RE: [Yuricon] What made you a fan of Yuri?

  • Haruchin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
      Hmm... slightly embarrassed about how I got into yuri, but here goes...

      I'd been into anime for about six months (having always fancied checking it out, but never getting the courage together to buy a DVD and find out), and was watching School Rumble of all things, when there was this fabulous dancing scene between Eri and Yakumo which made me sit up and take notice.

      I knew that people often wrote fanfics slashing characters together, so set out to find if anyone had put together an Eri x Yakumo fic - and discovered Yuribou. Now I've got a lot of time for Yuribou, but clearly that blog was more into the hentai aspects of yuri which is all well and good, but not quite what I'm generally after, so I basically went through his blog links looking for more, and discovered Okazu. I didn't look back.

      Oddly, I guess I enjoy yuri because it's a way to explore sides of myself that I find aren't satisfied by the standard relationship patterns out there. I would read lesbian literature if I could work out where to start, but for the moment I haven't, and so anime and manga is where I get to explore the ideas of girls liking each other, in every possible way.

      So there you are. :)

      Haru

      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:09:50 +0000
      Subject: [Yuricon] What made you a fan of Yuri?

      There is something that has struck me recently. To explain it I will
      have to tell a story so bare with me.

      When I was fourteen and just starting to get seriously into both anime
      and manga I was reading the Utena manga that I had found in america at
      school and my then anime Onee-sama friend said:

      "The anime of that is much more Yuri."

      To which I said: "Sorry?"

      "Yuri. It's like Yaoi but with female characters" Was her explanation.

      "Ah I see." And that was the end of it. For nearly three years.
      (During which I saw Utena and thought it was amazing)

      Then I randomly see the Yuri Wikipeda page and notice how highly it
      spoke of Marimite. With far superior connections then my younger self
      I proceeded to buy/borrow the DVD's and watch it and then found out
      more about Yuri though the lililicious > Okazu > Yuri ML route. What I
      found out was that there was not actually a lot of Yuri at all.

      Then somehow I ended up grabbing up anything I could find and Yuri
      became a niche in my buying patterns.

      Now what I want to bring up is the big gap between me finding out that
      Yuri exists and then caring about it. Was this at all similar to
      anyone else or did everyone else in the world just jump strait in once
      they found out how to spell Yuri?

      What gave you your initial motivation to become an active fan?

      Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
        In my high school, me and my buds got to watch some Tenchi Muyo, but
        not a whole lot due to the inappropriate nudity. When we were done
        with it, one of us came up and said he would bring a new series in,
        saying if we liked Tenchi then we'd love Battle Athletes Victory. I
        decided not to watch a whole series with everyone and figured I'd
        spend my free time between classes (they could only watch the show in
        segments because of this) on other things; this was before Kris
        Kristopher came on. I was in the same room right when Kris started
        flirting and hitting on Akari, and I found myself coming over and
        sitting down as part of the audience. It wasn't so much because of
        the lesbian flirting alone that drew me in, but also because it was
        just something I never watched on TV before. I got hooked to the rest
        of the series from there. However, at the time I didn't recognize
        myself as a yuri fan nor did I have any knowledge of that word.

        It wasn't until my early twenties that I started thinking about
        girl/girl relationships, because hetero romances were starting to get
        really old. The first yuri title that I've heard, piqued my interest,
        and look forward to its domestic release was Kannazuki. Strawberry
        Panic followed afterwards, and then I became aware of yuri as a
        genre. 2005 was my first year at Otakon, when I first met Erica
        Friedman and attended the yuri panel. There I discovered about Okazu,
        this mailing list, and that ironically the two titles that got me
        into the genre happen to be the least popular and list other and
        better titles. I've been a real yuri fan and really up to date on
        everything since then and already seen other great titles like Utena
        and Devil Lady--Pachy
      • Rose Tulip
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
          I've known I was interested in other women since 7th grade. I've also seemed to particularly enjoy anime and manga, but for some reason or another, I never thought to put them together. Even after Gundam Wing fanfiction had ushered me into the world of Yaoi, Yuri never crossed my mind. Nevertheless, Sailor Uranus and Neptune had peaked my curiosity at a very young age and I wasn't immune to, what I recognize now as, the occasional Yuri fanservice (*cough*LoveHina). Those always sent me stumbling backwards to figure out if that kiss had really just happened. I believe the first anime I bought with the intention of watching the girl x girl relationships was Vandread back when I was a highschool freshy. That interest halted along with my disappearing allowance.

          Years later, in my junior year of high-school, my sister bought a Noir CD for my bday. My sisters and I <3 the soundtrack after watching the first 7 episodes two years ago, which was all our Blockbuster had. (This was before youtube.) The disk sent me searching to finish watching the series, and thus started an avalanche. Finishing Noir led to the inevitable search for Noir fanfics which of course led to shoujo-ai.com... "Shoujo-ai? What is this... Wow. Cool." I hit up BeeTrain, smashed through Madlax, Kannazuki no Miko, Mai-HiME, all the while anxiously waiting for El Cazador. Finally I stumbled upon Okazu and lililicious.net. What a win that was. With my busy schedule, I've only ever had time to update myself with yuri in the anime world, and it's a niche that I don't plan to abandon... ever. EVAR!

          Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn. ~Mahatma Gandhi

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            i would have to say that when i started playing roleplaying games
            with a group of older people in freshman year of high school one the
            guys would play a lot of female charaters and for some reason i took
            that idea and ran with it and added the twist that most are gay....
            i have been gaming for years and i end up playing lots of female
            charaters that are young and gay, and then i got into anime and found
            fan fiction after some point in the mid 90's when someone gave me a
            copy of mama's hand and sailor moon v. after highschool i really got
            into buysing some lesbo adult bids when i could. the first anime the
            i really got into was ranma 1/2 and the dirty pair. one of the guys i
            hung out with was really into henti so that lead into lots of anime
            henti and some some reason a got into having a lesbo fetish...sigh..i
            know i am werid. this even lead to me joining a gay club at the local
            college and being the vp....a stg guy as the vp..just to weird.
            after wathcing el-hazard it was love at first site with priness
            futora and her lover allie being bigger pervs then happy and lums
            boyfriend.
            i due rember the project ako love tri-angle.
            i got into the big girl titals inthe 90's cause everyone was tlaking
            about it and picked up unitna and loved it. found out about yuri con
            in 2003 from animeica i think and wanted to attnd the next year, but
            it fell though. then found the mailing list and have been here ever
            since....
            i found anime around 1989/1990 and that was freshman year of high
            school and i am know 33...sigh..where does time go...
          • chia_fantisy_game
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "jason" <sacranoidclub@...> wrote:

              > i would have to say that when i started playing roleplaying games
              > with a group of older people in freshman year of high school one the
              > guys would play a lot of female charaters and for some reason i took
              > that idea and ran with it and added the twist that most are gay....
              > i have been gaming for years and i end up playing lots of female
              > charaters that are young and gay, and then i got into anime and found
              > fan fiction after some point in the mid 90's when someone gave me a
              > copy of mama's hand and sailor moon v. after highschool i really got
              > into buysing some lesbo adult bids when i could. the first anime the
              > i really got into was ranma 1/2 and the dirty pair. one of the guys i
              > hung out with was really into henti so that lead into lots of anime
              > henti and some some reason a got into having a lesbo fetish...sigh..i
              > know i am werid. this even lead to me joining a gay club at the local
              > college and being the vp....a stg guy as the vp..just to weird.
              > after wathcing el-hazard it was love at first site with priness
              > futora and her lover allie being bigger pervs then happy and lums
              > boyfriend.
              > i due rember the project ako love tri-angle.
              > i got into the big girl titals inthe 90's cause everyone was tlaking
              > about it and picked up unitna and loved it. found out about yuri con
              > in 2003 from animeica i think and wanted to attnd the next year, but
              > it fell though. then found the mailing list and have been here ever
              > since....
              > i found anime around 1989/1990 and that was freshman year of high
              > school and i am know 33...sigh..where does time go...

              I've always enjoyed Sailor Moon even before I knew what anime
              was :) I also enjoy Revolutionary Girl Utena and Maria Sama ga Miteru
              as well as many other Yuri, but i definitely trace to roots back to
              Sailor Moon.
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                I got into Yuri through Sailor Moon, as did so many people in the mid-late 90s. Specifically, because of Ogata Megumi, the voice of Haruka, whoch sent (and still sends) shivers up my spine. lol Haruka and Neptune still reign as Queens of Yuri in my mind.

                Yuricon was created because of some anti-Yuri sentiment at a con I was on the staff of some 8 years ago. At the time, Yaoi/Boys Love was still in its infancy and the rest of the staff was far more interested in that, and more or less uninterested and squicked by Yuri. So, I decided to create my own community, site and ultimately, con.

                Crazy, huh?

                Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: jajchan@...
                  > Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:51:01 +0000
                  > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: What made you a fan of Yuri?
                  >
                  > I found out about Yuri from a presentation of the Utena movie. Things
                  > all went downhill from there :) I've found the Okazu blog to be very
                  > helpful in my search for more (thanks, Erica!!) and am anxiously
                  > awaiting the arrival of Marimite in our local stores.

                  My pleasure - glad it's of some use.

                  I kind of feel these days that all my posts here read like this:

                  "I reviewed that on Okazu."

                  lol

                  I'm so busy keeping up on the new stuff, that I don't have much time to talk about the old stuff - and everything that comes out here is already "old" to me. :-)

                  Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                  http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                • blu_gloo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                    It all started with Strawberry Panic. It was the first time I was
                    hooked on anime. Back then, I had no idea that I liked SP
                    because of the fact that girls were having crushes on girls (well,
                    maybe more than just crushes).

