Re: [Yuricon] Oldies, but Goodies

  • Grisznak
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
      And what about oldest yuri fanservices serie - Cutie Honey? In most
      episodes (since the beginnig) Honey was chased by the teacher who
      wanted a date with her.
      cheers
      Grisznak

      2008/11/6 Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...>:
      > And when we discuss Project A-ko, it's reasonable to discuss Kekko Kamen.
      > There is so much wrong with that show, and most of it hilarious. Best short
      >
      > Ellen Rose

    • secondontheleft
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
        I think my own first brush with yuri was El Hazard. You do get an
        actual couple in it (not necessarily a monogamous one... by choice,
        anyway).

        Probably a year after that I saw a fansub of the ROD OAV. I haven't
        encountered many anime fans who aren't charmed by that one. Important
        distinction there, 'anime fans' to 'other people'. I counted on that
        when I took the DVD foldout poster to the library I used to work at
        and suggested using it in place of one of their other reading
        encouragement posters. Sometimes you have to do these things to see
        that 'not you again' sort of expression on your supervisor's face.
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: firebird1919@...
          > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:23:37 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Oldies, but Goodies

          > Probably a year after that I saw a fansub of the ROD OAV. I haven't
          > encountered many anime fans who aren't charmed by that one. Important
          > distinction there, 'anime fans' to 'other people'. I counted on that
          > when I took the DVD foldout poster to the library I used to work at
          > and suggested using it in place of one of their other reading
          > encouragement posters. Sometimes you have to do these things to see
          > that 'not you again' sort of expression on your supervisor's face.

          At MangaNEXT, I was talking about how things have changed in five years.
          This is another good example of how much things have changed, I think.

          In March, I will be doing two lectures at the Morris County Library highlighting some of the many genres and gems of their exceptional Graphic Novel section. It's separated by YA and adult titles, and they range from any number of manga (some of which were donated by me, so they have a lovely Yuri selection) to classic American superhero GNs to famous comic artists to really funky Indie stuff.

          I bet that if I brought a "Read or Die" poster to that lecture, they'd be *thrilled* to put it up.

          The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolution.blogspot.com

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
            Message
            I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

            Ellen Rose

            http://www.yuricon. org

            Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

            "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

            The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolu tion.blogspot. com

            http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_faster_ 112008

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
              To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              From: ellen@...
              Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:05:00 -0600

              > I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

              That's not dissimilar from the way it is in any country. Think of Japanese otaku, for instance. Teens and kids read manga and some percentage of adults but, aside from kiddy cartoons with their children, very few adults watch anime.

              I was speaking to a friend about it, and she simpy finds animation unappealing in general. Doesn't matter if it's CGI, anime, American, Simpsons, Korean, whatever. We strapped her down to watch "Yellow Submarine" a zillion years ago and she grudgingly said it didn't suck as bad as she expected. But that's it for her.

              I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

              One day in Mexico I randomly saw a TV on at the hotel, showing a subbed anime and suddenly felt myself relax. It was so *odd.* Apparently I find Japanese animation to be like a visual comfort food. lol Color me 'otaku.'

              Manga will grow, but I'm fairly certain that anime will always be less popular.

              On a practical note, you can take a manga on a train, but it's a little more awkward to carry anime around. I managed to watch some on my iPod, but it was never really as comfortable as pulling out a manga or Japanese novel and reading that.

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                Message
                I have an Asus EEE, and it both fits in my purse and plays movies. Mind you, if they're on a disc you have to rip them to a SDHC first...

                Ellen Rose

                > I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

                That's not dissimilar from the way it is in any country. Think of Japanese otaku, for instance. Teens and kids read manga and some percentage of adults but, aside from kiddy cartoons with their children, very few adults watch anime.

                I was speaking to a friend about it, and she simpy finds animation unappealing in general. Doesn't matter if it's CGI, anime, American, Simpsons, Korean, whatever. We strapped her down to watch "Yellow Submarine" a zillion years ago and she grudgingly said it didn't suck as bad as she expected. But that's it for her.

                I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

                One day in Mexico I randomly saw a TV on at the hotel, showing a subbed anime and suddenly felt myself relax. It was so *odd.* Apparently I find Japanese animation to be like a visual comfort food. lol Color me 'otaku.'

                Manga will grow, but I'm fairly certain that anime will always be less popular.

                On a practical note, you can take a manga on a train, but it's a little more awkward to carry anime around. I managed to watch some on my iPod, but it was never really as comfortable as pulling out a manga or Japanese novel and reading that.

                http://www.yuricon. org

                Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

                "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

                The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolu tion.blogspot. com
                http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_faster_ 112008

              • Johann Chua
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                  On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                  > I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is
                  > harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't
                  > give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more
                  > conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know
                  > there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

                  "There aren't (m)any comics for girls because they read _real_ (not
                  comic) books."

                  Similarly, Lea Hernandez had _Romantic Times_ tell her that they
                  considered CLOCKWORK ANGELS to be pornography (hence not suitable for
                  review in the magazine) because it was visual material with sexual
                  content. Never mind what most romance novels are like (which RT called
                  "erotica").
                • Jaymie C
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                    Heh, looks like i missed out! My gateway yuri series (before i even knew the term existed) were A-ko, Sailor Moon, Utena. And now i gotta check out Idol Project and Kekko Kamen! But as for Oniisama E, well, there is a torrent floating online of rips from fansubs. Varying quality, but a series that is EXTREMELY hard to find otherwise.

                    As for non-yuri gateways....Samurai Pizza Cats (looks shifty) what? it was FUNNY!