RE: [Yuricon] What made you a fan of Yuri?

  • Firia L
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
      My reasons for being a fan of Yuri are very easy to follow. ;) I'm a gay woman (lesbian, for anyone struggling to keep up.^_^), and a fan of anime/manga. Indeed, I plan on making a comicbook some day. I hope it doesn't end there, but I havn't thought to much about what lays beyond. So, I'm a manga/anime fan, and I say to myself, "Yaknow, something that caters to my romantic interest would be nice. This shy-klutzy-girl-meets-polite-protective-boy angle sure gets old quick." It does too-- how many highschool settings can you stomache after a while, yaknow?

      So I sought out looking for good Yuri. I was immediately disapointed. Being in the states, good yuri was hard to find-- esspecially since I didn't know it was called 'Yuri.' I kept looking for "lesbian themed anime," and getting Sailor Mercury + Sailor Jupitor hentai. Not bad, but not what I was looking for, ;) Even after I learned that "Yuri" was the appropriate language for this interest, I discovered alot of Yuri was simple subtext. A girl is interested in another girl, but it's all subtext. The implications were all there, but no confirmation or real satasfaction.

      Sailor Moon had long been cancled in the states (I learned later it was revived, but the Uranus-Neptune angle was all Best-friendsy, so I didn't care), Utena was introduced to me years after its popularity had faded, and I found the first real satasfaction.

      THEN, when I wasn't looking, "Strawberry Panic" came along. :) Oh yeah, that was a good one. NO subtext at all, all women interested in women, and plenty for my heart to feast on. I was upset at first, cause it seemed only subtext, but then as the ball started to roll, I realised, "hey, that isn't subtext! That's her being shy!"

      Then somehow I found Lililisious. :) I hadn't even discovered the scan archive until someone did a review of one. I promptly downloaded everything I could. X_x That took... a while. Clicking links, thankful for the "download all" in some sections.

      So, while I'm not ready to fall head over heels on Yuri, I am an avid reader/watcher now. :) Even the subtext, sometimes, is fun.

      -Lyta

      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: lucypanorama@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:24:12 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Yuricon] What made you a fan of Yuri?

      Since I've been completely silent  for the past few months here is the full and extended version of how I came to like yuri.
      I was thirteen and I had become much more knowledgeable  about anime and manga.  My group of friends generally liked the stuff too, but had tastes very different from my own.  They all liked Inuyasha , yaoi,  and  drama series that I despised. I preferred Sailor Moon and Cyborg 009 and was becoming bored rather fast.
      We were talking one day and I remember being fed up with them talking about yaoi and BL. My complaints lead to a slight mention of yuri. My inquiry of what it was was answered as "Japanese cartoon lesbian porn". The conversation deviated some more.

      A while later I asked about yuri again and was met with rather unfriendly responses. Everyone seemed to find it disgusting.. .Naturally I got no answers and being the follow the leader type I was back then I agreed to their comments...

      One weekend I was very bored. My friends had suggested shows and websites to get me into BL and yaoi. It failed. I had some soda and marshmallows and I was still curious about this whole yuri thing. Of course I wasn't about to admit that...No, I told myself repeatedly  that I was going to laugh at  it because...it was gross.

      I went through some links, found lililicious, and looked through the various scans. I thought Marimite looked fun to poke at...I got my scan read through it and found myself pleasantly surprised. I soon found Strawberry Shake Sweet and Okazu and continued to be pleasantly surprised.

      I would go back to school the next week with my new found love. My friends looked at me oddly of course,but let me go on and on about yuri regardless. This whole tale of course has another form of significance to me. When I finally accepted that I did like yuri and that I had never even found it disturbing to begin with I dropped my follow the leader tendencies. Yay, I now question most everything including myself. I must say though...it is hard to sleep when you think so much.

      -Samantha

    • iatheia
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
        It is kind of embarassing, really.
        I didn't even question my sexuality back then. Well, perhaps this
        thought poped up from time to time, but nothing major. I just assumed
        that I liked boys. The alternative seemed unrealistic. It could
        happen to someone else, someone important, not for average girl like
        me. At least, this is what I thought.

        So, after giving it some though, I decided that I should watch
        hentai, so I could "prepare" myself. Seems silly right now, but this
        was my thought process. Immediately I started searching for a title
        that I might enjoy. Found some discussion on the topic at hand. Some
        people advised to go slowly, to start with yaoi or yuri. Something
        like... oh, well... Utena. I didn't know what those big words ment.

