Re: [Yuricon] Re: good news for FF fans

  • Thomas Scroggs
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
      *Sigh* do what I do people, leave the subtitles on and turn the volume
      down. There is a only a minimal of sound during most speaking parts so
      just mute it.

      katyae0211 wrote:

      > --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
      > > Sorry for going back to this but I know how many of you are upset
      > over the
      > > Dubbing of FFX and I just found out some good news. It turns out
      > there is
      > > going to be an "International FFX" Released sometime n the next few
      > months
      > > which boosts to be in Japanese with English or Japanese subtitles.
      > If this
      > > is true then I'm a Square soft beleiver again... I really hope this
      > isn't
      > > some line of crap the store was giving me to stop me from turning
      > away from
      > > the PS2 entirely.
      > >
      > > Well here is a hope to what the new year will bring
      > >
      > > Happy new year all
      >
      > I fear it is a line of crap from the store, since I found no mention
      > of such a thing on Square's website.
      >
      > Katya
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > [Image]

    • dziwozony
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
        --- In Yuricon@y..., Thomas Scroggs <trscroggs@y...> wrote:
        > *Sigh* do what I do people, leave the subtitles on and turn the
        > volume down. There is a only a minimal of sound during most
        > speaking parts so just mute it.

        But the thing that makes me angry about this option (which everyone
        has offered me) is that I love FF music and I find that the music is
        really important to the immersion. So many games have separate volume
        controls for FX and music... I just wish they'd given us at least that
        in FF10.

        Jude
      • Minionmancer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
          An bilingual FFX would be wonderful. Where did you find this news, Kat, and is the going to be a US relase, or a release in other countries?

          Maybe I WILL get a PS2 after all...
        • Minionmancer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
            Hi again!

            What I don't understand is why FFX has such shoddy sound customization. Adding a separate volume control for the voices is not difficult. Turning off subtitles shouldn't be a massive undertaking either. Considering how sensitive fans are over the dub/sub issue, Square has no valid reason in not inlcluding at least one of these options.
            I have seen other games made with a much smaller budget (ie, Rhapsody, a PSX mahou-shoujo RPG) that includes both an English AND Japanese track. Recently, Square released the Bouncer, a mediocre fighting/cinema game that had English and Japanese options. If Square lets players decide how they wish to experience a brief, cheesy game with minimal dialogue, why not an epic RPG?
          • mugenharuka
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
              Regarding FFX and Dubbing:

              My speculation is this. Squaresoft spent some money getting psuedo
              name voice actors to dub their game into English. This *probably*
              was the case in Japan as well -- I don't know. Again, speculation.

              So, with all the financial problems Square has had recently (ahem --
              FF:SW), I would guess that paying royalties to the Japanese actors
              for the American distrobution of the game, not to mention paying the
              American actors to dub it ... it's just not the cheapest way to
              produce the USA version of the game. This isn't even taking into
              consideration the possiblities of fidelity and the *huge* amounts of
              audio that they needed to pack onto the dvd.

              Who knows? Maybe I'm way off base. But it sounds like an
              intelligent guess to me. Granted, it doesn't make me Like the game
              any more (I can't turn off the sound because I love the music, but I
              can't play the game because of the voices ...) but at least I think I
              understand where Square is coming from.

              Now. What I *can't* understand is -- the *only* time there is
              Japanese in the game ... i.e., the Song, they *didn't* subtitle it.
              That just seems lazy to me.

              -MugenHaruka.