Re: What made you a fan of Yuri?

  • yu_kazu_ri
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1 2:41 PM
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
      <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

      > There is something that has struck me recently. To explain it I will
      > have to tell a story so bare with me.
      >
      > When I was fourteen and just starting to get seriously into both
      anime
      > and manga I was reading the Utena manga that I had found in america
      at
      > school and my then anime Onee-sama friend said:
      >
      > "The anime of that is much more Yuri."
      >
      > To which I said: "Sorry?"
      >
      > "Yuri. It's like Yaoi but with female characters" Was her
      explanation.

      > "Ah I see." And that was the end of it. For nearly three years.
      > (During which I saw Utena and thought it was amazing)
      >
      > Then I randomly see the Yuri Wikipeda page and notice how highly it
      > spoke of Marimite. With far superior connections then my younger
      self
      > I proceeded to buy/borrow the DVD's and watch it and then found out
      > more about Yuri though the lililicious > Okazu > Yuri ML route.
      What I
      > found out was that there was not actually a lot of Yuri at all.
      >
      > Then somehow I ended up grabbing up anything I could find and Yuri
      > became a niche in my buying patterns.
      >
      > Now what I want to bring up is the big gap between me finding out
      that
      > Yuri exists and then caring about it. Was this at all similar to
      > anyone else or did everyone else in the world just jump strait in
      once
      > they found out how to spell Yuri?
      >
      > What gave you your initial motivation to become an active fan?

      i found a link to yuri from the wikipedia page for hentai, so i
      decided to look into it... at first all i saw of it was in porn and
      doujinshi, but then when i came across strawberry panic i totaly fell
      in love with it.... and i totaly agree... there really ISNT very much
      yuri that isnt porn which really makes me sad, because strawberry
      panic is like my second fav anime of all time (onegai teacher being
      my first)
    • chimerayuri
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1 3:51 PM
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

        > Now what I want to bring up is the big gap between me finding out that
        > Yuri exists and then caring about it. Was this at all similar to
        > anyone else or did everyone else in the world just jump strait in once
        > they found out how to spell Yuri?
        >
        > What gave you your initial motivation to become an active fan?

        Well when I first saw yuri, like most Guys i saw it as just fanservice and sexual situations.
        Then on Jan 8 2007 (yes i remember the date) I went on a web-site to see what new anime
        they had for me to watch. The new Anime was KashiMashi Girl Meets Girl. After I saw ep 1
        i was so changed. I saw the Main character as a form of myself that i rejected. The sensitive
        feminine side of my personality. After Finishing the anime I went in search of more Yuri
        Anime with Great stories that are either funny or emotional.

        Now Yuri has Becomes my Favorite type of anime and I enjoy making great Yuri AMVS. Catch
        two on the Yuri-con AMV page.
      • kat none
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1 4:41 PM
          A childhood love of cartoons, an equally early devotion to drawing, teen years of formulating personas and characteristics for every character sketched, and the realization that I loved women at age 17.

          It's a combination that has bound me to yuri, and I don't think it'll ever relent. :)

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1 5:30 PM
            <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

            > Now what I want to bring up is the big gap between me finding out that
            > Yuri exists and then caring about it. Was this at all similar to
            > anyone else or did everyone else in the world just jump strait in once
            > they found out how to spell Yuri?
            >
            > What gave you your initial motivation to become an active fan?

            I think I more haphazardly discovered yuri. Okay I take that back, I
            just remembered that on college in anime club they introduced two new
            shows with "yaoi" and "yuri," Gravitation and I My Me Strawberry Eggs.
            (Before that they had shown Cardcaptor Sakura and Utena the movie but
            they never emphasized the yuri content it just happened. I did like
            Tomoyo's love for Sakura.) I thought both shows were pretty good but I
            didn't watch it for the yuri (and I couldn't stand 1 main character in
            Gravitation so it wasn't for the yaoi either.)

            If I recalled correctly, I saw an AMV featuring Kannazuki no Miko. I
            thought it looked pretty cool. I checked it out. Minus 1 scene in the
            show I was okay with it so I decided to check out other yuri like
            titles. Marimite solidified it for me though. The subtly of the
            relationships reminded me of Mulder and Scully and Xena and Gabrielle.
            After that I had no problems watching yuri.