        I didn't know about Utena, either. So, my opinion of it, initially,
        was that it is some kind of soft porn.

        But I decided to do more investigation. I looked up those big words,
        and I authomatically figured out that I would probably _not_ like
        yaoi. Yuri, on the other hand...

        So I started searching for yuri titles that I would like to watch. In
        the end, my choise was between Marimite and SutoPani. I chose
        Strawberry Panic, and could not hold myself back ever since.
      • Jaymie C
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
          Me, i am actually playing catch-up right now on series; i was an anime fan back during the airings of Sailor Moon on USA Network. Of course, that hooked me straight in; to this day i am still very much a Makoto/Ami fan. Later realized i was lesbian, natch, but i loved Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura (especially Tomoyo, i hated the dub name Madison). Of course, some bad stuff happened to me, especially the falling-out with my parents, but now that i am fully back on my feet, naturally i find out all these neat series came out (SP!, Marimite, Yamibou, Kannazuki, Gokujou Seitokai...). Got some help from a friend, linked into Otenba and Lililicious; through that, Erica's blog Okazu, and through that the Yuricon website.

        • Jen
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
            In the early days of licensed anime, 'Tenchi Muyo' was released, and
            my youthful, bright-eyed self enjoyed it quite thoroughly. The male
            lead's two romantic pursuers** Ryoko & Aeka shared a mutual loathing,
            but the series occasionaly dropped the already common 'girl rivals
            ignore their prey and go all kissy chu-chu with each other WHAT A
            TWIST" trick, and I found it amusing.

            And I ran with it. It made me laff.

            My main introduction to anime was Ranma 1/2, which was a comedy about
            a boy and girl who can't stand each other, but become so entwined
            through family circumstance the story revolves around their
            inescapable romance. Plus the hook is the boy's body changes into a
            busty redhead girl's body when drenched with water, while the girl
            frequently punches his lights out. The old 'enemies become lovers'
            thing was a plot device firmly set in my mind (as was quirky gender
            rolebending), so when it came to Tenchi Muyo's Ryoko & Aeka, the yuri
            idea landed on fertilized ground.

            And the more I ran with it, the more funny it became. Soon I was the
            community's resident "expert/pioneer" of 'The Princess & the Pirate'
            yuri. Then came the photoshopping. Then the music videos. Then
            along came Yuri Studios.

            And now here I am.

            Funny how my own sexuality and leanings played absolutely no part in
            my yuri fandom. I like that.

            Kisses XXOOXX
            Jen

            ** The fact that the romance in the Tenchi Muyo series was all about
            the girl's love/lust/ for the asexual guy and focused on their
            attempts to seduce him probably helped my intro to yuri as well,
            subconciously pushing the idea of the girl being the one to reach out
            and get some lovin', rather than my young mind simply accepting that
            it's "simply understood" that it is the man who attempts to win the
            heart of his beloved, while the girl has no such ambition.
          • Haruchin
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
              Hmm... slightly embarrassed about how I got into yuri, but here goes...

              I'd been into anime for about six months (having always fancied checking it out, but never getting the courage together to buy a DVD and find out), and was watching School Rumble of all things, when there was this fabulous dancing scene between Eri and Yakumo which made me sit up and take notice.

              I knew that people often wrote fanfics slashing characters together, so set out to find if anyone had put together an Eri x Yakumo fic - and discovered Yuribou. Now I've got a lot of time for Yuribou, but clearly that blog was more into the hentai aspects of yuri which is all well and good, but not quite what I'm generally after, so I basically went through his blog links looking for more, and discovered Okazu. I didn't look back.

              Oddly, I guess I enjoy yuri because it's a way to explore sides of myself that I find aren't satisfied by the standard relationship patterns out there. I would read lesbian literature if I could work out where to start, but for the moment I haven't, and so anime and manga is where I get to explore the ideas of girls liking each other, in every possible way.

              So there you are. :)

              Haru

              To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
              Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:09:50 +0000
              Subject: [Yuricon] What made you a fan of Yuri?

              There is something that has struck me recently. To explain it I will
              have to tell a story so bare with me.

              When I was fourteen and just starting to get seriously into both anime
              and manga I was reading the Utena manga that I had found in america at
              school and my then anime Onee-sama friend said:

              "The anime of that is much more Yuri."

              To which I said: "Sorry?"

              "Yuri. It's like Yaoi but with female characters" Was her explanation.

