Re: Hayate Cross Blade

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2008

      > I know I have been ranting for nearly four years about this series,
      >so it might possibly have seemed that I'm no more than a mere
      >obsessive >lunatic at times. But, seriously, HxB is an absolutely
      >stellar series.

      Don't be silly. You can tell that Hayate X Blade is great from page
      nine and you did not even have to know Japanese to get that joke.

      Also it is nice to see a 'real' tsundere (Ayana) in a manga rather
      than the spray of Rin clones that have been churned out recently. (not
      that there was anything wrong with Rin)
    • Jen
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

        > Hayate Cross Blade = ^___^

        To expand, I like how it's an extreme version of MariMite.

        Yumi is the short, genki, inelegant runt... Hayate is even shorter,
        ultra hyper, totally genkitronic runt.

        Sachiko is a tall, brooding, solitary nadeshiko who projects an air of
        superiority and tries to "improve" those around her for the sake of
        dignity... while Ayana is a tall, pale loner with long dark hair and
        simply knows she's better than most everyone around her and is not
        afraid to let them know in a completely non-emotional manner.

        But this Yumi/Sachiko pair have swords. Oh, and Ayana wears Yuri
        Goggles. Could this series possibly be anything else but a WIN?

        What I especially liked was how Hayate seemed openly gay, but in a way
        that seems like no-one has ever told her that liking girls was taboo
        or wrong, so it never occurs to her that it should be either. I like
        that. No pitter-patter crap, either. No "seven volumes pass over the
        span of five years before the girl admits to the other that she likes
        her" crap I hate so much. Hayate see, Hayate say "YOU!", and there it
        is. Nice.

        And I haven't enjoyed seeing a small girl get beaten so much since
        Ichigo Mashimaro. Watching Ayane scream to the heavens in
        glasses-blurring rage is just... oh it's LOL, personified.

        And OH LOOK, they just happened to show all the series' sub-bosses
        sitting at one table, so we know who our couple will have to beat to
        progress to the last stage. How NICE, how very Angelic Layer. Let's
        see, we have the smirking, gloating one... the nice one who is just so
        sunny and likes you despite fighting to destroy you, nothing
        pewrsonal... the bored, not-paying-attention one who's like "y'know,
        whatever!"... we have the supremely powerful fighter who just happens
        to be a 10yr old... OH, and I swear there's an archetype for Hitsugi &
        Shizuku. I can't think of it right now, but I'm sure they must have
        coresponding parallel-world twins. The ultra-cool, supremely
        confident master of all and her big-eyed, pitter-patter yet TO THE
        DEATH loyal little girl partner? I'm sure there's been many others.

        Oh, and Hayate's roomate? If she's so smiley and carefree now, you
        just *know* her "secret" is so very boo-hoo ANGST DRAMA so sad so
        sad... she may as well have a "drama" stamp on her forehead. And oh
        GEE I wonder if big sister Nagi will happen to arrive to take her
        rightful place at just the worst possible time?

        Oh I am SO loving this, and it's just book #1. It's gonna be a long
        year. Don't wanna wait, I want book #2 now!

        - Jen.

        P.S. Ayane & ex-partner Yukari..? Well whadd'ya know, femmes still
        rule the world.
      • Jen
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

          > And I haven't enjoyed seeing a small girl get beaten so much since
          > Ichigo Mashimaro. Watching Ayane scream to the heavens in
          > glasses-blurring rage is just... oh it's LOL, personified.

          "Ayane"? I meana "Ayana". How did I type Ayane by accident? Was it
          a typo, or was there an Ayane in my history? Goog search time...

          AH! She was the blue-haired chick from Dead Or Alive! The
          booby-bouncing fighter from the Playstation! I played that!

          ...er, not for the bouncing boobies. Of course not. Actually, it was
          the challenge. We had that game, and I'd played won all mine many
          times over, so I played this one. And I had to win. I *had* to. It
          was a *game*, and I could not stop playing until I'd WON. That
          happens a lot.

          Which might also explain why Ayana was playing dating sims. Maybe she
          just has the game, and plays it because it's there, and she HAS to
          win, regardless of the game itself?