            In short there was around a 2-3 year delay before I knew what yuri was
            and before I actually became more of a yuri fan. (Though I can't say
            I'm only a yuri fan, I'm an anime fan with broad tastes. lol)
          • samantha luquin
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1 8:24 PM

              Since I've been completely silent  for the past few months here is the full and extended version of how I came to like yuri.

              I was thirteen and I had become much more knowledgeable  about anime and manga.  My group of friends generally liked the stuff too, but had tastes very different from my own.  They all liked Inuyasha , yaoi,  and  drama series that I despised. I preferred Sailor Moon and Cyborg 009 and was becoming bored rather fast.

              We were talking one day and I remember being fed up with them talking about yaoi and BL. My complaints lead to a slight mention of yuri. My inquiry of what it was was answered as "Japanese cartoon lesbian porn". The conversation deviated some more.

              A while later I asked about yuri again and was met with rather unfriendly responses. Everyone seemed to find it disgusting...Naturally I got no answers and being the follow the leader type I was back then I agreed to their comments...

              One weekend I was very bored. My friends had suggested shows and websites to get me into BL and yaoi. It failed. I had some soda and marshmallows and I was still curious about this whole yuri thing. Of course I wasn't about to admit that...No, I told myself repeatedly  that I was going to laugh at  it because...it was gross.

              I went through some links, found lililicious, and looked through the various scans. I thought Marimite looked fun to poke at...I got my scan read through it and found myself pleasantly surprised. I soon found Strawberry Shake Sweet and Okazu and continued to be pleasantly surprised.

              I would go back to school the next week with my new found love. My friends looked at me oddly of course,but let me go on and on about yuri regardless. This whole tale of course has another form of significance to me. When I finally accepted that I did like yuri and that I had never even found it disturbing to begin with I dropped my follow the leader tendencies. Yay, I now question most everything including myself. I must say though...it is hard to sleep when you think so much.

              -Samantha

            • Firia L
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1 8:55 PM
                My reasons for being a fan of Yuri are very easy to follow. ;) I'm a gay woman (lesbian, for anyone struggling to keep up.^_^), and a fan of anime/manga. Indeed, I plan on making a comicbook some day. I hope it doesn't end there, but I havn't thought to much about what lays beyond. So, I'm a manga/anime fan, and I say to myself, "Yaknow, something that caters to my romantic interest would be nice. This shy-klutzy-girl-meets-polite-protective-boy angle sure gets old quick." It does too-- how many highschool settings can you stomache after a while, yaknow?

                So I sought out looking for good Yuri. I was immediately disapointed. Being in the states, good yuri was hard to find-- esspecially since I didn't know it was called 'Yuri.' I kept looking for "lesbian themed anime," and getting Sailor Mercury + Sailor Jupitor hentai. Not bad, but not what I was looking for, ;) Even after I learned that "Yuri" was the appropriate language for this interest, I discovered alot of Yuri was simple subtext. A girl is interested in another girl, but it's all subtext. The implications were all there, but no confirmation or real satasfaction.

                Sailor Moon had long been cancled in the states (I learned later it was revived, but the Uranus-Neptune angle was all Best-friendsy, so I didn't care), Utena was introduced to me years after its popularity had faded, and I found the first real satasfaction.

                THEN, when I wasn't looking, "Strawberry Panic" came along. :) Oh yeah, that was a good one. NO subtext at all, all women interested in women, and plenty for my heart to feast on. I was upset at first, cause it seemed only subtext, but then as the ball started to roll, I realised, "hey, that isn't subtext! That's her being shy!"

                Then somehow I found Lililisious. :) I hadn't even discovered the scan archive until someone did a review of one. I promptly downloaded everything I could. X_x That took... a while. Clicking links, thankful for the "download all" in some sections.

                So, while I'm not ready to fall head over heels on Yuri, I am an avid reader/watcher now. :) Even the subtext, sometimes, is fun.

                -Lyta

                To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1 9:19 PM
                  It is kind of embarassing, really.
                  I didn't even question my sexuality back then. Well, perhaps this
                  thought poped up from time to time, but nothing major. I just assumed
                  that I liked boys. The alternative seemed unrealistic. It could
                  happen to someone else, someone important, not for average girl like
                  me. At least, this is what I thought.

