Oldies, but Goodies

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
      So, last weekend, Sean, Bruce and I were doing the Yuri Panel at
      MangaNEXT and Sean mentioned a few series which were, in their time,
      gateway anime. You could hear crickets.

      Although they were all not particularly old, as real things go, time
      moves on and today's gateway anime are not the same as yesterday's.
      As a result, many people who come in to Yuri through Kannazuki no
      Miko, Maria-sama ga Miteru or Strawberry Panic have never once
      watched the series that set the standards for those anime.

      If you are an anime fan for more than 5 years, not newly recruited,
      please share your older than five years old "must-watch" and gateway
      Yuri series with people here, so we keep the old traditions alive!

      Here are my five anime recommendations for those of you who are new
      to the genre:

      1) Sailor Moon S - it's a typical magical girl anime with monsters
      of the Day. But until there's a better Yuri couple than Haruka and
      Michiru, a better bad guy than Eudial and a better Monster of the
      Day than Doorknobder, you really need to see at least this season.

      2) Revolutionary Girl Utena - It's surreal. It's disturbing. It's
      got gobs of references to my next choices. It's classic and funky.
      If you just haven't gotten around to watching it, please do.

      3) Rose of Versailles - Like the Girl Prince-type? Like Takarazuka?
      Uniforms? The French Revolution? Soap operas? Big hair? War stories?
      Just...watch this.

      4) Oniisama E - Sainte-Juste makes doing very bad things look
      impossibly attractive.

      5) Gunsmith Cats - I have the anime of this on VHS. Riff Raff is a
      classic, an Evil Psycho Lesbian ex Russian spy assassin. Guns, cars
      and chicks never, ever grow old.

      So those are my "older than five years old" series.

    • pachy_boy
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008

        > If you are an anime fan for more than 5 years, not newly recruited,
        > please share your older than five years old "must-watch" and
        gateway
        > Yuri series with people here, so we keep the old traditions alive!

        I always keep mentioning these two titles in my posts, but they
        should be mentioned for this topic:

        Battle Athletes-It contains silly comedy that's still pretty funny to
        this day, a diverse cast of characters, some weird story elements and
        sports athletics, and a lesbian named Kris who steals the show almost
        the very moment she makes her appearance as she continually hits on
        the main heroine, who later on shows hints of interest. Put it all
        together and you have an entertaining, worthwhile series.

        Devil Lady-It contains campy horror for anyone who's into that, with
        an appropriate, intriguing storyline that keeps one glued even after
        the first half where it's mostly been monster-of-the-week episodes.
        And it's got a total of not two, not three, but five yuri characters
        making up the cast (maybe six if you include the catgirl whose name I
        forget).
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
          Definitely Sailor Moon and Utena. No one ever compares and it surprises me that so many fans dismiss them just because their older.

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote

            > Although they were all not particularly old, as real things go, time
            > moves on and today's gateway anime are not the same as yesterday's.
            > As a result, many people who come in to Yuri through Kannazuki no
            > Miko, Maria-sama ga Miteru or Strawberry Panic have never once
            > watched the series that set the standards for those anime.

            That is scary. I find it hard to imagine life without watching Utena,
            Oniisama or the first patlabor movie (nothing to do with yuri just an
            important movie)

            It is hard to come up with more that what has already been posted. It
            was hard to get those anime in the UK where a third of the anime
            published in Australia or the US simply do get published here. (FLCL
            came out only six/nine months ago!)

            Consequently I had to import both my Utena collection and Sailor Moon
            S. With Oniisama E I was just lucky to know someone with the tapes.
          • Wyld Childe
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
              Any hints on how to find them? I mean I LOOKED into Utena and it was like "We have to disks in our sorage room, and an empty box that you can read the back of..." and if Im going to get into a series I like to know I can at least get a season by season sort fo thing.

              DW

              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
              lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

              Benjamin Franklin

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Season 2 of Magic Knight Rayearth. The Nova/Hikaru thing seemed
                  pretty
                  > low-key in the censored edit that ABS-CBN used for their dub. The
                  > relatively(/completely?) uncut version GMA and Telesuccess used
                  > however, made the sexual overtones pretty clear.
                  >
                  > Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. Sure, it's mindless fluff. Was a bit
                  > surprised to recently hear TWO people claiming it's not yuri at all,
                  > though.

                  Mmm... Miyuki-chan... I saw once someone classified it as yaoi.
                  Apparently, they found two boys there getting on with it...
                • mara_papimer
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                    I tend to use United Publications (http://www.up1.co.uk) for items not
                    currently published in my country. However only the final box set of
                    Utena and the movie can be found at this moment.

