RE: [Yuricon] Mouryou no Hako Yuri Or Not Yuri

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2008
      From: kyouka_mitz@...
      Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 17:15:29 +0900
      Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Mouryou no Hako Yuri Or Not Yuri

      > As for Mouryou no Hako(魍魎の匣 a box of gobrin), it is not argued that much in the community of Yuri in Japan either, but this work is Yuri. I wonder that it is not recognized to be an important the Yuri work in Japan either.

      I'm just watching it now. It's interesting, but until I see more, I don't know if I think it's important. :-)

      > I read the original now, but the feelings that Kanako(加菜子) and Yoriko(頼子) which are a character have each other are Yuri clearly. It may be said that it is Yuri recognized very traditionally in Japan. They continue having the feelings.

      Do they? That's very interesting. And it gives me hope. :-)

      My opinion after only one watching one episode is that Yoriko's feelings are love, but I'm not sure about Kanako. It seems more like Narcissism to me (with Kanako's speech about them being the same person reborn...)

      > But this work in itself is mystery. The main subject is a thing that a writer and the secondhand bookseller who are not popular solve a case.

      That sounds very much like the kind of book I would enjoy. lol

      > It is my impression from here. I received a deep impression from Kanako Yuzuki of this work. She is the existence that
      gathered a concept called "literature girl" formed in Japan after modern times.It boasts when it means the truth, and
      she is high and beautiful.. In a true meaning. The loyalty to the beauty that she has is holy.
      I was made realize that I began with mind called the loyalty to such beauty irresistibly without grazing a Japanese Yuri.

      Hmm - this is very thought-provoking. It makes me rethink my own impressions. Thank you for your thoughts!

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/
    • Ariel Devorah
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2008
        (Also, is it just me or is the start of the ED blatantly ripping off
        Nirvana? :)
        ______

        That riff is a note or two off, but it's definitely "Rape Me" by
        Nirvana. LOL Perhaps there is some underlying message in that...

        The first episode was intriguing. The character designs, IMO, are "eh"
        but the creepiness is a plus. I'm curious to see what Yoriko and
        Kanako's relationship turns out to be. I have a feeling these
        characters will fall into the category of the previous topic of
        [Favorite] Undead Lesbians. I guess we shall see.

        Thanks for pointing this anime out. I missed it entirely when I was
        going through the list of new anime this season.

        -Ari
      • Nanchan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
          The ML talk, plus the promo image of Kanako and Yoriko lying in the flower-filled coffin, inspired me to check this one out, and man am I glad I did. It turns out Mouryou no Hako is based on novels by Kyougoku Natsuhiko, a really keen modern horror author. His work was also the basis for the anime series Hundred Stories, available from Geneon under the amusingly dorky retitle of Requiem from the Darkness, which was easily one of my favorite shows of 2005. There wasn't any yuri in that (well, maybe there were hints in the episode with the willow woman), and I'm not holding my breath for any in Mouryou either, although the relationship between the two girls does look like it could go somewhere. But regardless, I'll be following this avidly, since it looks like it'll be in the same vein: horror with realistic, interesting protagonists, a dose of black humor, and the author's marked fondness for things literary :D

          I've yet to start on the anime, but I did discover that there's a manga adaptation which has been picked up by new group Dark Tower Scanlations as their first project. You can download it from http://darktower-scan.com/ if you want, and you should - page 21 alone should make it worth the download for Yuricon MLers.

          ~ Nanchan