor Who, or even Radio 4 drama. Hardcore fans will want the Japanese originals, and less hardcore fans are unlikely to be interested in something as niche as audio CDs. I have a feeling I would be laughed out of the office...

                          It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a London-based production office. Ah well...

                          Haru

                          > Audio dramas are alive and well in the UK thanks to the BBC, though. Doctor Who still has new ones. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was originally a radio drama. I highly recommend the National Public Radio dramatizations of the Star Wars trilogy, which Jessica Zafra serialized on her Twisted on a Sunday radio show; each multi-CD set is more expensive than the DVD of the movie it adapts, though, which is why I'm sticking to the script books.

                          .

                          Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile. Click Here!
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Haruchin <haruchin@...> wrote:

                            > It's kind of a shame. I would love to hear some English language
                            versions of the various drama CDs out there, and even more, I would
                            love to hear the British casting choices that would result from a
                            London-based production office. Ah well...

                            The difference is that Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc are written
                            in the English language originally - so of course they sound fine
                            adapted into radio dramas.

                            I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
                            Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                            trained differently and record differently than English-language
                            voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
                            here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                            they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
                            room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                            objection.

                            I prefer subtitles over dubs for everything, whether it's an anime or
                            a European movie. I want to hear what the actual actors sounded like,
                            not how some second-rate actor doing voice-over in between "real" jobs
                            interprets the role. I know you're all too young to remember
                            Starblazers, but *I'll* never forget Desslar's menacing bass turned
                            into Desslok's mincing tenor. It was traumatizing. lol

                          • pachy_boy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <poor_mario1@...> wrote:

                              > I see that there are drama CD's for mariasama in Japanese but are
                              > there any drama CDs for any series in english? Yuri or not I really
                              > don't care as long as I can understand it.

                              The Code Geass limited edition set contains a CD drama starring the dub
                              actors, and that's the only one I know. I've never bought the set since
                              I'm currently watching it on Adult Swim, so I can't offer an opinion on
                              it, other than that I think the series's dub is very decent--Pachy
                            • Johann Chua
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                                On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                                > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite DCDs.
                                > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                                > trained differently and record differently than English-language
                                > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so thriving
                                > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                                > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in one
                                > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                                > objection.

                                I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
                                Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
                                cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
                                record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing. And
                                tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
                                mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
                                pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
                                afureco _is_ the industry.

                                The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                                sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                                recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-Frazier
                                (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                                animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.

                                Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the high
                                cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
                                confirmation for this.

                                *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
                                Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
                                SImoun.)
                              • iatheia
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:57 PM, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                                  > > I cringe at the thought of curent dub actors voicing Marimite
                                  DCDs.
                                  > > Yes, I am a voice purist, but simply because Japanese seiyuu have
                                  > > trained differently and record differently than English-language
                                  > > voice-over actors. Should the dubbing industry ever become so
                                  thriving
                                  > > here that there are schools that train actors' voices to the level
                                  > > they do in Japan, and should they begin recording all together in
                                  one
                                  > > room, so they can actually act off one another, I don't have any
                                  > > objection.
                                  >
                                  > I've noticed that North American VAs who do anime (David Kaye, Venus
                                  > Terzo, Kari Wahlgren, Yuri Lowenthal) sound better in North American
                                  > cartoons (like Beast Wars and Legion of Super Heroes) where they do
                                  > record as a group, albeit without the complication of overdubbing.
                                  And
                                  > tend to have better scripts and voice directors. ISTR Ian Cortlett
                                  > mentioning that ovedubbing anime is twice as much work as
                                  > pre-recording voices, for the same amount of pay. Of course in Japan
                                  > afureco _is_ the industry.
                                  >
                                  > The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                                  > sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                                  > recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                                  Frazier
                                  > (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                                  > animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                                  >
                                  > Supposedly the reason for group recording in Japan is due to the
                                  high
                                  > cost of studio time in Tokyo, though I have no independent
                                  > confirmation for this.
                                  >
                                  > *(I find it interesting that as Scott Frazier, Jan was promoting the
                                  > Animo digital animation software suite in Japan. Animo was used in
                                  > SImoun.)

                                  Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                                  translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                                  effectiveness of it...
                                • Johann Chua
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 8, 2008
                                    On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
                                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
                                    >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
                                    >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
                                    > Frazier
                                    >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
                                    >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
                                    >
                                    > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
                                    > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
                                    > effectiveness of it...

                                    Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
                                    from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
                                    here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
                                    over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
                                    gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
                                    days.

                                    Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
                                    really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
                                    way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
                                    benefit.