Re: Oldies, but Goodies

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
      I tend to use United Publications (http://www.up1.co.uk) for items not
      currently published in my country. However only the final box set of
      Utena and the movie can be found at this moment.

      If you are referring to the US then you can find a lot of Utena online
      (http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Girl-Utena-Rose-Collection/dp/B00000IBUK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225930339&sr=1-5)
      and you can get Salor Moon S too
      (http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Moon-S-Complete-Uncut/dp/B00020HBUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225930573&sr=1-1)

      Something like Oniisama E is harder. They only way I got it was by
      knowing someone. Maybe you know someone who has a load of fansub
      tapes? Shouldn't be too hard as they will probably be complaining
      about how horrible it is that they have to convert them to a new
      medium. Conversely it was released on DVD in Japan, but if I knew how
      to find any copies I'd have bought them by now.

      Ah talking about fansubs that came on tapes brings back nostalgic
      memories of my first viewing of the Utena movie, Ideon or Tomorrow's Joe.

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Wyld Childe <wyldchilde37@...> wrote:

      > Any hints on how to find them? I mean I LOOKED into Utena and it was
      like "We have to disks in our sorage room, and an empty box that you
      can read the back of..." and if Im going to get into a series I like
      to know I can at least get a season by season sort fo thing.

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008

        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: wyldchilde37@...
        > Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:49:25 -0800
        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Oldies, but Goodies
        >
        > Any hints on how to find them? I mean I LOOKED into Utena and it was like "We have to disks in our sorage room, and an empty box that you can read the back of..." and if Im going to get into a series I like to know I can at least get a season by season sort fo thing.

        The DVDs  for Utena, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon and Battle Athletes are still available through Amazon (check the Yuricon Shop for links) or major online anime retailers, like Anime Castle. Finding an older series not online will be significantly more challenging, because you're basically looking for a store that never cleans out back inventory. You can also look at the companies that put the series out - they may sell direct.

        Things that are out of print, or have never been released will be up to your discretion as to how you obtain those kinds of things.

        See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
          On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:31 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. Sure, it's mindless fluff. Was a bit
          >> surprised to recently hear TWO people claiming it's not yuri at all,
          >> though.
          >
          > Mmm... Miyuki-chan... I saw once someone classified it as yaoi.
          > Apparently, they found two boys there getting on with it...

          I think Megumi Ogata was in the cast....that or any CLAMP stuff must
          have some yaoi or yaoi fodder.

          Once saw a recommendation to watch Oniisama e on the off chance that
          two minor male characters might be a gay couple.
        • Richard Beaubien
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
            >If you are an anime fan for more than 5 years, not newly recruited,
            >please share your older than five years old "must-watch" and gateway
            >Yuri series with people here, so we keep the old traditions alive!

            Although more parody comedy than Yuri, Project A-ko was one of the first
            titles
            I watched that had some Yuri leanings. The A-ko, B-ko, C-ko triangle has
            Yuri flavors,
            though they chose to focus more on the comedy than the relationship (it was
            supposed to
            be part of the Cream Lemon series IIRC).
          • Ellen Kuhfeld
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
              Message
              Project A-ko was a goodie. It was especially fun when they gave the fanservice to the characters instead of the audience (cf. the fighter pilot). And lord knows, the aliens had enough gender-bending going on to keep things silly even with no yuri at the moment. I'm told the explosions will reward frame-by-frame viewing. Just so much going on!

              Ellen Rose

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...> wrote:
                > Project A-ko was a goodie. It was especially fun when they gave the
                > fanservice to the characters instead of the audience (cf. the fighter
                > pilot). And lord knows, the aliens had enough gender-bending going on to
                > keep things silly even with no yuri at the moment. I'm told the explosions
                > will reward frame-by-frame viewing. Just so much going on!

                "These alien women who look like men said I was their princess..."

                Oughta get the orignal movie, at least, on DVD.

                Another old title with yuri is Idol Project. There seemed to be an
                unwritten law in the nineties that Kikuko Inoue's lesbian characters
                have to sexually harass Mariko Kouda's overly excitable heroines whose
                names start with "mi".
              • Ellen Kuhfeld
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Message
                  And when we discuss Project A-ko, it's reasonable to discuss Kekko Kamen. There is so much wrong with that show, and most of it hilarious. Best short description: slapstick BDSM.

                  Ellen Rose

                  > Project A-ko was a goodie. It was especially fun when they gave the
                  > fanservice to the characters instead of the audience (cf. the fighter
                  > pilot). And lord knows, the aliens had enough gender-bending going on to
                  > keep things silly even with no yuri at the moment. I'm told the explosions
                  > will reward frame-by-frame viewing. Just so much going on!

                  "These alien women who look like men said I was their princess..."

                  Oughta get the orignal movie, at least, on DVD.

                  Another old title with yuri is Idol Project. There seemed to be an
                  unwritten law in the nineties that Kikuko Inoue's lesbian characters
                  have to sexually harass Mariko Kouda's overly excitable heroines whose
                  names start with "mi".

                • Grisznak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                    And what about oldest yuri fanservices serie - Cutie Honey? In most
                    episodes (since the beginnig) Honey was chased by the teacher who
                    wanted a date with her.
                    cheers
                    Grisznak

                    2008/11/6 Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...>:
                    > And when we discuss Project A-ko, it's reasonable to discuss Kekko Kamen.
                    > There is so much wrong with that show, and most of it hilarious. Best short
                    >
                    > Ellen Rose

                  • secondontheleft
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                      I think my own first brush with yuri was El Hazard. You do get an
                      actual couple in it (not necessarily a monogamous one... by choice,
                      anyway).

                      Probably a year after that I saw a fansub of the ROD OAV. I haven't
                      encountered many anime fans who aren't charmed by that one. Important
                      distinction there, 'anime fans' to 'other people'. I counted on that
                      when I took the DVD foldout poster to the library I used to work at
                      and suggested using it in place of one of their other reading
                      encouragement posters. Sometimes you have to do these things to see
                      that 'not you again' sort of expression on your supervisor's face.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: firebird1919@...
                        > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:23:37 +0000
                        > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Oldies, but Goodies

                        > Probably a year after that I saw a fansub of the ROD OAV. I haven't
                        > encountered many anime fans who aren't charmed by that one. Important
                        > distinction there, 'anime fans' to 'other people'. I counted on that
                        > when I took the DVD foldout poster to the library I used to work at
                        > and suggested using it in place of one of their other reading
                        > encouragement posters. Sometimes you have to do these things to see
                        > that 'not you again' sort of expression on your supervisor's face.

                        At MangaNEXT, I was talking about how things have changed in five years.
                        This is another good example of how much things have changed, I think.

                        In March, I will be doing two lectures at the Morris County Library highlighting some of the many genres and gems of their exceptional Graphic Novel section. It's separated by YA and adult titles, and they range from any number of manga (some of which were donated by me, so they have a lovely Yuri selection) to classic American superhero GNs to famous comic artists to really funky Indie stuff.

                        I bet that if I brought a "Read or Die" poster to that lecture, they'd be *thrilled* to put it up.

                        The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolution.blogspot.com

                      • Ellen Kuhfeld
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                          Message
                          I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

                          Ellen Rose

                          http://www.yuricon. org

                          Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

                          "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

                          The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolu tion.blogspot. com

                          http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_faster_ 112008

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                            From: ellen@...
                            Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:05:00 -0600

                            > I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

                            That's not dissimilar from the way it is in any country. Think of Japanese otaku, for instance. Teens and kids read manga and some percentage of adults but, aside from kiddy cartoons with their children, very few adults watch anime.

                            I was speaking to a friend about it, and she simpy finds animation unappealing in general. Doesn't matter if it's CGI, anime, American, Simpsons, Korean, whatever. We strapped her down to watch "Yellow Submarine" a zillion years ago and she grudgingly said it didn't suck as bad as she expected. But that's it for her.

                            I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

                            One day in Mexico I randomly saw a TV on at the hotel, showing a subbed anime and suddenly felt myself relax. It was so *odd.* Apparently I find Japanese animation to be like a visual comfort food. lol Color me 'otaku.'

                            Manga will grow, but I'm fairly certain that anime will always be less popular.

                            On a practical note, you can take a manga on a train, but it's a little more awkward to carry anime around. I managed to watch some on my iPod, but it was never really as comfortable as pulling out a manga or Japanese novel and reading that.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                              Message
                              I have an Asus EEE, and it both fits in my purse and plays movies. Mind you, if they're on a disc you have to rip them to a SDHC first...

                              Ellen Rose

                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                                > I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is
                                > harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't
                                > give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more
                                > conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know
                                > there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

                                "There aren't (m)any comics for girls because they read _real_ (not
                                comic) books."

                                Similarly, Lea Hernandez had _Romantic Times_ tell her that they
                                considered CLOCKWORK ANGELS to be pornography (hence not suitable for
                                review in the magazine) because it was visual material with sexual
                                content. Never mind what most romance novels are like (which RT called
                                "erotica").
                              • Jaymie C
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  Heh, looks like i missed out! My gateway yuri series (before i even knew the term existed) were A-ko, Sailor Moon, Utena. And now i gotta check out Idol Project and Kekko Kamen! But as for Oniisama E, well, there is a torrent floating online of rips from fansubs. Varying quality, but a series that is EXTREMELY hard to find otherwise.

                                  As for non-yuri gateways....Samurai Pizza Cats (looks shifty) what? it was FUNNY!