              "Ah I see." And that was the end of it. For nearly three years.
              (During which I saw Utena and thought it was amazing)

              Then I randomly see the Yuri Wikipeda page and notice how highly it
              spoke of Marimite. With far superior connections then my younger self
              I proceeded to buy/borrow the DVD's and watch it and then found out
              more about Yuri though the lililicious > Okazu > Yuri ML route. What I
              found out was that there was not actually a lot of Yuri at all.

              Then somehow I ended up grabbing up anything I could find and Yuri
              became a niche in my buying patterns.

              Now what I want to bring up is the big gap between me finding out that
              Yuri exists and then caring about it. Was this at all similar to
              anyone else or did everyone else in the world just jump strait in once
              they found out how to spell Yuri?

              What gave you your initial motivation to become an active fan?

              Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now
            • Eric
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
                In my high school, me and my buds got to watch some Tenchi Muyo, but
                not a whole lot due to the inappropriate nudity. When we were done
                with it, one of us came up and said he would bring a new series in,
                saying if we liked Tenchi then we'd love Battle Athletes Victory. I
                decided not to watch a whole series with everyone and figured I'd
                spend my free time between classes (they could only watch the show in
                segments because of this) on other things; this was before Kris
                Kristopher came on. I was in the same room right when Kris started
                flirting and hitting on Akari, and I found myself coming over and
                sitting down as part of the audience. It wasn't so much because of
                the lesbian flirting alone that drew me in, but also because it was
                just something I never watched on TV before. I got hooked to the rest
                of the series from there. However, at the time I didn't recognize
                myself as a yuri fan nor did I have any knowledge of that word.

                It wasn't until my early twenties that I started thinking about
                girl/girl relationships, because hetero romances were starting to get
                really old. The first yuri title that I've heard, piqued my interest,
                and look forward to its domestic release was Kannazuki. Strawberry
                Panic followed afterwards, and then I became aware of yuri as a
                genre. 2005 was my first year at Otakon, when I first met Erica
                Friedman and attended the yuri panel. There I discovered about Okazu,
                this mailing list, and that ironically the two titles that got me
                into the genre happen to be the least popular and list other and
                better titles. I've been a real yuri fan and really up to date on
                everything since then and already seen other great titles like Utena
                and Devil Lady--Pachy
              • Rose Tulip
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2008
                  I've known I was interested in other women since 7th grade. I've also seemed to particularly enjoy anime and manga, but for some reason or another, I never thought to put them together. Even after Gundam Wing fanfiction had ushered me into the world of Yaoi, Yuri never crossed my mind. Nevertheless, Sailor Uranus and Neptune had peaked my curiosity at a very young age and I wasn't immune to, what I recognize now as, the occasional Yuri fanservice (*cough*LoveHina). Those always sent me stumbling backwards to figure out if that kiss had really just happened. I believe the first anime I bought with the intention of watching the girl x girl relationships was Vandread back when I was a highschool freshy. That interest halted along with my disappearing allowance.

                  Years later, in my junior year of high-school, my sister bought a Noir CD for my bday. My sisters and I <3 the soundtrack after watching the first 7 episodes two years ago, which was all our Blockbuster had. (This was before youtube.) The disk sent me searching to finish watching the series, and thus started an avalanche. Finishing Noir led to the inevitable search for Noir fanfics which of course led to shoujo-ai.com... "Shoujo-ai? What is this... Wow. Cool." I hit up BeeTrain, smashed through Madlax, Kannazuki no Miko, Mai-HiME, all the while anxiously waiting for El Cazador. Finally I stumbled upon Okazu and lililicious.net. What a win that was. With my busy schedule, I've only ever had time to update myself with yuri in the anime world, and it's a niche that I don't plan to abandon... ever. EVAR!