                    If you are referring to the US then you can find a lot of Utena online
                    (http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Girl-Utena-Rose-Collection/dp/B00000IBUK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225930339&sr=1-5)
                    and you can get Salor Moon S too
                    (http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Moon-S-Complete-Uncut/dp/B00020HBUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1225930573&sr=1-1)

                    Something like Oniisama E is harder. They only way I got it was by
                    knowing someone. Maybe you know someone who has a load of fansub
                    tapes? Shouldn't be too hard as they will probably be complaining
                    about how horrible it is that they have to convert them to a new
                    medium. Conversely it was released on DVD in Japan, but if I knew how
                    to find any copies I'd have bought them by now.

                    Ah talking about fansubs that came on tapes brings back nostalgic
                    memories of my first viewing of the Utena movie, Ideon or Tomorrow's Joe.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008

                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: wyldchilde37@...
                      > Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:49:25 -0800
                      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Oldies, but Goodies
                      >
                      > Any hints on how to find them? I mean I LOOKED into Utena and it was like "We have to disks in our sorage room, and an empty box that you can read the back of..." and if Im going to get into a series I like to know I can at least get a season by season sort fo thing.

                      The DVDs  for Utena, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon and Battle Athletes are still available through Amazon (check the Yuricon Shop for links) or major online anime retailers, like Anime Castle. Finding an older series not online will be significantly more challenging, because you're basically looking for a store that never cleans out back inventory. You can also look at the companies that put the series out - they may sell direct.

                      Things that are out of print, or have never been released will be up to your discretion as to how you obtain those kinds of things.

                      See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                        On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:31 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        >> Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. Sure, it's mindless fluff. Was a bit
                        >> surprised to recently hear TWO people claiming it's not yuri at all,
                        >> though.
                        >
                        > Mmm... Miyuki-chan... I saw once someone classified it as yaoi.
                        > Apparently, they found two boys there getting on with it...

                        I think Megumi Ogata was in the cast....that or any CLAMP stuff must
                        have some yaoi or yaoi fodder.

                        Once saw a recommendation to watch Oniisama e on the off chance that
                        two minor male characters might be a gay couple.
                      • Richard Beaubien
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                          >If you are an anime fan for more than 5 years, not newly recruited,
                          >please share your older than five years old "must-watch" and gateway
                          >Yuri series with people here, so we keep the old traditions alive!

                          Although more parody comedy than Yuri, Project A-ko was one of the first
                          titles
                          I watched that had some Yuri leanings. The A-ko, B-ko, C-ko triangle has
                          Yuri flavors,
                          though they chose to focus more on the comedy than the relationship (it was
                          supposed to
                          be part of the Cream Lemon series IIRC).
                        • Ellen Kuhfeld
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                            Message
                            Project A-ko was a goodie. It was especially fun when they gave the fanservice to the characters instead of the audience (cf. the fighter pilot). And lord knows, the aliens had enough gender-bending going on to keep things silly even with no yuri at the moment. I'm told the explosions will reward frame-by-frame viewing. Just so much going on!

                            Ellen Rose

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                              On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...> wrote:
                              > Project A-ko was a goodie. It was especially fun when they gave the
                              > fanservice to the characters instead of the audience (cf. the fighter
                              > pilot). And lord knows, the aliens had enough gender-bending going on to
                              > keep things silly even with no yuri at the moment. I'm told the explosions
                              > will reward frame-by-frame viewing. Just so much going on!

                              "These alien women who look like men said I was their princess..."

                              Oughta get the orignal movie, at least, on DVD.

                              Another old title with yuri is Idol Project. There seemed to be an
                              unwritten law in the nineties that Kikuko Inoue's lesbian characters
                              have to sexually harass Mariko Kouda's overly excitable heroines whose
                              names start with "mi".
                            • Ellen Kuhfeld
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
                                Message
                                And when we discuss Project A-ko, it's reasonable to discuss Kekko Kamen. There is so much wrong with that show, and most of it hilarious. Best short description: slapstick BDSM.

                                Ellen Rose

                                > Project A-ko was a goodie. It was especially fun when they gave the
                                > fanservice to the characters instead of the audience (cf. the fighter
                                > pilot). And lord knows, the aliens had enough gender-bending going on to
                                > keep things silly even with no yuri at the moment. I'm told the explosions
                                > will reward frame-by-frame viewing. Just so much going on!

                                "These alien women who look like men said I was their princess..."

                                Oughta get the orignal movie, at least, on DVD.

                                Another old title with yuri is Idol Project. There seemed to be an
                                unwritten law in the nineties that Kikuko Inoue's lesbian characters
                                have to sexually harass Mariko Kouda's overly excitable heroines whose
                                names start with "mi".

                              • Grisznak
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  And what about oldest yuri fanservices serie - Cutie Honey? In most
                                  episodes (since the beginnig) Honey was chased by the teacher who
                                  wanted a date with her.
                                  cheers
                                  Grisznak

                                  2008/11/6 Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...>:
                                  > And when we discuss Project A-ko, it's reasonable to discuss Kekko Kamen.
                                  > There is so much wrong with that show, and most of it hilarious. Best short
                                  >
                                  > Ellen Rose

                                • secondontheleft
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    I think my own first brush with yuri was El Hazard. You do get an
                                    actual couple in it (not necessarily a monogamous one... by choice,
                                    anyway).

