RE: The perfect yuri manga?

  • husky_haruka
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2008
      I believe this conversation has lost its focus. We should be thankful
      for the access to scans of manga that some of us might not otherwise be
      reading until its USA release.Even then after its release there was
      limited availability and most titles went out of print not long
      afterward.Unlike most I have done both, read the scans and bought the
      manga after its release here.
      I remember when the only way to get anything dealing with Japanese
      animation of ANY kind was to hit a large convention. Even at some of
      the larger ones you would be lucky to find one or two tables but
      limited variety and not a single thing had American dub and barely one
      third had sub-titles and the only manga was available in Japanese ONLY.
      As for anything with any 'yuri' content, not a single piece of work
      could be found. Most of the available entertainment was geared to
      attract young males, like three quarters of the industry still is today.
      This is not because of the product not selling, it is because it is not
      the top-selling market. In a country that still considers women to be
      second class citizens and 'yuri/yaoi' to be mere scandalous fads, soon
      to follow last month's top J-pop idol; WE SHOULD COUNT OURSELVES LUCKY
      WE ARE NOW CAPABLE OF GETTING ANYTHING 'YURI'.