                  So, after giving it some though, I decided that I should watch
                  hentai, so I could "prepare" myself. Seems silly right now, but this
                  was my thought process. Immediately I started searching for a title
                  that I might enjoy. Found some discussion on the topic at hand. Some
                  people advised to go slowly, to start with yaoi or yuri. Something
                  like... oh, well... Utena. I didn't know what those big words ment.

                  I didn't know about Utena, either. So, my opinion of it, initially,
                  was that it is some kind of soft porn.

                  But I decided to do more investigation. I looked up those big words,
                  and I authomatically figured out that I would probably _not_ like
                  yaoi. Yuri, on the other hand...

                  So I started searching for yuri titles that I would like to watch. In
                  the end, my choise was between Marimite and SutoPani. I chose
                  Strawberry Panic, and could not hold myself back ever since.
                • Jaymie C
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1 11:25 PM
                    Me, i am actually playing catch-up right now on series; i was an anime fan back during the airings of Sailor Moon on USA Network. Of course, that hooked me straight in; to this day i am still very much a Makoto/Ami fan. Later realized i was lesbian, natch, but i loved Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura (especially Tomoyo, i hated the dub name Madison). Of course, some bad stuff happened to me, especially the falling-out with my parents, but now that i am fully back on my feet, naturally i find out all these neat series came out (SP!, Marimite, Yamibou, Kannazuki, Gokujou Seitokai...). Got some help from a friend, linked into Otenba and Lililicious; through that, Erica's blog Okazu, and through that the Yuricon website.

                  • Jen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 2 1:40 AM
                      In the early days of licensed anime, 'Tenchi Muyo' was released, and
                      my youthful, bright-eyed self enjoyed it quite thoroughly. The male
                      lead's two romantic pursuers** Ryoko & Aeka shared a mutual loathing,
                      but the series occasionaly dropped the already common 'girl rivals
                      ignore their prey and go all kissy chu-chu with each other WHAT A
                      TWIST" trick, and I found it amusing.

                      And I ran with it. It made me laff.

                      My main introduction to anime was Ranma 1/2, which was a comedy about
                      a boy and girl who can't stand each other, but become so entwined
                      through family circumstance the story revolves around their
                      inescapable romance. Plus the hook is the boy's body changes into a
                      busty redhead girl's body when drenched with water, while the girl
                      frequently punches his lights out. The old 'enemies become lovers'
                      thing was a plot device firmly set in my mind (as was quirky gender
                      rolebending), so when it came to Tenchi Muyo's Ryoko & Aeka, the yuri
                      idea landed on fertilized ground.

                      And the more I ran with it, the more funny it became. Soon I was the
                      community's resident "expert/pioneer" of 'The Princess & the Pirate'
                      yuri. Then came the photoshopping. Then the music videos. Then
                      along came Yuri Studios.

                      And now here I am.

                      Funny how my own sexuality and leanings played absolutely no part in
                      my yuri fandom. I like that.

                      Kisses XXOOXX
                      Jen

                      ** The fact that the romance in the Tenchi Muyo series was all about
                      the girl's love/lust/ for the asexual guy and focused on their
                      attempts to seduce him probably helped my intro to yuri as well,
                      subconciously pushing the idea of the girl being the one to reach out
                      and get some lovin', rather than my young mind simply accepting that
                      it's "simply understood" that it is the man who attempts to win the
                      heart of his beloved, while the girl has no such ambition.
                    • Haruchin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2 8:03 AM
                        Hmm... slightly embarrassed about how I got into yuri, but here goes...

                        I'd been into anime for about six months (having always fancied checking it out, but never getting the courage together to buy a DVD and find out), and was watching School Rumble of all things, when there was this fabulous dancing scene between Eri and Yakumo which made me sit up and take notice.

                        I knew that people often wrote fanfics slashing characters together, so set out to find if anyone had put together an Eri x Yakumo fic - and discovered Yuribou. Now I've got a lot of time for Yuribou, but clearly that blog was more into the hentai aspects of yuri which is all well and good, but not quite what I'm generally after, so I basically went through his blog links looking for more, and discovered Okazu. I didn't look back.

                        Oddly, I guess I enjoy yuri because it's a way to explore sides of myself that I find aren't satisfied by the standard relationship patterns out there. I would read lesbian literature if I could work out where to start, but for the moment I haven't, and so anime and manga is where I get to explore the ideas of girls liking each other, in every possible way.

                        So there you are. :)

                        Haru

                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
                        Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:09:50 +0000

[...]