                    Afterwards, the same friend that recommended SP recommended Venus
                    versus Virus. I liked that too, but I still had no idea I had become
                    a yuri fan. It was also about then that I learned what yaoi and yuri
                    were.

                    After watching a load of shounen titles which that same friend
                    recommended (Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist etc.) I was convinced I
                    was a fan of shounen (I despise most shoujo, it just annoys the hell
                    out of me. I'm still not sure why).

                    But I couldn't stop thinking about SP and VvV. I wanted more. I
                    wanted more....yuri?

                    So one year after starting SP, I was sitting at the same desk, same
                    computer watching Marimite. I was totally addicted.

                    I've since discovered Okazu, Yuricon and the joy of yuri fanfics.

                    I am also proud to say that so far, I have only liked one male anime
                    character. All my other favs are female ^^ (I'm female btw, if that
                    wasn't a big enough hint)

                    GJ
                  • Katherine
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2008
                      Well, my first exposure yuri was watching the poorly edited version of
                      Sailor Moon on TV when I was in elementary school. It didn't take long
                      for me to take my love of SM online, and along with looking up all of
                      the senshi's favorite foods, birthdays, blood types, etc (I was that
                      obsessed), I found out about Haruka and Michiru definitely being an
                      item (even when I first watched them as "cousins", I sensed there was
                      something off lol). Then I read the manga, which technically was my
                      first real exposure to yuri, even though I was too young to appreciate
                      it. lol

                      Then when I was in sixth grade, and getting into a lot more titles
                      (like Fushigi Yuugi, Tenchi, and Yu Yu Hakusho) one of my 8th grade
                      friends in the anime club got the Utena movie on VHS without knowing
                      what it was, and we all (all girls back then) took turns borrowing it
                      from her. We all thought it was awesome ("Pretty flowers!! Cool sword
                      fights!!"), even though we didn't really understand it. Plus, another
                      friend of mine had the last SM Stars episodes on VHS, in which I
                      finally saw some of Haruka and Michiru unedited (yet I still didn't
                      appreciate it).

                      I finally became a bona fide yuri fan when my sophomore year of high
                      school had just ended, and I watched Kannazuki no Miko (of all series)
                      online. It's a crappy show, in my current opinion, and it has all of
                      the subtlety of a jackhammer on pavement, but I loved it back then,
                      and it gave me that "Aha!" moment where I started realizing I was gay.
                      Thence, I watched all of the yuri I could find until I became
                      jaded/mature enough to tell the difference between Strawberry Panic
                      and Strawberry Shake Sweet.
                    • m.dickenz
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 18, 2008
                        i became a fan of yuri about five or seven months ago, which, compared to everyone else
                        here, is pretty recent. Before, i was more into straight couples, like RoyXRiza from Fullmetal
                        Alchemist. But it became boring after a while, especially after reading all the straight
                        fanfiction, so i thought i'd try Yaoi, cuz there seemed to be quite alot of those with
                        characters i loved. But then yaoi started to get boring too. It was kinda strange, cuz the same
                        thing seemed to happen with the same couples in each fanfiction and doujinshi i read. By
                        that time, i was slowly dirifting away from anime because nothing seemed interesting. I
                        asked my Onee-chan what she recommened, cuz she is always up to date with manga and
                        anime. She recommened Kannazuki no Miko. I had no idea what it was, but i watched it
                        anyway, and it turned out to be yuri, something that i never really paid attention too. At first,
                        I thought, 'This is so werid and stupid' but I couldn't help but fall in love with the main
                        characters. I watched all the episodes, and loved the HimekoXChikane pairing, but ending up
                        not liking the rest (i'm not a big mecha fan). I asked my Onee-chan for another
                        recommendation, and she suggested Strawberry Panic. Ever sine then, I've been hooked on
                        Yuri. I'm currently watching the Japanese version of Sailor Moon.

                        It's wonderful to see that girls can fight, stand up for themselves, and more importantly, be
                        themselves in an anime.

                        -Mango
                      • shiki_ryuokami
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 26, 2008
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "m.dickenz" <m.dickenz@...> wrote:

                          hmm...maybe some months ago? just like m.dickenz, i used to like
                          straight anime's rather than yaoi or yuri. like the pairing in the
                          bleach anime rukiaxichigo
                          but i started getting bored at them and belive it or not whenever i
                          watch anime like that i started drifting to sleep.
                          i asked one of my classmates if she has a new anime dvd and asked if
                          can borrow it.
                          then she let me borrow the whole series of Maria-sama ga Miteru. after
                          watching that anime i got hooked by yuri.

                          now that i think about it, i hate the way boys think about themselves
                          higher than girls. maybe that's the reason why i got tired and bored
                          in straight animes. yaoi animes are fine but i prefer yuri.