Shoujaoi ni Bokuen, Issue 90

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Shoujoai ni Bokuen: The Adventures of Yuriko

      The Story So Far: The school festival has brought Yuriko several revelations
      - and some surprising insight into the people around her. She's not sure
      what it all means yet, but she's willing to wait it out. In the mean time,
      there's a play to be watched.

      Volume 5, Issue 16

      "The Final Hurdle"

      "Where have you been?" Midori whispered, as Yuriko seated herself. The house
      lights had already been lowered.

      "All over," Yuriko confessed. "I'll tell you later."

      Midori made as if to speak once more, but Yuriko put a finger on her lips
      and shushed her. Midori made a face and they turned towards the stage.

      "The Tale of Genji" was a lush production covering several of the more
      romantic and popular moments from the famous novel by Lady Murasaki Shinobu.
      Yuriko was impressed with Sato's genteel seductiveness and fresh-faced
      charm. She made a mental note to ask him if he was interested in acting,
      then made a second mental note to tease Sayaka about it. As the last act
      wound down towards an ending rich with unfulfilled longing and pleasant
      melancholy, Yuriko found herself thinking about the story Sawako-sensei had
      told her. 'Because I'm an emotionless monster. Just like you.' She nodded to
      the memory.

      Applause brought her out of her reverie and Yuriko joined hers to the rest
      of the audience's. She looked around as the lights went up, noting Aya and
      Jun several rows back, and Ruriko-sensei on Mariko's left. As her eyes met
      Ruriko-sensei's Yuriko gave her a wink. Allies among the faculty, huh�well
      that little remark made more sense now.

      Curtain calls brought the main players back on stage and Yuriko found
      herself cheering as a happily blushing Sayaka presented flowers to an
      equally blushing Sato. Was young love really that goopy? Yuriko felt a light
      pressure on her arm and looked down to see Midori looking up at her with
      warm eyes. She smiled down at the woman and laughed at herself. The answer,
      it would appear, she thought to herself as she turned her attention back to
      the stage, would be a resounding *yes.*

      Her own mini-concert went well. She began with a medley of popular love
      songs, announcing that she was dedicating this show to love. The audience
      appeared to approve because the screams and cheers were extremely loud.
      Yuriko smiled down flirtatiously at Midori - at which another cheer
      reverberated through the room.

      Yuriko followed this up with the first-ever performance of the opening theme
      to "The Best Years of Our Lives," along with some of her best-known hits.
      She finished up with a re-mixed version of an 8th century love poem set to
      traditional Japanese music. By the time Yuriko sang the chorus the third
      time, she could see some of her audience singing along. With a flourish she
      sang the chorus once again, just to hear their voices.

      I wish I were close
      To you as the wet skirt of
      A salt girl to her body.
      I think of you always.

      Yuriko ended her performance with a kiss blown at the audience and a wave.
      She stepped down off the stage, took the flowers that were held out to her
      and laughed at the complete lack of people who wanted autographs. It seemed,
      Mariko commented later, that there wasn't anyone left in the school that
      didn't have it already.

      Back in the gymnasium, the band was raring to go, and refreshments were
      waiting. Yuriko and Midori, accompanied by nearly the entire basketball team
      and their dates, entered the room as a victorious general might. While
      hundreds of eyes watched them, Yuriko turned to Midori, took her in her arms
      and began to dance.

      Midori watched Yuriko through half-lidded eyes. "I'm not sure which is worse
      - being an object of media attention for your benefit, or having all these
      children watching us."

      Yuriko smiled apologetically. "At least here no one's taking pictures." She
      spun them around and found herself facing into a camera lens, while the
      photographer for the school paper shouted, "Cheese!" When her vision
      cleared, Yuriko found herself the subject of a piercingly sarcastic gaze
      from Midori.

      "Uh-huh." The writer said.

      After the first dance was over, Yuriko found her dance card filled by nearly
      every girl in the school. She watched as Midori accepted an invitation to
      dance from Ryo, who looked even more beautiful in a tux than he did usually.
      They made such a magnificent couple, that Yuriko actually found herself
      suffering pangs of jealousy for a moment. In revenge, she chose to dance
      with Ruriko-sensei, who was delighted to show off.

      "Would you believe," she said to the blonde as they walked onto the dance
      floor, "that I haven't danced yet since�"

      "Well, then," Yuriko said quickly, not wanting to think about that affair
      and all it had cost the gym teacher, "let's make 'em jealous."

      They could see Mariko dancing with one of the boys from the basketball team
      - and Hachigoro watching darkly from the sidelines until a cute young thing
      wormed him out onto the dance floor. Yuriko laughed at the look on Mariko's
      face when she saw them. "There's trouble a-brewin' over thar," she affected
      a badly done western accent.

      Ruriko grinned, "I'm more concerned about over thar," she gestured with her
      chin where her fiancee' stood glowering at them. Yuriko smiled, then wheeled
      them over to that side of the floor, until Ruriko's fianc�e had no choice
      but to ask to cut in. Yuriko handed the coach over gracefully, giving her a
      surreptitious wink when he couldn't see it.

      Mariko next, followed by a series of adorably blushing girls, followed by a
      quick dance with Midori, who was whisked away by another athletic-looking
      lad. Yuriko was beginning to get a complex. She had hoped to have a dance
      with Sayaka or Aya, but when she saw them swaying happily in the arms of
      their respective beaux, she decided that discretion was the better part of
      butting out.

