RE: [Yuricon] Question

  • Jaymie C
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
      Definitely Kannazuki; i mean, there is a yuri kiss right in the first episode! Sure, it is rather narm that there is also the guy crying out one of the girl's name into the heavens while they kiss at his feet, but...

      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008

        O_O

        OOPS!!!

        Guess I wasn't reading the original message closely enough!  Forget what I said!

        Blaine

        > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: alecto_fury@...
        > Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:02:08 -0400
        > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Question
        >

        > > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: bigkwell@...
        > Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:27:42 -0700
        > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Question
        >

        > > How about G Taste? One of my favorite yuri series.
        >
        > Is that meant as a joke? The question was about a school anime club and G-Taste is hardly suitable for any school setting.

        > http://www.yuricon.org

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > mailto:Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Wyld Childe
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
          LOL I like to think of that as shock upon seeing the smoochies, but then again he gives the girls their moment at the end so I gotta give him credit. I also think his placement helps because she CHOOSES the yuri when another option is available.

          DW

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
            Kashimashi lightly deals with themes of gender identity if it's of
            related interest, and a same-sex romance is at the heart of the
            gorgeous, metaphorical Utena movie--Pachy
          • Rinu CZ
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
              Hi Andi,

              I think it would be the best to choose few episode from different
              series if you want to catch a form of yuri and thanks to it tell your
              audience what to except. Like someone said, Shoujo Kakumei Utena movie
              would be nice move. It's a movie, so they wouldn't feel like watching
              only a sneak peek.

              Or what about grab couple of yuri series, give your audience a brief
              introduction to each series and let them choose? Yuri series are very
              different at some point. If I would be an audience, I would like to
              see a mixure - Utena (a way of art), Blue Drop (yuri can be sci-fi
              too), Oniisama E (old school innuendo yuri), Strawberry Panic (for
              rightful selection, fluffy genre), and Devilman Lady (dark yuri for
              adults - question is if you can show something like that in your
              campus group). Noir or Madlax are interesting without doubt, but I am
              afraid that it's one of series where you discover the yuri side in the
              progress, not in the beginning (and like I understood you want to
              catch them on yuri, not anime ^^).

              Good luck with your choice!

              With kind regards,

              Rinu

              2008/10/28 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
              > I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride union
              > (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night. Most likely
              > we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of a yaoi. I was
              > thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion for shows?

            • Rinu CZ
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                Ah, and Simoun is an interesting choice too for its yuri and yaoi
                connection. By the way, Loveless is yaoi and yuri too (7th and 8th
                episode?). It would be neat to show series where are both genres. Just
                thinking, sorry for the duple post ^^.

                R.

                2008/10/28 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
                > I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride union
                > (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night. Most likely
                > we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of a yaoi. I was
                > thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion for shows?

              • Nicole Allen
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                  OK, being gay, an anime fan, a teacher, the advisor for an anime club (high school) and being one who introduced students and friends to anime; I am going to get on a small soap box (I'm short, so I don't need a big one). I have to take many of these same things into consideration when choosing anime for the anime club or in some cases for showing my classes. When showing it to a class, I have to convince those students of the idea, else they'll just go to sleep. In your case, some people in the lgbt group may already be fans, and then you will have those who think anime is nothing but smutty/cheesy/stupid crap. Noir and Utena Movie would be very BAAAAD choices.

                  The purpose of this event is to meld together two organizations for the event, entertain, and maybe increase membership two fold; therefore, you want things that people will not have to "figure out" or have background knowledge of to understand what they're watching. Noir doesn't have enough pull, in my opinion, to catch non-anime people's attention. It's also very redundant. The Utena Movie is so packed full of imagery based upon its anime and a plot that is even harder to follow, that people will probably walk out. Kannazuki is ok, but I REALLY hate the fact that the female characters are so weak that they are ALWAYS (-_-*) bailed out by their male counterpart. Not really the message a lesbian would want to see (speaking from experience with my old lgbt organization).