                        Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now
                      • Eric
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2 12:25 PM
                          In my high school, me and my buds got to watch some Tenchi Muyo, but
                          not a whole lot due to the inappropriate nudity. When we were done
                          with it, one of us came up and said he would bring a new series in,
                          saying if we liked Tenchi then we'd love Battle Athletes Victory. I
                          decided not to watch a whole series with everyone and figured I'd
                          spend my free time between classes (they could only watch the show in
                          segments because of this) on other things; this was before Kris
                          Kristopher came on. I was in the same room right when Kris started
                          flirting and hitting on Akari, and I found myself coming over and
                          sitting down as part of the audience. It wasn't so much because of
                          the lesbian flirting alone that drew me in, but also because it was
                          just something I never watched on TV before. I got hooked to the rest
                          of the series from there. However, at the time I didn't recognize
                          myself as a yuri fan nor did I have any knowledge of that word.

                          It wasn't until my early twenties that I started thinking about
                          girl/girl relationships, because hetero romances were starting to get
                          really old. The first yuri title that I've heard, piqued my interest,
                          and look forward to its domestic release was Kannazuki. Strawberry
                          Panic followed afterwards, and then I became aware of yuri as a
                          genre. 2005 was my first year at Otakon, when I first met Erica
                          Friedman and attended the yuri panel. There I discovered about Okazu,
                          this mailing list, and that ironically the two titles that got me
                          into the genre happen to be the least popular and list other and
                          better titles. I've been a real yuri fan and really up to date on
                          everything since then and already seen other great titles like Utena
                          and Devil Lady--Pachy
                        • Rose Tulip
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2 7:53 PM
                            I've known I was interested in other women since 7th grade. I've also seemed to particularly enjoy anime and manga, but for some reason or another, I never thought to put them together. Even after Gundam Wing fanfiction had ushered me into the world of Yaoi, Yuri never crossed my mind. Nevertheless, Sailor Uranus and Neptune had peaked my curiosity at a very young age and I wasn't immune to, what I recognize now as, the occasional Yuri fanservice (*cough*LoveHina). Those always sent me stumbling backwards to figure out if that kiss had really just happened. I believe the first anime I bought with the intention of watching the girl x girl relationships was Vandread back when I was a highschool freshy. That interest halted along with my disappearing allowance.

                            Years later, in my junior year of high-school, my sister bought a Noir CD for my bday. My sisters and I <3 the soundtrack after watching the first 7 episodes two years ago, which was all our Blockbuster had. (This was before youtube.) The disk sent me searching to finish watching the series, and thus started an avalanche. Finishing Noir led to the inevitable search for Noir fanfics which of course led to shoujo-ai.com... "Shoujo-ai? What is this... Wow. Cool." I hit up BeeTrain, smashed through Madlax, Kannazuki no Miko, Mai-HiME, all the while anxiously waiting for El Cazador. Finally I stumbled upon Okazu and lililicious.net. What a win that was. With my busy schedule, I've only ever had time to update myself with yuri in the anime world, and it's a niche that I don't plan to abandon... ever. EVAR!

                            Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn. ~Mahatma Gandhi

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4 1:23 PM
                              i would have to say that when i started playing roleplaying games
                              with a group of older people in freshman year of high school one the
                              guys would play a lot of female charaters and for some reason i took
                              that idea and ran with it and added the twist that most are gay....
                              i have been gaming for years and i end up playing lots of female
                              charaters that are young and gay, and then i got into anime and found
                              fan fiction after some point in the mid 90's when someone gave me a
                              copy of mama's hand and sailor moon v. after highschool i really got
                              into buysing some lesbo adult bids when i could. the first anime the
                              i really got into was ranma 1/2 and the dirty pair. one of the guys i
                              hung out with was really into henti so that lead into lots of anime
                              henti and some some reason a got into having a lesbo fetish...sigh..i
                              know i am werid. this even lead to me joining a gay club at the local
                              college and being the vp....a stg guy as the vp..just to weird.
                              after wathcing el-hazard it was love at first site with priness
                              futora and her lover allie being bigger pervs then happy and lums
                              boyfriend.
                              i due rember the project ako love tri-angle.
                              i got into the big girl titals inthe 90's cause everyone was tlaking
                              about it and picked up unitna and loved it. found out about yuri con
                              in 2003 from animeica i think and wanted to attnd the next year, but
                              it fell though. then found the mailing list and have been here ever
                              since....
                              i found anime around 1989/1990 and that was freshman year of high
                              school and i am know 33...sigh..where does time go...
                            • chia_fantisy_game
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4 1:43 PM
                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "jason" <sacranoidclub@...> wrote:

                                > i would have to say that when i started playing roleplaying games
                                > with a group of older people in freshman year of high school one the
                                > guys would play a lot of female charaters and for some reason i took
                                > that idea and ran with it and added the twist that most are gay....
                                > i have been gaming for years and i end up playing lots of female
                                > charaters that are young and gay, and then i got into anime and found
                                > fan fiction after some point in the mid 90's when someone gave me a
                                > copy of mama's hand and sailor moon v. after highschool i really got
                                > into buysing some lesbo adult bids when i could. the first anime the
                                > i really got into was ranma 1/2 and the dirty pair. one of the guys i
                                > hung out with was really into henti so that lead into lots of anime
                                > henti and some some reason a got into having a lesbo fetish...sigh..i
                                > know i am werid. this even lead to me joining a gay club at the local
                                > college and being the vp....a stg guy as the vp..just to weird.
                                > after wathcing el-hazard it was love at first site with priness
                                > futora and her lover allie being bigger pervs then happy and lums
                                > boyfriend.
                                > i due rember the project ako love tri-angle.
                                > i got into the big girl titals inthe 90's cause everyone was tlaking
                                > about it and picked up unitna and loved it. found out about yuri con
                                > in 2003 from animeica i think and wanted to attnd the next year, but
                                > it fell though. then found the mailing list and have been here ever
                                > since....
                                > i found anime around 1989/1990 and that was freshman year of high
                                > school and i am know 33...sigh..where does time go...

                                I've always enjoyed Sailor Moon even before I knew what anime
                                was :) I also enjoy Revolutionary Girl Utena and Maria Sama ga Miteru
                                as well as many other Yuri, but i definitely trace to roots back to
                                Sailor Moon.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4 5:57 PM
                                  I got into Yuri through Sailor Moon, as did so many people in the mid-late 90s. Specifically, because of Ogata Megumi, the voice of Haruka, whoch sent (and still sends) shivers up my spine. lol Haruka and Neptune still reign as Queens of Yuri in my mind.

                                  Yuricon was created because of some anti-Yuri sentiment at a con I was on the staff of some 8 years ago. At the time, Yaoi/Boys Love was still in its infancy and the rest of the staff was far more interested in that, and more or less uninterested and squicked by Yuri. So, I decided to create my own community, site and ultimately, con.

                                  Crazy, huh?

                                  Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                                  http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 5 5:42 PM
                                    > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    > From: jajchan@...
                                    > Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:51:01 +0000
                                    > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: What made you a fan of Yuri?
                                    >
                                    > I found out about Yuri from a presentation of the Utena movie. Things
                                    > all went downhill from there :) I've found the Okazu blog to be very
                                    > helpful in my search for more (thanks, Erica!!) and am anxiously
                                    > awaiting the arrival of Marimite in our local stores.

                                    My pleasure - glad it's of some use.

                                    I kind of feel these days that all my posts here read like this:

                                    "I reviewed that on Okazu."

                                    lol

                                    I'm so busy keeping up on the new stuff, that I don't have much time to talk about the old stuff - and everything that comes out here is already "old" to me. :-)

                                    Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
                                    http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008
                                  • blu_gloo
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 5 8:59 PM
                                      It all started with Strawberry Panic. It was the first time I was
                                      hooked on anime. Back then, I had no idea that I liked SP
                                      because of the fact that girls were having crushes on girls (well,
                                      maybe more than just crushes).

                                      Afterwards, the same friend that recommended SP recommended Venus
                                      versus Virus. I liked that too, but I still had no idea I had become
                                      a yuri fan. It was also about then that I learned what yaoi and yuri
                                      were.

                                      After watching a load of shounen titles which that same friend
                                      recommended (Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist etc.) I was convinced I
                                      was a fan of shounen (I despise most shoujo, it just annoys the hell
                                      out of me. I'm still not sure why).

                                      But I couldn't stop thinking about SP and VvV. I wanted more. I
                                      wanted more....yuri?

                                      So one year after starting SP, I was sitting at the same desk, same
                                      computer watching Marimite. I was totally addicted.