          ... or maybe she's just a lonely nerd/LFG who has no life and just
          wants to date girls and see 'em nekkid, and this is the best she can
          do? I dunno. Of all the uptight strangers you pass today, any one of
          them could be hiding a Sailor Moon tape in their bag. ^__^

          http://www.users.on.net/~prime/puni/Loserz-20060414.gif

          - Jen
        • Lindy
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
            Hi all,

            My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
            than never, right? (:

            I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
            felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
            the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
            bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
            onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
            since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
            be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
            (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

            I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

            Cheers,
            Lindy
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@> wrote:
              > and I swear there's an archetype for Hitsugi &
              > Shizuku. I can't think of it right now, but I'm sure they must
              have
              > coresponding parallel-world twins. The ultra-cool, supremely
              > confident master of all and her big-eyed, pitter-patter yet TO THE
              > DEATH loyal little girl partner? I'm sure there's been many
              others.

              Hitsugi is a parody of every uber-rich, confident and
              powerful "Richijou" (Chairman) of the school. I can think of several
              in my head, from Sukeban Deka and Hana no Asuka-gumi, but there have
              been many others. My favorite characteristc is when she laughs
              hysterically into a pillow at someone else's drama.

              Shizuku is meant to be seen as the embodiment of loyalty, all 47
              Ronin bundled up into one. :-) Personally, what I love best about
              her is that she wears Hitsugi's sword, as well as her own.

              When you all finally do see them fight...I will say only this....

              Do not be drinking anything. Or you *will* spew it across the page.

            • Firia L
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                I'm kinda curious how Yuri this series is. I hate getting a book thinking the Yuri element is going to be strong, and finding out that It's yuri only because one character is a lesbian. Bah!

                So yeah, what's the Yuri factor of Hayate Cross Blade? :)

                -L

                To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                From: Hynavian@...
                Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:00 +0000
                Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Hayate Cross Blade

                Hi all,

                My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                than never, right? (:

                I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                Cheers,
                Lindy

                See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here
              • Haruchin
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Hmmm...

                  Tricky one. HxB is full of shinyuu (very very close sisters in arms) by the nature of the school's fighting system, but the level of "actual" yuri is debateable. There is certainly the one openly "likes girls" character - Kuga Jun (interestingly, played in the drama CDs by Megumi Toyoguchi, pretty well reprising her Satou Sei role in Marimite), and there's varying levels of akogare, lust and closeness being played out between all the fighting pairs. All the same, I wouldn't go into it expecting to find out and proud lesbian couples though.

                  To tangent very slightly...

                  Erica, are you planning to review the second drama CD? (Do you have it?) I've got it and listened to it, but my Japanese is still pretty dodgy (takes me 10 minutes per speech balloon for the manga - although my dictionary is getting a very thorough workout out of it), so I would be hesitant to try to review it for the good folks here. I'd love to hear what you thought.

                  And in general - yay! It's fab to be able to read HxB in English - kudos to all the team that worked on it for the great translation and lovely reproduction. Now when's volume 2 out? :)

                  Best,
                  Haru

                  To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  From: Firia_Lyta@...
                  Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 22:30:01 -0800
                  Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Re: Hayate Cross Blade

                  To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                  From: Hynavian@hotmail. com
                  Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:00 +0000

                  Hi all,

                  My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                  than never, right? (:

                  I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                  felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                  the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                  bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                  onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                  since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                  be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                  (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                  I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                  Cheers,
                  Lindy

                  See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here

                  Click here for FREE customisable desktop wallpapers. Get them Now!
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 12, 2008
                    To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    From: haruchin@...
                    Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:49:34 +0000

                    > Erica, are you planning to review the second drama CD? (Do you have it?) I've got it and listened to it, but my Japanese is still pretty dodgy (takes me 10 minutes per speech balloon for the manga - although my dictionary is getting a very thorough workout out of it), so I would be hesitant to try to review it for the good folks here. I'd love to hear what you thought.

                    I've reviewed all three of the Drama CDs already, but I'm sure people who be perfectly happy to hear other opinions. :-)

                    DCD 1: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2006/04/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-1.html

                    DCD 2: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/12/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-volume-2.html

                    DCD 3: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/07/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-volume-3.html

                    Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                    http://okazu.blogspot.com

                    See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here