RE: [Yuricon] Mariasama ga miteru US release

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: adam@...
      > Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:47:12 +0100
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Mariasama ga miteru US release
      >
      > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:05:42 -0400, Albert Lunde
      > wrote:
      >
      >> I got my copy of season one, preordered from Rightstuff, yesterday.
      >
      > Mine arrived today, and somehow even managed not to get whacked with a
      > ridiculous customs charge.

      I also got mine, after having to have the media rep "release" it from being bundled with the other two seasons...

      > After watching the with-honorifics sub track (because the phrase "Lady
      > Sachiko" makes me shudder every time) I have to say it seems like Right
      > Stuf have done a very nice job of things.

      I agree. Overall, I was able to sit back and just enjoy the story all over again (and omg, how bad is the animation...)
      without thinking about the translation.

      The menus are pleasantly
      > unintrusive, and there's no unskippable junk at the start of the
      > discs. The translation reads well, and everything looks very pretty
      > indeed. They even do a nice job at conveying the changes in tone
      > between Sachiko's cultured formality and Sei's playfully random
      > informality.

      Yes, I noticed that as well. :)

      > My one nit would be that "Yamayuri Council" seems something of an odd
      > choice of phrasing, given that they then have to tie it in with
      > "yamayuri lily" in the lyrics to "Maria-sama no Kokoro". It might have
      > been better to either translate the whole thing or leave it as
      > "Yamayurikai"... I think I can live with "the Lady Roses".

      I mentioned that Yamayuri lily was redundant in my review of the first episode. They didn't change it, I guess.

      > It really is nice to finally have an official sub track retain the
      > honorifics sensibly; I can only hope that it'll catch on at least a
      > little more widely in translated anime (as it has in manga). And the
      > best part is that I get to watch the show all over again and rediscover
      > just how utterly wonderful a character Sei is.

      I'm hoping to *finally* see more cosplay at Otakon this year. lol

      > Anyway, definite thanks to Right Stuf and Nozomi for paying attention
      > to the fandom and taking a chance on a niche series like Marimite. I
      > hope it pays off for them. (Perhaps if we can mobilise the awesome
      > buying power (cough) of the Yuricon list we can persuade them to
      > translate the novels as well. ;)

      Righto. :-)

      Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before.
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108587394/direct/01/