                                    Probably a year after that I saw a fansub of the ROD OAV. I haven't
                                    encountered many anime fans who aren't charmed by that one. Important
                                    distinction there, 'anime fans' to 'other people'. I counted on that
                                    when I took the DVD foldout poster to the library I used to work at
                                    and suggested using it in place of one of their other reading
                                    encouragement posters. Sometimes you have to do these things to see
                                    that 'not you again' sort of expression on your supervisor's face.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                      > From: firebird1919@...
                                      > Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:23:37 +0000
                                      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Oldies, but Goodies

                                      > Probably a year after that I saw a fansub of the ROD OAV. I haven't
                                      > encountered many anime fans who aren't charmed by that one. Important
                                      > distinction there, 'anime fans' to 'other people'. I counted on that
                                      > when I took the DVD foldout poster to the library I used to work at
                                      > and suggested using it in place of one of their other reading
                                      > encouragement posters. Sometimes you have to do these things to see
                                      > that 'not you again' sort of expression on your supervisor's face.

                                      At MangaNEXT, I was talking about how things have changed in five years.
                                      This is another good example of how much things have changed, I think.

                                      In March, I will be doing two lectures at the Morris County Library highlighting some of the many genres and gems of their exceptional Graphic Novel section. It's separated by YA and adult titles, and they range from any number of manga (some of which were donated by me, so they have a lovely Yuri selection) to classic American superhero GNs to famous comic artists to really funky Indie stuff.

                                      I bet that if I brought a "Read or Die" poster to that lecture, they'd be *thrilled* to put it up.

                                      The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolution.blogspot.com

                                    • Ellen Kuhfeld
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                        Message
                                        I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

                                        Ellen Rose

                                        http://www.yuricon. org

                                        Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

                                        "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net

                                        The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolu tion.blogspot. com

                                        http://windowslive. com/Explore/ Hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ acq_faster_ 112008

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: ellen@...
                                          Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:05:00 -0600

                                          > I've done a small manga/anime exhibit for Quatrefoil - our local GLBT library. The message from users seems to be that manga goes over, but nobody cares about anime. What is the youth of today coming to!?

                                          That's not dissimilar from the way it is in any country. Think of Japanese otaku, for instance. Teens and kids read manga and some percentage of adults but, aside from kiddy cartoons with their children, very few adults watch anime.

                                          I was speaking to a friend about it, and she simpy finds animation unappealing in general. Doesn't matter if it's CGI, anime, American, Simpsons, Korean, whatever. We strapped her down to watch "Yellow Submarine" a zillion years ago and she grudgingly said it didn't suck as bad as she expected. But that's it for her.

                                          I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

                                          One day in Mexico I randomly saw a TV on at the hotel, showing a subbed anime and suddenly felt myself relax. It was so *odd.* Apparently I find Japanese animation to be like a visual comfort food. lol Color me 'otaku.'

                                          Manga will grow, but I'm fairly certain that anime will always be less popular.

                                          On a practical note, you can take a manga on a train, but it's a little more awkward to carry anime around. I managed to watch some on my iPod, but it was never really as comfortable as pulling out a manga or Japanese novel and reading that.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                            Message
                                            I have an Asus EEE, and it both fits in my purse and plays movies. Mind you, if they're on a disc you have to rip them to a SDHC first...

                                            Ellen Rose

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                              On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                                              > I went to 12 cons before ever watching an anime at a convention. Anime is
                                              > harder. If there's not an instant visual or thematic hook, most folks won't
                                              > give it more than an ep. Since women, particularly, as less visual and more
                                              > conceptual, we're less tolerant than guys (generally, generally, I know
                                              > there's exceptions to every rule...) of anime.

                                              "There aren't (m)any comics for girls because they read _real_ (not
                                              comic) books."

                                              Similarly, Lea Hernandez had _Romantic Times_ tell her that they
                                              considered CLOCKWORK ANGELS to be pornography (hence not suitable for
                                              review in the magazine) because it was visual material with sexual
                                              content. Never mind what most romance novels are like (which RT called
                                              "erotica").
                                            • Jaymie C
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                                Heh, looks like i missed out! My gateway yuri series (before i even knew the term existed) were A-ko, Sailor Moon, Utena. And now i gotta check out Idol Project and Kekko Kamen! But as for Oniisama E, well, there is a torrent floating online of rips from fansubs. Varying quality, but a series that is EXTREMELY hard to find otherwise.

                                                As for non-yuri gateways....Samurai Pizza Cats (looks shifty) what? it was FUNNY!