                                      I've since discovered Okazu, Yuricon and the joy of yuri fanfics.

                                      I am also proud to say that so far, I have only liked one male anime
                                      character. All my other favs are female ^^ (I'm female btw, if that
                                      wasn't a big enough hint)

                                      GJ
                                    • Katherine
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 6 8:14 AM
                                        Well, my first exposure yuri was watching the poorly edited version of
                                        Sailor Moon on TV when I was in elementary school. It didn't take long
                                        for me to take my love of SM online, and along with looking up all of
                                        the senshi's favorite foods, birthdays, blood types, etc (I was that
                                        obsessed), I found out about Haruka and Michiru definitely being an
                                        item (even when I first watched them as "cousins", I sensed there was
                                        something off lol). Then I read the manga, which technically was my
                                        first real exposure to yuri, even though I was too young to appreciate
                                        it. lol

                                        Then when I was in sixth grade, and getting into a lot more titles
                                        (like Fushigi Yuugi, Tenchi, and Yu Yu Hakusho) one of my 8th grade
                                        friends in the anime club got the Utena movie on VHS without knowing
                                        what it was, and we all (all girls back then) took turns borrowing it
                                        from her. We all thought it was awesome ("Pretty flowers!! Cool sword
                                        fights!!"), even though we didn't really understand it. Plus, another
                                        friend of mine had the last SM Stars episodes on VHS, in which I
                                        finally saw some of Haruka and Michiru unedited (yet I still didn't
                                        appreciate it).

                                        I finally became a bona fide yuri fan when my sophomore year of high
                                        school had just ended, and I watched Kannazuki no Miko (of all series)
                                        online. It's a crappy show, in my current opinion, and it has all of
                                        the subtlety of a jackhammer on pavement, but I loved it back then,
                                        and it gave me that "Aha!" moment where I started realizing I was gay.
                                        Thence, I watched all of the yuri I could find until I became
                                        jaded/mature enough to tell the difference between Strawberry Panic
                                        and Strawberry Shake Sweet.
                                      • m.dickenz
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 18 3:52 PM
                                          i became a fan of yuri about five or seven months ago, which, compared to everyone else
                                          here, is pretty recent. Before, i was more into straight couples, like RoyXRiza from Fullmetal
                                          Alchemist. But it became boring after a while, especially after reading all the straight
                                          fanfiction, so i thought i'd try Yaoi, cuz there seemed to be quite alot of those with
                                          characters i loved. But then yaoi started to get boring too. It was kinda strange, cuz the same
                                          thing seemed to happen with the same couples in each fanfiction and doujinshi i read. By
                                          that time, i was slowly dirifting away from anime because nothing seemed interesting. I
                                          asked my Onee-chan what she recommened, cuz she is always up to date with manga and
                                          anime. She recommened Kannazuki no Miko. I had no idea what it was, but i watched it
                                          anyway, and it turned out to be yuri, something that i never really paid attention too. At first,
                                          I thought, 'This is so werid and stupid' but I couldn't help but fall in love with the main
                                          characters. I watched all the episodes, and loved the HimekoXChikane pairing, but ending up
                                          not liking the rest (i'm not a big mecha fan). I asked my Onee-chan for another
                                          recommendation, and she suggested Strawberry Panic. Ever sine then, I've been hooked on
                                          Yuri. I'm currently watching the Japanese version of Sailor Moon.

                                          It's wonderful to see that girls can fight, stand up for themselves, and more importantly, be
                                          themselves in an anime.

                                          -Mango
                                        • shiki_ryuokami
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 26 8:00 AM
                                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "m.dickenz" <m.dickenz@...> wrote:

                                            hmm...maybe some months ago? just like m.dickenz, i used to like
                                            straight anime's rather than yaoi or yuri. like the pairing in the
                                            bleach anime rukiaxichigo
                                            but i started getting bored at them and belive it or not whenever i
                                            watch anime like that i started drifting to sleep.
                                            i asked one of my classmates if she has a new anime dvd and asked if
                                            can borrow it.
                                            then she let me borrow the whole series of Maria-sama ga Miteru. after
                                            watching that anime i got hooked by yuri.

                                            now that i think about it, i hate the way boys think about themselves
                                            higher than girls. maybe that's the reason why i got tired and bored
                                            in straight animes. yaoi animes are fine but i prefer yuri.