      She turned away to have a drink and found herself facing Sawako-sensei. He
      bowed formally and before she even had a chance to think about it, found
      herself halfway onto the floor accompanied by the math teacher. He was a
      surprisingly good dancer, if a little stiff, and Yuriko found herself in the
      unusual, but not completely unknown, position of following someone else's
      lead.

      By the time she made her way to the refreshment table, Yuriko was hot and
      tired, and ready for a break. Midori, Mariko and Hachi met her as she
      approached and joined her in a drink.

      "You're awfully red, Yuri," Mari said mildly. "You wouldn't be, oh,
      embarrassed, would you?"

      "I'm just warm," Yuriko grumped, not meeting anyone's eyes, and ignoring the
      snorts of laughter that came from her companions.

      By the time Yuriko was ready to dance once more, she found herself
      confronted by a smiling Ryo. "I can't be beat by a stuffy old teacher now,
      can I?" he asked with a grin.

      "Not hardly!" Yuriko said and took his arm. As they danced, she noticed once
      again that she looked almost directly into his eyes. "You know," she mused,
      "we must look like a gay couple, don't you?"

      Ryo grinned, "Is there something wrong with that?"

      Yuriko looked startled. "Uh, no, it's just that most guys don't like to�."
      Her voice petered out slowly as she watched the boy's expression. "Sheesh,"
      she muttered, "zero for three�" Her face cleared as an idea sprang into her
      head. "You don't happen to know a freshman named Togai, do you?" Ryo shook
      his head. "I'll try and introduce you." Yuriko said with a big grin.

      The night had worn down, the last dance had ended. Thanks were being made,
      from the performers to the setup crew, to the general student body. As the
      Principal made ready to end the night, he asked Yuriko to step up and say a
      few words.

      Yuriko took the mike and looked around the room for a moment, trying to
      think of what to say. She glanced at Midori, who smiled at her
      encouragingly.

      "I have so many people to thank that we could be here for hours," Yuriko
      admitted. "I look out over the crowd tonight and instead of seeing fans and
      admirers, I see nothing but friends. I know I've only been here a few
      months, but I feel like it's been years." Laughter moved through the room
      quietly.

      "And while I won't be in for class on Monday," Yuriko grinned broadly at her
      erstwhile math teacher, "so I won't be able to hand in that dreadful
      assignment you gave us," she turned her eyes back to the crowd at large, "I
      don't want to think of it as if I've left for good." She took a deep breath
      and brushed a finger across the corner of her eye. "Some of you might know
      that I never graduated high school, so if it's alright with all of you," her
      voice cracked, "I'd really like to think of this school as my alma mater."
      Yuriko put the mic in the stand and grabbed the handkerchief from her
      pocket, as the entire crowd went ballistic, shouting and cheering.

      As Yuriko stepped away from the microphone, the Principal took it up and
      waited for the crowd to calm down. Keeping his eyes fixed on the idol he
      said quietly, "Graduation is on April 4th at 8PM. I'll expect to see you
      there."

      Yuriko smiled through her tears and bowed. "I'll be there."

      To Be Continued

      Shoujoai ni Bokuen, all characters and situation, copyright 2001, E.
      Friedman

    • zephyr_dudette
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
        alright everybody, all together now:

        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

        ^_~

        -Zeph
        *wipes a tear from the corner of her eye*
      • shane Jayell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
          Shane smiles happily. Kawaii, but good. The ending
          sequence was very nice, and I'm a lookin' forward to
          the next chapters.

          Have I raved abot your Gundam W fic No promises here
          yet? :)

          Shane

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
            >From: shane Jayell <shanejayell2000@...>

            >Shane smiles happily. Kawaii, but good. The ending
            >sequence was very nice, and I'm a lookin' forward to
            >the next chapters.

            Well, there's only one chapter left to go. :-)

            >Have I raved abot your Gundam W fic No promises here
            >yet? :)

            I think so, but feel free to do so again. LOL

            Thanks -I'm glad you liked it.

            AniLesboCon 2001 - "For real women who like their women...animated."
            http://anilesbocon.shoujoai.com/

          • awill
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
              shane Jayell wrote:

              > Shane smiles happily. Kawaii, but good. The ending
              > sequence was very nice, and I'm a lookin' forward to
              > the next chapters.

              Me too, but I'm sorta miffed that Yuriko didn't have a
              memorable dance with Kaori. I feel the need for a mooshy
              closure on their relationship. But that's what I get for
              falling in love with Kaori... *sigh*.

              Byakko

              > Have I raved abot your Gundam W fic No promises here
              > yet? :)
              >
              > Shane

            • Alex Picchetti
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
                (Spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the episode yet...? ^^;;)

                <<"Not hardly!" Yuriko said and took his arm. As they danced, she noticed once
                again that she looked almost directly into his eyes. "You know," she mused,
                "we must look like a gay couple, don't you?"

                Ryo grinned, "Is there something wrong with that?"

                Yuriko looked startled. "Uh, no, it's just that most guys don't like to.."
                Her voice petered out slowly as she watched the boy's expression. "Sheesh,"
                she muttered, "zero for three." Her face cleared as an idea sprang into her
                head. "You don't happen to know a freshman named Togai, do you?" Ryo shook
                his head. "I'll try and introduce you." Yuriko said with a big grin.>>
                *ROTFL* finally! Someone whose gaydar is as defective as mine! Yuriko is my hero ;)

                -Alex (who is in a silly mood)
                AFU no Ikuhara ^_~
                I have seen the Harry Potter movie _4_ times now. Draco Draco Draco!
                "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. Red hair and hand-me-down robes... you must be a Weasley." -Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone