Re: Another crappy season - what are we all watching?

  • sarcastic_weasel
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 1, 2008
      > In place of Yuri, I'm watching stories about girls and women who kick
      > ass - Daughter of Twenty Faces, Yakushiji Ryoko No Kaiki Jikenbo,
      > Telepathy Shoujo Ran and heaven help me, Koihime Musou. lol

      I like Telepathy Shoujo Ran. I even went and bought some of the manga,
      because it's pretty easy to read for my level of Japanese. I may pick
      up a couple of the books as well, to see how readable they are for my
      level. The less looking up, the better. I can't tell how much longer
      it's going to run-- it's an NHK series, and they sometimes have
      oddball timing.

      Koihime Musou, huh? That was a pretty bad series, but for some reason
      I liked the ED. Total tunecrime. It's something to watch if you don't
      feel like thinking too much, and you just want to be distracted.

      Out of this past season, I liked:

      Wagaya no Oinari-sama-- it was serious at times, and just plain goofy
      at times, and it wasn't too heavy.

      Nogizaka Haruka-- it was totally and utterly calculated as an otaku
      cash grab, but it was cute. Noto Mamiko carries yet another series.

      Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto-Natsu no Sora-- the art/animation was
      cheap, and I didn't like the ending, but I liked most of it.

      ... and that's about it. I watched a bunch of other stuff, but, well,
      most of it wasn't very good. Entertaining, but not good. Sekirei was
      amusing (and totally gravity-defying), but not what I'd call "high
      art." That one probably gets an LFB rating of over 100... it's almost
      asymptotic.

      I've been meaning to watch Allison to Lillia, but I haven't gotten
      around to it yet.

      For the fall, I'm looking forward to:

      New Nodame Cantabile-- they're supposedly going to go to about volume
      16 of the manga. Mukya!

      ...and that's about it. There's a bunch of stuff coming out that
      "looks interesting," but there's no way to tell.

      Some of the "looks interesting" stuff is:
      Hakushaku to Yousei (hard to tell after one ep, I'll keep watching.)
      Hyakko
      Shikabane Hime Aka
      Kannagi
      TYTANIA (because I'm a sucker for a good space opera)

      Then there's the new MSGM in January (yay!). As long as I get my Touko
      fix, I'm happy. MSGM was my gateway drug to this genre.

      Recently, I've been rewatching some older stuff from the Noitamina
      block (Paradise Kiss, Nodame-- I should watch Honey and Clover again
      to round it all out), as well as Gokujou Seitokai (which is just a
      goofy series), and Moyashimon (fun series about bacteria,
      fermentation, and a little cross-dressing).

      I tried rewatching Stawberry Panic after the discussion here, but I
      couldn't do it-- I gave up after episode 4. Or rather, my brain
      threatened to use my spinal cord to strangle me if I watched any more. XD

      A couple of anime bloggers have done thorough rundowns of the fall
      season, including links to trailers, so I thought I would share the links:

      Omni at Random Curiosity listed by starting air date:
      http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2008/09/29/fall-2008-preview/

      And Hashihime did the list alphabetically:
      http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2008/09/46-new-fall-anime-full-previews-story.html
    • vanezzania
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 1, 2008
        I'm watching Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora and the english dubs are pretty
        good actually

        Posted through Grouply, the better way
        to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
        http://www.grouply.com/?code=post