RE: How times have changed RE: [Yuricon] Re: Oldies, but Goodies

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: ellen@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:05:00 -0600
      Subject: RE: How times have changed RE: [Yuricon] Re: Oldies, but Goodies

      > I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

      That's not dissimilar from the way it is in any country. Think of Japanese otaku, for instance. Teens and kids read manga and some percentage of adults but, aside from kiddy cartoons with their children, very few adults watch anime.

      I was speaking to a friend about it, and she simpy finds animation unappealing in general. Doesn't matter if it's CGI, anime, American, Simpsons, Korean, whatever. We strapped her down to watch "Yellow Submarine" a zillion years ago and she grudgingly said it didn't suck as bad as she expected. But that's it for her.

      I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

      One day in Mexico I randomly saw a TV on at the hotel, showing a subbed anime and suddenly felt myself relax. It was so *odd.* Apparently I find Japanese animation to be like a visual comfort food. lol Color me 'otaku.'

      Manga will grow, but I'm fairly certain that anime will always be less popular.

      On a practical note, you can take a manga on a train, but it's a little more awkward to carry anime around. I managed to watch some on my iPod, but it was never really as comfortable as pulling out a manga or Japanese novel and reading that.

      The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolution.blogspot.com
    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
        Message
        I have an Asus EEE, and it both fits in my purse and plays movies. Mind you, if they're on a disc you have to rip them to a SDHC first...

        Ellen Rose

        > I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

        That's not dissimilar from the way it is in any country. Think of Japanese otaku, for instance. Teens and kids read manga and some percentage of adults but, aside from kiddy cartoons with their children, very few adults watch anime.

        I was speaking to a friend about it, and she simpy finds animation unappealing in general. Doesn't matter if it's CGI, anime, American, Simpsons, Korean, whatever. We strapped her down to watch "Yellow Submarine" a zillion years ago and she grudgingly said it didn't suck as bad as she expected. But that's it for her.

        I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

        One day in Mexico I randomly saw a TV on at the hotel, showing a subbed anime and suddenly felt myself relax. It was so *odd.* Apparently I find Japanese animation to be like a visual comfort food. lol Color me 'otaku.'

        Manga will grow, but I'm fairly certain that anime will always be less popular.

        On a practical note, you can take a manga on a train, but it's a little more awkward to carry anime around. I managed to watch some on my iPod, but it was never really as comfortable as pulling out a manga or Japanese novel and reading that.

        http://www.yuricon. org

        Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

        "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

        The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolu tion.blogspot. com
        http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_faster_ 112008

      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
          On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          > I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is
          > harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't
          > give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more
          > conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know
          > there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

          "There aren't (m)any comics for girls because they read _real_ (not
          comic) books."

          Similarly, Lea Hernandez had _Romantic Times_ tell her that they
          considered CLOCKWORK ANGELS to be pornography (hence not suitable for
          review in the magazine) because it was visual material with sexual
          content. Never mind what most romance novels are like (which RT called
          "erotica").
        • Jaymie C
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
            Heh, looks like i missed out! My gateway yuri series (before i even knew the term existed) were A-ko, Sailor Moon, Utena. And now i gotta check out Idol Project and Kekko Kamen! But as for Oniisama E, well, there is a torrent floating online of rips from fansubs. Varying quality, but a series that is EXTREMELY hard to find otherwise.

            As for non-yuri gateways....Samurai Pizza Cats (looks shifty) what? it was FUNNY!