Re: Hidamari Sketch (aka "Sunshine Sketch") manga

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 3:44 AM

      > ...can I just borrow this review for Okazu? I'm way too lazy busy to
      write one myself and this one seemed pretty coherent.

      That's... the most delightful comment I've had from anyone this month.
      Take that, 6th grade English Lit teacher Ms Nolan: I'm COHERANT.

      (In all serious, I'm thoroughly complemented. Ain't it amazing how
      random complements make you feel all... aw shucks.) ^__^

      Meanwhile, don't you HATE IT when you wonder if anyone's replied to
      your ramblings, and no-one has for days, but it turns out they did and
      you just missed it completely?

      I suck.

      In other news, I've started watching the HIDAMARI SKETCH anime. Fun,
      but I feel lucky I read the first book, because the anime doesn't
      really go out of it's way to introduce the series premise. You're not
      really sure who the characters are, where they are, what they're doing
      there, how they got there and why. They're just... there. Cue
      day-to-day hijinks.

      But then, it's a character driven show, so there's that. Like Friends
      or Seinfeld: it's just characters in a room together, so let them talk
      and express and choose your favourite. Of course, a character I'm
      growing fond of is the fansub group. You occasionaly get snarky
      narrating comments on top of the screen, and they're often hilarious.

      "Can't show that in a christian anime."

      Amusement at it's finest. Especially when they run with a gag.

      Right now I'm up to episode #5, and it's one of the best. Yuno has
      the flu, and the whole episode takes a dreamy, surrealist drug-trip
      direction. Things get quite abstract, and often veer into Utena
      territory. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. Plus yuri and pervy fans
      get to see Miyako do the "my best friends would NEVER do that" bit and
      sweetly undress and redress a sleeping feverish Yuno. Going above and
      beyond in caring for a sickly best friend without once thinking weird
      of it... but I suppose where Miyako's concerned, she's the
      faux-western character who would naturally do many a physical/societal
      thing that would make your stereotypical timid Nihonjin uncomfortable.
      The surreal atmosphere really enhanced the scene... but then, it's
      enhancing EVERYTHING. For the best.

      I'll get back to finishing this episode, as I'm eager as heck... but
      another quick comment of yuri sproutings seen in this series before I
      resume. I thought it rather eye-rollingly bold/blatant when I saw how
      they included the Sae/Hiro pairing in the anime intro sequence (ie.
      draped over each other, suprised to see who's seen this
      "not-what-it-looks-like-scene, cue Yuno all "OMG PARDON ME"), but you
      still get some cute in-episode needling now and then. My favourite is
      during karaoke, when Hiro gives Sae a REALLY DEEP look and says Sae's
      voice is beautiful, and she wants to listen to more... which
      completely sends Sae off the rails and destroys her ability to hold a
      tone and makes her go all "what what uh see hang on toilet break
      toilet break scuse me bye!" Leaving Hiro to give the gang a satisfied
      sly grin. Cute.

      Anyway, back to Yuno's fever dreams. Damn entertaining!

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen