RE: [Yuricon] Hayate Cross Blade

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8 6:32 AM
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: puni@...
      > Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 06:37:52 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Hayate Cross Blade
      >
      > It is awesome.

      I know I have been ranting for nearly four years about this series, so it might possibly have seemed that I'm no more than a mere obsessive lunatic at times. But, seriously, HxB is an absolutely stellar series.

      > Erica is divine.

      Forgot to get the angelgram on that, but I think I'll pass. Divinity is so overrated - followers never listen. :-)

      I'm really glad you enjoyed Vol 1. Volume 2 is even more awesome by several orders and then Vol. 3 is even more awesome than that.

      Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here
    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 8 2:47 PM

        > I know I have been ranting for nearly four years about this series,
        >so it might possibly have seemed that I'm no more than a mere
        >obsessive >lunatic at times. But, seriously, HxB is an absolutely
        >stellar series.

        Don't be silly. You can tell that Hayate X Blade is great from page
        nine and you did not even have to know Japanese to get that joke.

        Also it is nice to see a 'real' tsundere (Ayana) in a manga rather
        than the spray of Rin clones that have been churned out recently. (not
        that there was anything wrong with Rin)
      • Jen
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 9 12:23 AM
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

          > Hayate Cross Blade = ^___^

          To expand, I like how it's an extreme version of MariMite.

          Yumi is the short, genki, inelegant runt... Hayate is even shorter,
          ultra hyper, totally genkitronic runt.

          Sachiko is a tall, brooding, solitary nadeshiko who projects an air of
          superiority and tries to "improve" those around her for the sake of
          dignity... while Ayana is a tall, pale loner with long dark hair and
          simply knows she's better than most everyone around her and is not
          afraid to let them know in a completely non-emotional manner.

          But this Yumi/Sachiko pair have swords. Oh, and Ayana wears Yuri
          Goggles. Could this series possibly be anything else but a WIN?

          What I especially liked was how Hayate seemed openly gay, but in a way
          that seems like no-one has ever told her that liking girls was taboo
          or wrong, so it never occurs to her that it should be either. I like
          that. No pitter-patter crap, either. No "seven volumes pass over the
          span of five years before the girl admits to the other that she likes
          her" crap I hate so much. Hayate see, Hayate say "YOU!", and there it
          is. Nice.

          And I haven't enjoyed seeing a small girl get beaten so much since
          Ichigo Mashimaro. Watching Ayane scream to the heavens in
          glasses-blurring rage is just... oh it's LOL, personified.

          And OH LOOK, they just happened to show all the series' sub-bosses
          sitting at one table, so we know who our couple will have to beat to
          progress to the last stage. How NICE, how very Angelic Layer. Let's
          see, we have the smirking, gloating one... the nice one who is just so
          sunny and likes you despite fighting to destroy you, nothing
          pewrsonal... the bored, not-paying-attention one who's like "y'know,
          whatever!"... we have the supremely powerful fighter who just happens
          to be a 10yr old... OH, and I swear there's an archetype for Hitsugi &
          Shizuku. I can't think of it right now, but I'm sure they must have
          coresponding parallel-world twins. The ultra-cool, supremely
          confident master of all and her big-eyed, pitter-patter yet TO THE
          DEATH loyal little girl partner? I'm sure there's been many others.

          Oh, and Hayate's roomate? If she's so smiley and carefree now, you
          just *know* her "secret" is so very boo-hoo ANGST DRAMA so sad so
          sad... she may as well have a "drama" stamp on her forehead. And oh
          GEE I wonder if big sister Nagi will happen to arrive to take her
          rightful place at just the worst possible time?

          Oh I am SO loving this, and it's just book #1. It's gonna be a long
          year. Don't wanna wait, I want book #2 now!

          - Jen.

          P.S. Ayane & ex-partner Yukari..? Well whadd'ya know, femmes still
          rule the world.
        • Jen
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 9 12:51 AM
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

            > And I haven't enjoyed seeing a small girl get beaten so much since
            > Ichigo Mashimaro. Watching Ayane scream to the heavens in
            > glasses-blurring rage is just... oh it's LOL, personified.

            "Ayane"? I meana "Ayana". How did I type Ayane by accident? Was it
            a typo, or was there an Ayane in my history? Goog search time...

            AH! She was the blue-haired chick from Dead Or Alive! The
            booby-bouncing fighter from the Playstation! I played that!

            ...er, not for the bouncing boobies. Of course not. Actually, it was
            the challenge. We had that game, and I'd played won all mine many
            times over, so I played this one. And I had to win. I *had* to. It
            was a *game*, and I could not stop playing until I'd WON. That
            happens a lot.