                  Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn. ~Mahatma Gandhi

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                    i would have to say that when i started playing roleplaying games
                    with a group of older people in freshman year of high school one the
                    guys would play a lot of female charaters and for some reason i took
                    that idea and ran with it and added the twist that most are gay....
                    i have been gaming for years and i end up playing lots of female
                    charaters that are young and gay, and then i got into anime and found
                    fan fiction after some point in the mid 90's when someone gave me a
                    copy of mama's hand and sailor moon v. after highschool i really got
                    into buysing some lesbo adult bids when i could. the first anime the
                    i really got into was ranma 1/2 and the dirty pair. one of the guys i
                    hung out with was really into henti so that lead into lots of anime
                    henti and some some reason a got into having a lesbo fetish...sigh..i
                    know i am werid. this even lead to me joining a gay club at the local
                    college and being the vp....a stg guy as the vp..just to weird.
                    after wathcing el-hazard it was love at first site with priness
                    futora and her lover allie being bigger pervs then happy and lums
                    boyfriend.
                    i due rember the project ako love tri-angle.
                    i got into the big girl titals inthe 90's cause everyone was tlaking
                    about it and picked up unitna and loved it. found out about yuri con
                    in 2003 from animeica i think and wanted to attnd the next year, but
                    it fell though. then found the mailing list and have been here ever
                    since....
                    i found anime around 1989/1990 and that was freshman year of high
                    school and i am know 33...sigh..where does time go...
                  • chia_fantisy_game
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "jason" <sacranoidclub@...> wrote:

                      > i would have to say that when i started playing roleplaying games
                      > with a group of older people in freshman year of high school one the
                      > guys would play a lot of female charaters and for some reason i took
                      > that idea and ran with it and added the twist that most are gay....
                      > i have been gaming for years and i end up playing lots of female
                      > charaters that are young and gay, and then i got into anime and found
                      > fan fiction after some point in the mid 90's when someone gave me a
                      > copy of mama's hand and sailor moon v. after highschool i really got
                      > into buysing some lesbo adult bids when i could. the first anime the
                      > i really got into was ranma 1/2 and the dirty pair. one of the guys i
                      > hung out with was really into henti so that lead into lots of anime
                      > henti and some some reason a got into having a lesbo fetish...sigh..i
                      > know i am werid. this even lead to me joining a gay club at the local
                      > college and being the vp....a stg guy as the vp..just to weird.
                      > after wathcing el-hazard it was love at first site with priness
                      > futora and her lover allie being bigger pervs then happy and lums
                      > boyfriend.
                      > i due rember the project ako love tri-angle.
                      > i got into the big girl titals inthe 90's cause everyone was tlaking
                      > about it and picked up unitna and loved it. found out about yuri con
                      > in 2003 from animeica i think and wanted to attnd the next year, but
                      > it fell though. then found the mailing list and have been here ever
                      > since....
                      > i found anime around 1989/1990 and that was freshman year of high
                      > school and i am know 33...sigh..where does time go...

                      I've always enjoyed Sailor Moon even before I knew what anime
                      was :) I also enjoy Revolutionary Girl Utena and Maria Sama ga Miteru
                      as well as many other Yuri, but i definitely trace to roots back to
                      Sailor Moon.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                        I got into Yuri through Sailor Moon, as did so many people in the mid-late 90s. Specifically, because of Ogata Megumi, the voice of Haruka, whoch sent (and still sends) shivers up my spine. lol Haruka and Neptune still reign as Queens of Yuri in my mind.

                        Yuricon was created because of some anti-Yuri sentiment at a con I was on the staff of some 8 years ago. At the time, Yaoi/Boys Love was still in its infancy and the rest of the staff was far more interested in that, and more or less uninterested and squicked by Yuri. So, I decided to create my own community, site and ultimately, con.

                        Crazy, huh?

                        Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                        http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: jajchan@...
                          > Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:51:01 +0000
                          > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: What made you a fan of Yuri?
                          >
                          > I found out about Yuri from a presentation of the Utena movie. Things
                          > all went downhill from there :) I've found the Okazu blog to be very
                          > helpful in my search for more (thanks, Erica!!) and am anxiously
                          > awaiting the arrival of Marimite in our local stores.

                          My pleasure - glad it's of some use.

                          I kind of feel these days that all my posts here read like this:

                          "I reviewed that on Okazu."

                          lol

                          I'm so busy keeping up on the new stuff, that I don't have much time to talk about the old stuff - and everything that comes out here is already "old" to me. :-)

                          Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                          http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                        • blu_gloo
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 5, 2008
                            It all started with Strawberry Panic. It was the first time I was
                            hooked on anime. Back then, I had no idea that I liked SP
                            because of the fact that girls were having crushes on girls (well,
                            maybe more than just crushes).

                            Afterwards, the same friend that recommended SP recommended Venus
                            versus Virus. I liked that too, but I still had no idea I had become
                            a yuri fan. It was also about then that I learned what yaoi and yuri
                            were.

                            After watching a load of shounen titles which that same friend
                            recommended (Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist etc.) I was convinced I
                            was a fan of shounen (I despise most shoujo, it just annoys the hell
                            out of me. I'm still not sure why).

                            But I couldn't stop thinking about SP and VvV. I wanted more. I
                            wanted more....yuri?

                            So one year after starting SP, I was sitting at the same desk, same
                            computer watching Marimite. I was totally addicted.

                            I've since discovered Okazu, Yuricon and the joy of yuri fanfics.

                            I am also proud to say that so far, I have only liked one male anime
                            character. All my other favs are female ^^ (I'm female btw, if that
                            wasn't a big enough hint)

                            GJ
                          • Katherine
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 6, 2008
                              Well, my first exposure yuri was watching the poorly edited version of
                              Sailor Moon on TV when I was in elementary school. It didn't take long
                              for me to take my love of SM online, and along with looking up all of
                              the senshi's favorite foods, birthdays, blood types, etc (I was that
                              obsessed), I found out about Haruka and Michiru definitely being an
                              item (even when I first watched them as "cousins", I sensed there was
                              something off lol). Then I read the manga, which technically was my
                              first real exposure to yuri, even though I was too young to appreciate
                              it. lol

                              Then when I was in sixth grade, and getting into a lot more titles
                              (like Fushigi Yuugi, Tenchi, and Yu Yu Hakusho) one of my 8th grade
                              friends in the anime club got the Utena movie on VHS without knowing
                              what it was, and we all (all girls back then) took turns borrowing it
                              from her. We all thought it was awesome ("Pretty flowers!! Cool sword
                              fights!!"), even though we didn't really understand it. Plus, another
                              friend of mine had the last SM Stars episodes on VHS, in which I
                              finally saw some of Haruka and Michiru unedited (yet I still didn't
                              appreciate it).

                              I finally became a bona fide yuri fan when my sophomore year of high
                              school had just ended, and I watched Kannazuki no Miko (of all series)
                              online. It's a crappy show, in my current opinion, and it has all of
                              the subtlety of a jackhammer on pavement, but I loved it back then,
                              and it gave me that "Aha!" moment where I started realizing I was gay.
                              Thence, I watched all of the yuri I could find until I became
                              jaded/mature enough to tell the difference between Strawberry Panic
                              and Strawberry Shake Sweet.
                            • m.dickenz
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 18, 2008
                                i became a fan of yuri about five or seven months ago, which, compared to everyone else
                                here, is pretty recent. Before, i was more into straight couples, like RoyXRiza from Fullmetal
                                Alchemist. But it became boring after a while, especially after reading all the straight
                                fanfiction, so i thought i'd try Yaoi, cuz there seemed to be quite alot of those with
                                characters i loved. But then yaoi started to get boring too. It was kinda strange, cuz the same
                                thing seemed to happen with the same couples in each fanfiction and doujinshi i read. By
                                that time, i was slowly dirifting away from anime because nothing seemed interesting. I
                                asked my Onee-chan what she recommened, cuz she is always up to date with manga and
                                anime. She recommened Kannazuki no Miko. I had no idea what it was, but i watched it
                                anyway, and it turned out to be yuri, something that i never really paid attention too. At first,
                                I thought, 'This is so werid and stupid' but I couldn't help but fall in love with the main
                                characters. I watched all the episodes, and loved the HimekoXChikane pairing, but ending up
                                not liking the rest (i'm not a big mecha fan). I asked my Onee-chan for another
                                recommendation, and she suggested Strawberry Panic. Ever sine then, I've been hooked on
                                Yuri. I'm currently watching the Japanese version of Sailor Moon.

                                It's wonderful to see that girls can fight, stand up for themselves, and more importantly, be
                                themselves in an anime.

                                -Mango
                              • shiki_ryuokami
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 26, 2008
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "m.dickenz" <m.dickenz@...> wrote:

                                  hmm...maybe some months ago? just like m.dickenz, i used to like
                                  straight anime's rather than yaoi or yuri. like the pairing in the
                                  bleach anime rukiaxichigo
                                  but i started getting bored at them and belive it or not whenever i
                                  watch anime like that i started drifting to sleep.
                                  i asked one of my classmates if she has a new anime dvd and asked if
                                  can borrow it.
                                  then she let me borrow the whole series of Maria-sama ga Miteru. after
                                  watching that anime i got hooked by yuri.

                                  now that i think about it, i hate the way boys think about themselves
                                  higher than girls. maybe that's the reason why i got tired and bored
                                  in straight animes. yaoi animes are fine but i prefer yuri.