Re: [Yuricon] Re: good news for FF fans

  • Minionmancer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi again!

      What I don't understand is why FFX has such shoddy sound customization. Adding a separate volume control for the voices is not difficult. Turning off subtitles shouldn't be a massive undertaking either. Considering how sensitive fans are over the dub/sub issue, Square has no valid reason in not inlcluding at least one of these options.
      I have seen other games made with a much smaller budget (ie, Rhapsody, a PSX mahou-shoujo RPG) that includes both an English AND Japanese track. Recently, Square released the Bouncer, a mediocre fighting/cinema game that had English and Japanese options. If Square lets players decide how they wish to experience a brief, cheesy game with minimal dialogue, why not an epic RPG?
    • mugenharuka
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
        Regarding FFX and Dubbing:

        My speculation is this. Squaresoft spent some money getting psuedo
        name voice actors to dub their game into English. This *probably*
        was the case in Japan as well -- I don't know. Again, speculation.

        So, with all the financial problems Square has had recently (ahem --
        FF:SW), I would guess that paying royalties to the Japanese actors
        for the American distrobution of the game, not to mention paying the
        American actors to dub it ... it's just not the cheapest way to
        produce the USA version of the game. This isn't even taking into
        consideration the possiblities of fidelity and the *huge* amounts of
        audio that they needed to pack onto the dvd.

        Who knows? Maybe I'm way off base. But it sounds like an
        intelligent guess to me. Granted, it doesn't make me Like the game
        any more (I can't turn off the sound because I love the music, but I
        can't play the game because of the voices ...) but at least I think I
        understand where Square is coming from.

        Now. What I *can't* understand is -- the *only* time there is
        Japanese in the game ... i.e., the Song, they *didn't* subtitle it.
        That just seems lazy to me.

        -MugenHaruka.