            Which might also explain why Ayana was playing dating sims. Maybe she
            just has the game, and plays it because it's there, and she HAS to
            win, regardless of the game itself?

            ... or maybe she's just a lonely nerd/LFG who has no life and just
            wants to date girls and see 'em nekkid, and this is the best she can
            do? I dunno. Of all the uptight strangers you pass today, any one of
            them could be hiding a Sailor Moon tape in their bag. ^__^

            http://www.users.on.net/~prime/puni/Loserz-20060414.gif

            - Jen
          • Lindy
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 9 2:02 AM
              Hi all,

              My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
              than never, right? (:

              I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
              felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
              the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
              bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
              onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
              since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
              be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
              (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

              I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

              Cheers,
              Lindy
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 9 6:56 AM
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@> wrote:
                > and I swear there's an archetype for Hitsugi &
                > Shizuku. I can't think of it right now, but I'm sure they must
                have
                > coresponding parallel-world twins. The ultra-cool, supremely
                > confident master of all and her big-eyed, pitter-patter yet TO THE
                > DEATH loyal little girl partner? I'm sure there's been many
                others.

                Hitsugi is a parody of every uber-rich, confident and
                powerful "Richijou" (Chairman) of the school. I can think of several
                in my head, from Sukeban Deka and Hana no Asuka-gumi, but there have
                been many others. My favorite characteristc is when she laughs
                hysterically into a pillow at someone else's drama.

                Shizuku is meant to be seen as the embodiment of loyalty, all 47
                Ronin bundled up into one. :-) Personally, what I love best about
                her is that she wears Hitsugi's sword, as well as her own.

                When you all finally do see them fight...I will say only this....

                Do not be drinking anything. Or you *will* spew it across the page.

              • Firia L
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 9 10:30 PM
                  I'm kinda curious how Yuri this series is. I hate getting a book thinking the Yuri element is going to be strong, and finding out that It's yuri only because one character is a lesbian. Bah!

                  So yeah, what's the Yuri factor of Hayate Cross Blade? :)

                  -L

                  To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  From: Hynavian@...
                  Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:00 +0000
                  Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Hayate Cross Blade

                  Hi all,

                  My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                  than never, right? (:

                  I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                  felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                  the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                  bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                  onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                  since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                  be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                  (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                  I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                  Cheers,
                  Lindy

                  See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here
                • Haruchin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 12 5:49 AM
                    Hmmm...

                    Tricky one. HxB is full of shinyuu (very very close sisters in arms) by the nature of the school's fighting system, but the level of "actual" yuri is debateable. There is certainly the one openly "likes girls" character - Kuga Jun (interestingly, played in the drama CDs by Megumi Toyoguchi, pretty well reprising her Satou Sei role in Marimite), and there's varying levels of akogare, lust and closeness being played out between all the fighting pairs. All the same, I wouldn't go into it expecting to find out and proud lesbian couples though.

                    To tangent very slightly...

                    Erica, are you planning to review the second drama CD? (Do you have it?) I've got it and listened to it, but my Japanese is still pretty dodgy (takes me 10 minutes per speech balloon for the manga - although my dictionary is getting a very thorough workout out of it), so I would be hesitant to try to review it for the good folks here. I'd love to hear what you thought.

                    And in general - yay! It's fab to be able to read HxB in English - kudos to all the team that worked on it for the great translation and lovely reproduction. Now when's volume 2 out? :)

                    Best,
                    Haru

                    To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    From: Firia_Lyta@...
                    Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 22:30:01 -0800
                    Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Re: Hayate Cross Blade

                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                    From: Hynavian@hotmail. com
                    Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:00 +0000

                    Hi all,

                    My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                    than never, right? (:

                    I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                    felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                    the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                    bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                    onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                    since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                    be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                    (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                    I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                    Cheers,
                    Lindy

                    See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here

                    Click here for FREE customisable desktop wallpapers. Get them Now!
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 12 6:21 AM
                      To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      From: haruchin@...
                      Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:49:34 +0000

                      > Erica, are you planning to review the second drama CD? (Do you have it?) I've got it and listened to it, but my Japanese is still pretty dodgy (takes me 10 minutes per speech balloon for the manga - although my dictionary is getting a very thorough workout out of it), so I would be hesitant to try to review it for the good folks here. I'd love to hear what you thought.

                      I've reviewed all three of the Drama CDs already, but I'm sure people who be perfectly happy to hear other opinions. :-)

                      DCD 1: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2006/04/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-1.html

                      DCD 2: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/12/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-volume-2.html

                      DCD 3: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/07/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-volume-3.html

                      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                      http://okazu.blogspot.com

                      See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here