Re: [Yuricon] Need quality yuri titles...

  • Erin Subramanian
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008
      tiffanysilapajarun wrote:

      >Dear Friends,
      >
      >I'm new to this community and yuri in general so I'd really appreciate
      >a few title recommendations (if you give me the titles, I'll use that
      >to search through your old messages).

      If you're interested, I have a list of popular and good (some of each
      and some of both, so there will probably be titles in there that you
      will not consider "quality") yuri manga here:
      http://mizuno-youko.livejournal.com/68245.html

      Erin
    • Jen
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008

        > because western fans really didn't catch the references... they
        missed the joke and insist on taking it seriously.

        Sometimes, when a yuri gal inexplicably transforms into a motor car,
        it's a metaphor; and sometimes, there is no metaphor. She just turned
        into a godamned car.

        Sometimes, you just gotta sit back and enjoy the ride. ^__^

        - Jen
      • pachy_boy
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>
          wrote:

          > Strawberry Panic was a series that openly and obviously ripped off
          many other Yuri series. It was meant as a kind of in-joke for Yuri
          fans.

          > Because fandumb as a whole has no sense of humor and insists on
          assuming that everything they like must therefore be good -
          > and because western fans really didn't catch the references (even
          the ones that they *had* seen from recent anime)- they missed the
          > joke and insist on taking it seriously.

          You can believe shows like Strawberry Panic or something similar are
          something good to you, while acknowledging everybody's comments about
          it not being good. You can read these comments that bash the show,
          maybe even laugh with them if not wholly take them to heart, and once
          you're done if you feel like watching the show again and enjoying it
          then that's all there is to it. I admit that I took this show
          seriously the first time I watched it, but that was before I joined
          this mailing list. Now I do acknowledge Strawberry Panic as a parody
          meant to be light entertainment, but that's mainly what I enjoy it
          for when I sit and watch it--Pachy
        • mara_papimer
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "pachy_boy" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Because fandumb as a whole has no sense of humor and insists on
            > >assuming that everything they like must therefore be good -
            > > and because western fans really didn't catch the references (even
            > >the ones that they *had* seen from recent anime)- they missed the
            > > joke and insist on taking it seriously.
            >
            > You can believe shows like Strawberry Panic or something similar are
            > something good to you, while acknowledging everybody's comments about
            > it not being good. You can read these comments that bash the show,
            > maybe even laugh with them if not wholly take them to heart, and once
            > you're done if you feel like watching the show again and enjoying it
            > then that's all there is to it.

            Why should anyone take anyone's comments to heart, ever? Why should
            the opinion of anyone affect anyone else, ever?

            This is anime, correct? Either you like it and watch it or you do not
            like it and thus do not watch it. Those are the only two options.

            Other peoples opinions are simply other people being accommodating
            enough to explain their views on a subject for their
            readers/listeners/viewers. How can something that passive affect
            something like anime that by the time of viewing has already been
            completed?
          • Amanda
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Firia L <Firia_Lyta@...> wrote:

              > I wanna know how Strawberry Panic is not Quality. It filled me with
              such joy and sorrow, that I'd put it right on the top shelf, next to
              Revelutionary Girl Utena. :)

              > -L
              >

              > To: Yuricon@...: pachy_boy@...: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:05:09
              +0000Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Need quality yuri titles...

              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "tiffanysilapajarun" <silapa@>
              wrote:>> Dear Friends,> > I'm new to this community and yuri in
              general so I'd really appreciate> a few title recommendations (if you
              give me the titles, I'll use that> to search through your old
              messages). I will use the titles to> populate a store:
              http://www.yaoiandyuri.com which is connected to a> blog where I hope
              to invite people to review quality titles.Devil LadyBattle
              AthletesKashimashi(following two may not be 'quality' but are still
              popular)Kannazuki no MikoStrawberry Panic

              > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
              Windows Live.
              > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

              I think the manga Girl Friends by Morinaga Milk is a good one. I
              actually like it better than Strawberry Shake Sweet.
            • iatheia
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008
                Mm... Yes, I do agree, it is meant to be a bit on the silly side. Now
                that I am more versed among different yuri titles, I can clearly see
                that. But that being said, there is a plot. It may be a weird plot,
                but many people find it enjoyable. It very well may be nothing but a
                melting pot of all the other plots that were already made combined,
                but it is there, nontheless. And every time I watch SutoPani, I
                simply enjoy watching it, forgeting all the negatives I've been told.
                I become involved in it, time after time. And reading the comments of
                many other people, I came to realise that they feel the same way.
                Even the critics who say that it is nothing but a trash say that they
                found it entertaining.

                And there is no such thing as too unoriginal. Even a story told
                thousands of times in many different yet similar manners can still be
                good depending on how it is told.

                So, you may love it, you may hate it, but it definatelly leaves an
                impression on you. Isn't that a requirement for a good anime?

                > > You can believe shows like Strawberry Panic or something similar
                are
                > > something good to you, while acknowledging everybody's comments
                about
                > > it not being good. You can read these comments that bash the
                show,
                > > maybe even laugh with them if not wholly take them to heart, and
                once
                > > you're done if you feel like watching the show again and enjoying
                it
                > > then that's all there is to it.
                >
                > Why should anyone take anyone's comments to heart, ever? Why should
                > the opinion of anyone affect anyone else, ever?
                >
                > This is anime, correct? Either you like it and watch it or you do
                not
                > like it and thus do not watch it. Those are the only two options.
                >
                > Other peoples opinions are simply other people being accommodating
                > enough to explain their views on a subject for their
                > readers/listeners/viewers. How can something that passive affect
                > something like anime that by the time of viewing has already been
                > completed?

              • Amanda
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 29, 2008
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "iatheia" <iatheia@...> wrote:

                  > Mm... Yes, I do agree, it is meant to be a bit on the silly side.
                  Now
                  > that I am more versed among different yuri titles, I can clearly
                  see
                  > that. But that being said, there is a plot. It may be a weird plot,
                  > but many people find it enjoyable. It very well may be nothing but
                  > melting pot of all the other plots that were already made combined,
                  > but it is there, nontheless. And every time I watch SutoPani, I
                  > simply enjoy watching it, forgeting all the negatives I've been
                  told.
                  > I become involved in it, time after time. And reading the comments
                  of
                  > many other people, I came to realise that they feel the same way.
                  > Even the critics who say that it is nothing but a trash say that
                  they
                  > found it entertaining.
                  >
                  > And there is no such thing as too unoriginal. Even a story told
                  > thousands of times in many different yet similar manners can still
                  be
                  > good depending on how it is told.
                  >
                  > So, you may love it, you may hate it, but it definatelly leaves an
                  > impression on you. Isn't that a requirement for a good anime?
                  >

                  > > > You can believe shows like Strawberry Panic or something
                  similar
                  > are
                  > > > something good to you, while acknowledging everybody's comments
                  > about
                  > > > it not being good. You can read these comments that bash the
                  > show,
                  > > > maybe even laugh with them if not wholly take them to heart,
                  and
                  > once
                  > > > you're done if you feel like watching the show again and
                  enjoying
                  > it
                  > > > then that's all there is to it.
                  > >
                  > > Why should anyone take anyone's comments to heart, ever? Why
                  should
                  > > the opinion of anyone affect anyone else, ever?
                  > >
                  > > This is anime, correct? Either you like it and watch it or you do
                  > not
                  > > like it and thus do not watch it. Those are the only two options.
                  > >
                  > > Other peoples opinions are simply other people being accommodating
                  > > enough to explain their views on a subject for their
                  > > readers/listeners/viewers. How can something that passive affect
                  > > something like anime that by the time of viewing has already been
                  > > completed?

                  The same way I am with Kannazuki no Miko. The plot is ridiculous but
                  there is something about the connection between Himeko and Chikane.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda" <mandygirl78@...> wrote:

                    > The same way I am with Kannazuki no Miko. The plot is ridiculous but
                    > there is something about the connection between Himeko and Chikane.

                    The only reason I ever point out a series' weakness it to maintain a
                    sanity check for fandom in general. It's *always* okay to enjoy a
                    series for whatever reason. What becomes problematic is if you,
                    because you like a series, become deranged about it. lol

                    I like plenty of stuff that is not well-written or is otherwise
                    junkified through massive service, truck-sized holes in the plot,
                    gigantic ripoffs. But to maintain my grasp of reality, I like to make
                    sure I can tell the difference between a Thomas Pynchon novel and a
                    volume of "Hakodate Youjin Burajou Himegami." (Which I like *very*
                    much, but you'll never catch me saying that it's "good." lol)

                    We have a rule and a corollary we go by within the Yuricon staff:

                    --Just because you like something, doesn't mean it's good.

                    and the corollary:

                    --Just because something's bad, doesn't mean you can't like it.

                    As mara pointed out - these are just cartoons and comics. Worrying
                    what anyone else thinks is a tremendous waste of time. :-)

                  • tiffanysilapajarun
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                      Thank you *very *much for all your replies and I am compiling a list based
                      on your recommendations.

                      (^_^)
                    • Wyld Childe
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                        I think a good way to look at this discussion is like going to a Star Trek convention and shouting out "Who's better Kirk or Picard?" and then duck.

                        It's human nature to think the things you love are the best while the things you don't aren't so good. I'm just happy to see that perspective is still being kept.

                        I've listed before, I'll list again.

                        Strawberry Panic
                        Kannzuki No Miko
                        Steel Angel Kurumi (Season 2 is full on yuri, 1 isn't.)

                        Dark Wyldchilde

                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
                        lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

                        Benjamin Franklin
                      • Kimberly Thompson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                          Although, probably 8 months ago I would've said that my favorite was Strawberry Panic. After seeing others and researching others, I would say it's probably still among my favorite top 5, but definately not my all time favorite, (I think my top has now become Blue Drop or My Zhime).

                          However, I can say though that I do find Strawberry Panic extremely interesting in comparison to the explicit sexuality of it. Not saying that other Yuri titles are not, but from my perspective it seems to be a little bit more explicit then others.

                          As far as the fanservice that many people talk about it, it doesn't really matter to me on a personal level whether its placating to fanservice or not. If I enjoy it, then I enjoy it. On an academic level, it seems to me that there are many underlying social constructs, that maybe we're not aware of yet, for the purpose of it.

                          Kimberly

                          On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Wyld Childe <wyldchilde37@...> wrote:

                          I think a good way to look at this discussion is like going to a Star Trek convention and shouting out "Who's better Kirk or Picard?" and then duck.

                          It's human nature to think the things you love are the best while the things you don't aren't so good. I'm just happy to see that perspective is still being kept.

                          I've listed before, I'll list again.

                          Strawberry Panic
                          Kannzuki No Miko
                          Steel Angel Kurumi (Season 2 is full on yuri, 1 isn't.)

                          Dark Wyldchilde

                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
                          lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

                          Benjamin Franklin

                        • ecchi_anime_fan
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Thompson" <drumweezer@...>
                            wrote:

                            >"As far as the fanservice that many people talk about it, it doesn't
                            >really matter to me on a personal level whether its placating to
                            >fanservice or not. If I enjoy it, then I enjoy it."

                            I completely agree with you about that, Kimberly.

                            -Bill
                          • tiffanysilapajarun
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erin Subramanian <esubramanian1@...>
                              wrote:

                              (^_^) I love your discussions on Strawberry Panic and other titles
                              which are more parody than a "serious" work. Regardless of the genre,
                              whether it's considered to be trash, one thing is for certain if it
                              entertains then it required a degree of skill by the mangaka.

                              It's art not everyone is going to love it.

                              My store is better off from your recommendations.
                            • Kimberly Thompson
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                                What do you define as a "serious" work?

                                I would say that, for me, all Yuri anime and manga is "serious" work. I think by denying them that authority it undermines the creators, producers, artists, writers, and fans or individuals who trully love this art form.

                                Regardless, if it is fanservice/parody, these animes and mangas are still works and I would definately say that for most of us, consciously or subconscously we perceive them as that. Otherwise, why would there be a yahoo group for individuals who love it. Furthermore, I don't think you would be making a store, if you didn't consider it enticing and lucrative.

                                Sorry folks, my grad class in Ethnic American Literature has been debating this subject for several weeks now. This concept of "serious" vs. "non-serious" work is a serious matter to us Cultural Studies/Multicultural Literature folks.

                                Kimberly

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                                  wrote:

                                  > What do you define as a "serious" work?
                                  ********************************

                                  Hello I used the term "serious" tongue-in-cheek, hence the quotes.
                                  Some mangaka may strive for a literary narrative, some prefer fun/hip,
                                  some dark and moody. All of it, to me, is art.

                                  I know what you mean about your class discussing these labels. I
                                  spent alot of time discussing these labels as well in my history courses.

                                  Sincerely,
                                  Tiffany ~ Silapa Jarun
                                  www.yaoiandyuri.com

                                  (still trying my best to find the licensed stuff on Amazon) (^_^)
                                • tiffanysilapajarun
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                                    wrote:

                                    Furthermore, I don't think you
                                    > would be making a store, if you didn't consider it enticing and
                                    lucrative.

                                    "Regardless of the genre,
                                    whether it's considered to be trash, one thing is for certain if it
                                    entertains then it required a degree of skill by the mangaka."

                                    I don't place a value on what is good or bad.

                                    "It's art not everyone is going to love it."

                                    That's why we have a variety of manga. People have a variety of
                                    opinions on everything.

                                    I was close to the art dept, when I was an undergrad and a film was
                                    shown where the instructor of the class lay naked in a tube of mayo
                                    and placed it side by side with the Mona Lisa.

                                    Different works of art--but still art for sure (^_^).
                                  • Kimberly Thompson
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                                      Well that's cool. Sorry if I seemed on edge. The whole "serious"  or not "serious" debate makes me cringe at times and wants me to stick my fingers in my ears and scream, "la, la, la, la, I can't hear you!"

                                      By the way, for many of you who still remember me. I did that God AWFUL, PIECE of CRAP paper j/k on Yuri (i really don't think its awful, just i think i'm awful). Well, after speaking to the head of my department and to the graduate program, it seems that they will allow me to do my thesis on yuri animation and/or manga. I will be creating my prospectus quite soon and we'll be presenting it to get the final ok. Before that though, I will have to create my committee, which involves usually 4 to 5 professors from various schools of thought that I will be defending and argueing my thesis to. I think its been decided two individuals so far. One is the director of film studies in the English Department. The other is one of the professors in Asian Literature/Asian Cultural Studies. The other two, I have no idea and the final one will probably be my past/previous advisor in the Anthropology department.

                                      PLUS! I will be sending an abstract of the paper that I did so far to SEUSA. SEUSA is the South East Women Studies Association. If it gets accepted, then I will be presenting the paper or findings at the conference.

                                      Kimberly

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 30, 2008
                                        I agree with you 100 percent.

                                        Kimberly