                  Yes, you may still run into the people who will turn their noses up and would rather walk out to have a cigarette than watch, but these choices could make those choices easier or harder for them to make. Strawberry Panic, Blue Drop, and KashiMashi would work well; I really love Simoun, but that might also be difficult to follow for the novice viewer. My vote would be for Strawberry Panic since it doesn't have too much as far as fantastical elements, it has a little cheekiness, passion and it's easy to follow.

                  I haven't watched much in the yaoi department in the last few years, so I am of no help there. Note that I am not saying that these choices represent the best or worst of anime, but more and less successful choices for this situation. The best approach in this situation is to think about someone who have never viewed anime, because you want people to STAY and be part of the event and not walk out saying, "see, you can't understand that shit." But speaking as someone who has convinced some of the worst anime haters that it can be good, I step down.

                  Nic.

                  To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  From: smfan879@...
                  Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:24:10 -0700

                  Definitely Kannazuki; i mean, there is a yuri kiss right in the first episode! Sure, it is rather narm that there is also the guy crying out one of the girl's name into the heavens while they kiss at his feet, but...

                  I would recomend Steel Angel Kurumi (season 2 if you want hard yuri) or Kannazuki No Miko... plenty of yuri with the big robots, action and the like people think of with anime.

                  DarkWyldchilde

                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
                  lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

                  Benjamin Franklin

                  Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail. Try it
                • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                    The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show at club; the president  doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during regular club hours.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                      Ah, I see, how unfortunate. If it's so, I think your choices are nice
                      but in the case of Yamibou, I would avoid to choice it for its
                      controversial issue - romantic feeling between members of one family.
                      Someone couldn't agree with Kashimashi as yuri, but on the other side
                      it's the anime which is accepted by wild audience - like Strawberry
                      Panic -, so both should be okay :). And the main character is girlish
                      for whole time, after all. I guess it's fifty-fifty now, huh? Hard
                      decision.
                      Like I said I would present my choices (e.g. SP! and Kashimashi) and
                      let others choose. After all, if there will be some complains, you can
                      always say that it was them who chose not you, hehe.

                      Congrats that you persuaded the president of the club, by the way.

                      Rinu

                      2008/10/29 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
                      > The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and
                      > one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So
                      > unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou,
                      > Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show
                      > at club; the president doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He
                      > was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during
                      > regular club hours.

                    • Kimberly Thompson
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                        The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show at club; the president  doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during regular club hours.
                        That's so unfortunate that that the president of the Anime club is opposed to such anime themes. I wonder why.

                        Kimberly
                        On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Rinu CZ <rinucz@...> wrote:

                        Ah, I see, how unfortunate. If it's so, I think your choices are nice
                        but in the case of Yamibou, I would avoid to choice it for its
                        controversial issue - romantic feeling between members of one family.
                        Someone couldn't agree with Kashimashi as yuri, but on the other side
                        it's the anime which is accepted by wild audience - like Strawberry
                        Panic -, so both should be okay :). And the main character is girlish
                        for whole time, after all. I guess it's fifty-fifty now, huh? Hard
                        decision.
                        Like I said I would present my choices (e.g. SP! and Kashimashi) and
                        let others choose. After all, if there will be some complains, you can
                        always say that it was them who chose not you, hehe.

                        Congrats that you persuaded the president of the club, by the way.

                        Rinu

                        2008/10/29 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:

                        > The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and
                        > one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So
                        > unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou,
                        > Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show
                        > at club; the president doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He
                        > was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during
                        > regular club hours.

                      • Rinu CZ
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                          > That's so unfortunate that that the president of the Anime club is opposed
                          > to such anime themes. I wonder why.
                          Kimberly, it's a campus lbgt group ^^.

                          When I gave that a second thought, I agree with Nicole Allen. If
                          someone want me to show him/her yuri, I wouldn't give him/her
                          Kashimashi as an intro to the genre. So SP! is a reluctant but
                          probably right choice.

                          Rinu
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andi, Andi Spring, Spring"
                            <endlessdreamer13@...> wrote:

                            > I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride
                            union (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night.
                            Most likely we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of
                            a yaoi. I was thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any
                            suggestion for shows?

                            I suggest using Episodes 10 and 11 of Maria Watches Us. These are
                            the episodes dealing with Sei and Shiori's relationship and the
                            aftermath of the novel "Ibara no Mori" being published.

                            It's two episodes, it's a very genuine expression of love, not
                            pandering like Strawberry Panic, or surreal like Utena.

                            It's also a way of showing a simple, sincere and beautifgul Yuri
                            story that doesn't rely on fake kisses or behavior that makes actual
                            lesbians cringe.

                            (I'd also like to point out, quite randomly and off-topic, that Sei
                            is *not* a perv. She does not grope Yumi. She merely hugs her. The
                            shift from simply touching Yumi, or putting her arms around her to
                            somehow behaving like a dirty old man is 5% in Yumi's mind and 95%
                            in fandom's collective mind. lol)

                            Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                            http://okazu.blogspot.com
                          • twadli3400
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                              > (I'd also like to point out, quite randomly and off-topic, that Sei
                              > is *not* a perv. She does not grope Yumi. She merely hugs her. The
                              > shift from simply touching Yumi, or putting her arms around her to
                              > somehow behaving like a dirty old man is 5% in Yumi's mind and 95%
                              > in fandom's collective mind. lol)

                              (I think Yumi is justified for being slightly paranoid after Sei
                              reached inside her uniform to get that rosary out. :P)

                              What about the Battle Athletes OVA? You have obsession, deep bonds, and
                              even a little gender identity issue. Though I guess that would be a bit
                              too subtle.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "twadli3400" <twadli3400@...> wrote:

                                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@> wrote:
                                > > (I'd also like to point out, quite randomly and off-topic, that
                                Sei
                                > > is *not* a perv. She does not grope Yumi. She merely hugs her.
                                The
                                > > shift from simply touching Yumi, or putting her arms around her
                                > > somehow behaving like a dirty old man is 5% in Yumi's mind and
                                95%
                                > > in fandom's collective mind. lol)
                                > >

                                > (I think Yumi is justified for being slightly paranoid after Sei
                                > reached inside her uniform to get that rosary out. :P)

                                It's not like Sei reached into her blouse, she saw the rosary
                                visible at Yumi's collar. :-)

                                > What about the Battle Athletes OVA? You have obsession, deep
                                bonds, and even a little gender identity issue. Though I guess that
                                would be a bit too subtle.

                                That's the issue with a lot of Yuri - the Yuri exists in a
                                relationship that builds up over time. It's not one, obvious "zOMG!"
                                thing - and when it is, it's usually wretched. :-)

                                Also recommended is episode 106 of Sailor Moon S, Sailor Uranus'
                                origin episode.

                              • Kimberly Thompson
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                  The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show at club; the president  doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during regular club hours.
                                  Rinu,

                                  From what she stated above, I perceived it to be that she was talking about the anime club president, not the lbgt president. This a merging of the two clubs, correct?

                                  Not to open up a can of worms here, although I probably will. I just wanted to comment on a statement that Erica made, "It's two episodes, it's a very genuine expression of love, not pandering like Strawberry Panic, or surreal like Utena. It's also a way of showing a simple, sincere, and beautiful Yuri story that doesn't rely on fake kisses or behavior that makes actual lesbians cringe."

                                  You have a valid argument Erica. However, as a lesbian myself, I beg to disagree in regards to your statement upon what behavior makes lesbians cringe and what doesn't. Although, many of us, would like to say that we represent the collective in regards to our lesbian community, I highly feel that your making a huge generalization and oversimplication on what lesbians like and don't like, based upon what you like and don't like. In addition, there is just as much diversity in the lesbian community as there is with any other type of minority and I can say that although you and I probably have many similarities, we also have just as many differences. Finally, through this message board and your blog, you make explicity clear what makes you cringe and what doesn't and even though I may disagree with you, I do love you for that, because I do think you bring up a lot of valid arguments.  Yet, I can say, that you do not represent me and you will never represent me as to what behavior I find repulsive as a lesbian.

                                  Kimberly

                                  Kimberly